Mark Colvin

This forum contains a topic per member, each representing a personal diary.
Wurzel
Stock Contributor
Stock Contributor

Re: Mark Colvin

Post by Wurzel »

A cracking read Mark and a bird I'd love to have on my list :mrgreen: but after 5 lifers so far this year I mustn't be too greedy :D

Have a goodun

Wurzel

Diary entries for 2012 have been archived. If there are missing images in this post, then they can be found in this archive if one exists. All archives can be found here.
Mark Colvin

Post by Mark Colvin »

Hi Wurzel,

I had a strange feeling I might hear from your good self. :wink:

As driving all the way to Gwent was out of the question (obviously not hardcore enough), today was a toss up between the Warbler or popping down to Hampshire for the Spanish Sparrow and the Junco. I decided to go for the LBJ as I felt it would be the harder one to get plus I didn't really fancy the longer drive.

Maybe later this week ...

Good hunting.

Kind regards. Mark

Diary entries for 2012 have been archived. If there are missing images in this post, then they can be found in this archive if one exists. All archives can be found here.
Mark Colvin

Post by Mark Colvin »

Heyshott Escarpment, 29 February 2012

A fragrant breeze …

Today, as we climbed the hill leading to our work area, one couldn’t help but notice the signs of spring, including the fresh aroma and beauty of the primroses pushing through the previous season’s undergrowth. It is wishful thinking to hope, that the large area our small team has cleared this past winter, will be covered in primulas this coming season. In reality, this will probably take several springs but rest assured it will happen and the air above will be filled with insects. In the meantime one can only dream and wait in anticipation.

In addition to Neil, Colin Knight and seven members of the Murray Downland Trust joined me today for another productive work party. After today’s session, there are just four remaining dates scheduled for this season. On my way home from Heyshott I popped in to my local wood where the wild daffodils, bluebells and primroses are starting to show. The ground in places scattered with snowdrops …

Roll on next week …
UKBP1000010.JPG
UKBP1000090.JPG

Mark Colvin

Post by Mark Colvin »

Plaistow, 8 March 2012

Amphibious activity …

Overnight and as if by magic my pond is once again awash with frogspawn. Every year I keep a close watch for returning Common Frogs (Rana temporaria), their presence often betrayed by their calling.

Generally emerging from hibernation in late February spawning typically takes place in my pond in early March, though in some seasons the frogs emerge sooner and spawn as early as January. The females are ready to spawn immediately after hibernation and the animals enter into amplexus (the term describing the act of the smaller male clasping the female underneath in a nuptial embrace) very soon after arriving at their breeding sites. The spawn is laid in clumps and typically consists of 300-400 gelatinous eggs containing tiny black embryos. As the female lays her eggs the male expels sperm to fertilize them. The very young tadpoles are black but soon become speckled brown in colouration making them distinguishable from the permanently black tadpoles of the Common Toad (Bufo bufo). The tadpoles develop throughout the summer and emerge as tiny froglets in wet weather during August or September.

I recently read an article describing R. temporaria activity in the French Alps. I was particularly interested to note that cold-climate frogs grow far more slowly than their relatives in temperate areas, but typically live much longer (12 years, compared to 5 for lowland frogs) and grow somewhat larger. They are also active during the warmer daylight hours unlike their cousins elsewhere. Though egg laying occurs in spring, frog pairs in mountain habitats can begin hibernation in amplexus which may possibly provide a reproductive advantage by allowing mating as quickly as possible once warm weather arrives. Eggs of high-elevation frogs may also be 30% larger than those of lowland females, giving the tadpoles a head start.

Another sign of spring ...
UKBP1000404.JPG

Mark Colvin

Post by Mark Colvin »

Heyshott Escarpment, 12 March 2012

Dukes on the Edge …

The Duke of Burgundy is one of the UK's fastest declining butterflies, having suffered a population drop of 35% from 1979 to 2008. It has disappeared from at least 153 of its former known sites. Butterfly Conservation’s ‘The Dukes on the Edge’ project (2011-2014) is targeting an area in the South East of England where the rapidly declining butterfly is clinging to survival.

Heyshott Escarpment, located within a small corner of the South Downs National Park, is one of the Duke’s few remaining strongholds. However, this is only being achieved by the continuing conservation efforts of a small group of dedicated individuals under the guidance and leadership of Neil Hulme (Sussex Butterfly Conservation) and ecologist Mike Edwards (The Murray Downland Trust). Work, undertaken by volunteers in both Kent and Sussex, has shown that populations can recover where appropriate habitat management is implemented and this is the trend currently being observed at Heyshott. The Duke of Burgundy is reliant on scrubby calcareous grassland and sunny woodland clearings where its eggs are deposited on cowslip, or primrose in more wooded environments. Changes in the nature of agricultural and forestry practices have led to required habitats becoming overgrown and consequently unsuitable. As the Duke has struggled to find the food plants it needs to breed and prosper, it has sadly become extinct across much of its former range in the UK.

Butterfly Conservation is leading the fight to save this fascinating butterfly and through the Dukes on the Edge project aims:

➢ To assess the status of the Duke of Burgundy and its habitat
➢ To maintain and enhance existing habitat and create new Duke of Burgundy habitat (e.g. through coppicing, ride management, scrub management)
➢ Undertake reintroductions on selected sites
➢ Monitoring the impact of management on habitat condition and the butterfly's population.

Project activities:

➢ Public events to raise awareness of the conservation importance of the South Downs for the Duke of Burgundy
➢ The creation of a ‘Dukes on the Edge Action Group’.
➢ Mapping of the locations of managed habitat, together with Duke of Burgundy records on GIS
➢ Training events for volunteers to enable them to participate in conservation tasks, surveying and monitoring

Please support the Duke in your area ...
Eastern sector (looking north) of Heyshott Escarpment
Eastern sector (looking north) of Heyshott Escarpment

Gibster

Post by Gibster »

Wow. That is a very sobering photo you've posted, Mark.

It shows a very small, yet massively isolated habitat with no hope of surviving in it's current state without ongoing human management. A statement which doubtless holds true for many of the plant and invertebrate communities within.

Photos like that just emphasise the importance of maintaining (or failing that, creating) such hugely threatened sites for the continued survival of the species reliant upon them. The Duke is, of course, a perfect flagship species for the cause. I don't generally advocate reintroductions, but lets face it...there really isn't much option in a landscape such as that.

It's a sad scene, I'm just pleased to know that the practical conservationists are out there doing their bit for the environment. A pity there aren't more like-minded, able-bodied people willing to give it a go. And Bravo to all those who do.

Gibster.

Raising £10,000 for Butterfly Conservation by WALKING 1200 miles from Land's End to John O'Groats!!!
See http://www.justgiving.com/epicbutterflywalk or look up Epic Butterfly Walk on Facebook.
Neil Hulme

Post by Neil Hulme »

Don't worry too much about this particular case Gibster. We are working with various other parties in the area (FC, Graffham Down Trust, South Downs National Park Authority etc) to create habitat corridors through Charlton Forest immediately south of the improved meadow at the bottom of the frame, connecting to the Graffham Down Trust Reserve a couple of Kms to the east. In conjunction with the recently launched 'Dukes on the Edge' project, the work that's been going on for many years at Branch level will link sites all the way along the Downs from East Hampshire to the far side of West Sussex. If it's not done on this landscape scale it will only delay the inevitable.
Neil

Gibster

Post by Gibster »

Aah! Well, why didn't you say so earlier!! :lol:

Raising £10,000 for Butterfly Conservation by WALKING 1200 miles from Land's End to John O'Groats!!!
See http://www.justgiving.com/epicbutterflywalk or look up Epic Butterfly Walk on Facebook.
Mark Colvin

Post by Mark Colvin »

Hi Seth,

Many thanks for your considered message. I’m glad my picture provoked a response in you and I hope it generated a similar feeling in others, especially as I was hanging out of a helicopter at around 1000 feet when I took it!

As Neil has already pointed out, the situation here is not as bad as it may first appear from my picture, as this site does not sit in total isolation from others. In addition, Butterfly Conservation, along with a number of other organisations and committed individuals, are working hard to ensure the Duke’s survival. It is a sad fact that “without ongoing human management” this site, and indeed many others, would not exist in the form it does today. Whether we create scrapes for waders, burn heather for the benefits of red grouse or flood water meadows for wintering wildfowl (one could go on) man does and always will manage the environment for the benefit of some and to the disadvantage of others. We have of course been doing this since man first started to farm the land.

I have only been involved in the conservation efforts at Heyshott Escarpment since last year. I find our work extremely addictive and in my own small way feel I am giving a little something back. I certainly believe that what we are doing is good and right.

Thanks again.

Good hunting.

Kind regards. Mark

David M

Post by David M »

Mark Colvin wrote:Hi Seth,

Many thanks for your considered message. I’m glad my picture provoked a response in you and I hope it generated a similar feeling in others, especially as I was hanging out of a helicopter at around 1000 feet when I took it!
I did wonder how you'd managed to attain so much elevation. Fair play, to take that photo yourself demanded courage (and probably more than a few shekels).

Excellent image.

Mark Colvin

Post by Mark Colvin »

Hi David,

Many thanks for your kind comments. I'm glad you liked the picture.
David M wrote:Fair play, to take that photo yourself demanded courage (and probably more than a few shekels).
Fortunately not a single shekel, just a good friend with a rather nice toy.

Good hunting.

Kind regards. Mark

Wurzel
Stock Contributor
Stock Contributor

Post by Wurzel »

Thank you Mark for opening my eyes a little wider. It's very easy to enjoy butterflies, and very easy to be fooled by the "mulitudes" that we see during the season which does make it difficult sometimes to realise how threatened some species actually are. Your writings have made me think ahead to the new season where I will now watch and observe more, record more and try where possible to tread more lightly.

Have a goodun

Wurzel

Mark Colvin

Post by Mark Colvin »

Park Corner Heath Reserve, 13 March 2012

Billy no mates …

Early this afternoon I joined Colin Knight for a stroll around BCs Park Corner Heath Reserve in East Sussex. Spurned on by the Brimstones, Commas and Peacocks recently reported, we had high hopes. Despite ‘The Great Awakening’ of yesterday we were greeted only with ‘The Great Sleep’ of today. I do sometimes wonder if Neil takes along his own tame butterflies and then packs them up and takes them home in readiness for another day …

Despite the lack of butterflies, we enjoyed a very pleasant walk around this super reserve where wonders have been accomplished in opening up the woodland in readiness for the coming season. Our spirits were lifted as we observed at least seven pairs of Common Toad (Bufo bufo) in amplexus. Several strings of spawn were noted. A lone specimen, apparently not invited to the party, was found wrapped in dry leaves under a sheet of corrugated iron.

We didn’t see the sun on what turned out to be a fairly cool afternoon.

Maybe tomorrow ...
UKBP1000562.JPG

Mark Colvin

Post by Mark Colvin »

Hi Wurzel,

Thank you for your very kind message.
Wurzel wrote:Thank you Mark for opening my eyes a little wider. It's very easy to enjoy butterflies, and very easy to be fooled by the "mulitudes" that we see during the season which does make it difficult sometimes to realise how threatened some species actually are. Your writings have made me think ahead to the new season where I will now watch and observe more, record more and try where possible to tread more lightly.
I can ask no more.

Good hunting.

Kind regards. Mark

Mark Colvin

Post by Mark Colvin »

Chiddingfold Forest, 14 March 2012

Antzzzzzzz …

After a rather cold and overcast morning the sun finally emerged through the clouds at around 1.30pm. This was just the excuse I needed. By 2pm I was walking through Oaken Wood and heading deeper into the Chiddingfold Forest complex. Despite my best efforts, the blue sky and warming sun failed to arouse any butterflies. However, all was not lost, as there is always something to observe and today I was drawn, as often before, to the multitudes of ants going about their business.

Formica rufa is one of four British species of wood ant and is confined to England and Wales. There is some indication that there has been a contraction of its range in recent years especially in northern, central and eastern England and also in areas of Wales. In many parts of its southern range the species is still locally common and even expanding in some regions. The apparent indication of a contraction of the range may be due, in part, to a lack of recording effort in certain areas. There is also a possibility that some historical records for this species in northern and central Britain have arisen through confusion with Formica lugubris, due to an overlap of the two species range in northern England. The large nest mounds of F. rufa will no doubt be familiar to many people. They are composed of numerous tiny fragments of vegetation collected by the worker caste. There may be up to 400,000 individuals in a single nest. Occasionally, several nests may be interconnected, forming one large mega-colony. Where F. rufa is present in any numbers it can have a significant influence on the ecology of its woodland habitat. The ants are major predators and scavengers of woodland insects and feed extensively on aphid honeydew. Their colonies also support a wide range of myrmecophilous arthropods.

It should be pointed out that it can be a risky business getting too close to their nest. Some may even say foolhardy. It is most certainly not an act for the fainthearted as the ants react extremely quickly and aggressively to any intruder in their midst.

They do bite …

I can vouch for that …
Formica rufa, Chiddingfold Forest (14 March 2012)
Formica rufa, Chiddingfold Forest (14 March 2012)

David M

Post by David M »

They sure look pretty nasty, Mark.

Mark Colvin

Post by Mark Colvin »

Sussex BC Spring Social, 17 March 2012

Uncharted territory …

Passport and visas packed, phrase book at the ready, today started off with a long drive across the border into the darkest depths of East Sussex. Robertsbridge Community Hall was my destination for the Spring Social of Sussex Butterfly Conservation.

After the usual welcome and announcements Michael Blencowe, our resident speaker, gave a detailed and humorous presentation on progress to date of the Sussex Butterfly Atlas. The Sussex Butterfly Atlas project was launched in 2010. It is the aim of Sussex Butterfly Conservation to map the distribution of the butterflies of Sussex over the five-year period 2010-2014. An incredible 80,000 records have been received and processed to date. After a short break for tea and raffle, Heather Martin, representing the Rother Guardians, gave a brief presentation of activities. Chris Bentley, our guest speaker, then spoke of the lepidoptera and habitat types to be found at the 326 hectare Rye Harbour Nature Reserve, which is one of the most important conservation sites on the Sussex coast. Rye Harbour Nature Reserve has been recognised as a Site of Special Scientific Interest, a Special Protection Area for birds, a Special Area of Conservation under the EU Habitats Directive and a candidate Ramsar site that takes account of its importance as a wetland on an international scale. Chris has been Warden on the reserve since 2004.

http://www.wildrye.info

A pleasant way to spend a wet afternoon …
Michael Blencowe discussing the Sussex Butterfly Atlas
Michael Blencowe discussing the Sussex Butterfly Atlas
Chris Bentley from Rye Harbour Nature Reserve
Chris Bentley from Rye Harbour Nature Reserve
Visitors site plan of Rye Harbour Nature Reserve
Visitors site plan of Rye Harbour Nature Reserve

ChrisC

Post by ChrisC »

Mark Colvin wrote:Sussex BC Spring Social, 17 March 2012

Passport and visas packed, phrase book at the ready, today started off with a long drive across the border into the darkest depths of East Sussex. Robertsbridge Community Hall was my destination for the Spring Social of Sussex Butterfly Conservation.
any duty free? :) it is cracking reserve, have been there a couple of times. Isaw my first lizard of any description there and if i remember correctly i think i had my first corn bunting there too.
all the best
Chris

Susie

Post by Susie »

Great report, Mark. It was lovely to see you and other familiar faces again ready for the new season.

Now I just need to see a butterfly .....

Mark Colvin

Post by Mark Colvin »

Earnley Butterflies, 19 March 2012 - Part 1

Wisley revisited (well not quite) …

I awoke to a clear blue sky and golden sunshine. Despite a frosty start, a Red Admiral fluttering against the window of my east facing study bode well for a good day ahead.

I had previously agreed to meet Colin and Susie at Earnley Butterflies near Chichester in West Sussex. After "Butterflies in the Glasshouse" at Wisley, I wasn’t expecting too much and to be fair, it would be wrong to compare them. Wisley is blessed with its fabulous cathedral-like glasshouse, equal in size to ten tennis courts and rising some 12 metres (40 feet) in height, with its display exhibited over two levels. Entering the glasshouse is like walking into a jungle - tree ferns, tall palms, lush-leaved creepers and dazzling flower displays give an air of expectation and impending drama. In comparison, Earnley comprises of one very small glasshouse with a selection of nectar sources and feed stations and a small pond located in one corner. However, Earnley provided a selection of species previously unseen and due to their more restricted flight zone, photo opportunities were readily forthcoming.

A rainy day may find me there again …
Common Olivewing (male), (Nessaea aglaura)

Return to “Personal Diaries”