Spring Flowers for butterflies

Discussion forum for butterfly foodplants, and butterfly gardening in general.
David M

Re: Spring Flowers for butterflies

Post by David M »

Michaeljf wrote:I forgot to mention Ragged Robin as a good nectar source in spring
Yes, I've seen Orange Tips, GV Whites and even SPBFs settled on Ragged Robin. It's practically a spring-flowering knapweed.
millerd

Post by millerd »

I have a shot of a Marsh Fritillary ignoring a bluebell...

I remember being slightly disappointed as the colour contrast would have been interesting.

Dave
Attachments
MF+Bluebell resized.JPG
hilary

Post by hilary »

It was warm and sunny today and I half expected to see a Brimstone out and about! Was quite glad none turned up in my garden because there is nothing much for them to eat. I have seen Aubrieta well into flower in one or two gardens (not mine), But Primroses are starting to flower and they do very occasionally feed on (as the picture does not quite show! but it was feeding.)
Attachments
P1030828 copy.jpg
Dave McCormick

Post by Dave McCormick »

It may be a common "weed" but one of the best plants in spring for insects, butterflies, bees etc... is dandelions, I have seen today and yesterday, butterflies and bees going from dandelion flower to another and another and seen bees and flies also love the flowers. I concur also with ragged robin and cuckoo flower as well.
Cheers all,
My Website: My new website: http://daveslepidoptera.com/ - Last Update: 11/10/2011
My Nature videos: http://www.youtube.com/user/DynamixWarePro

Return to “Foodplants and Gardening”