Wisley, etc

Discussion forum for anything that doesn't fit elsewhere!
MikeOxon

Re: Wisley, etc

Post by MikeOxon »

David M wrote:Merely by existing we deprive huge numbers of other creatures of their lives.
So do most creatures! There's a 'food chain' and it's tough for those at the bottom of it!

Mike
hilary

Post by hilary »

[

"OK, one can argue it may stimulate interest in Lepidoptera, especially in the young and that’s certainly needed. But, does it? How many of us were initially turned on to butterflies by such exhibitions/events?"

To reveal a guilty secret.... as a 7yr old in the mid-sixties I saved up my pocket money to buy one of the dead tropical butterflies in a box sold at the seaside. Also badgered my parents to get a visit to a butterfly farm ( disappointed - no butterflies ) and remember expecting to see bird sized butterflies in the garden. But I think there is more to what triggerers a lasting attraction to something than mere exposure to its image - growing up in the Dorset countryside probably helped!

I havn't visited a Butterfly farm since but if they can't be said to spark an interest in UK butterfly conservation they must make even the adults that visit more inclined to see the importance of preserving their overseas habitats.

Regarding the butterflies individual well being - at one time it was thought only humans were capable of emotions, and animals simply 'reacted'. Now it seems that emotion is the bases for any 'action', but on the scale of the misery us humans cause to the rest of the animal species on the planet those butterflies are among the lucky ones.

I identify most strongly with the points raised on the subject of commerce - the whole of the 'nature' seems to have been allotted various price tags in an effort to make it fit into the economic system, like any other commodity. Doomed to be ridden with fiascos like the bio-fuel Palm oil ecological disaster, but depressingly seems the only option at present.

In short I see such places, all things considered, as probably one of the less harmfull commercial operations.
David M

Post by David M »

MikeOxon wrote:
David M wrote:Merely by existing we deprive huge numbers of other creatures of their lives.
So do most creatures! There's a 'food chain' and it's tough for those at the bottom of it!

Mike
'Tough' is the operative word. No other creatures care about conservation (except, that is, conserving themselves). They're too busy killing other life forms.
Susie

Post by Susie »

My only complaint about the butterflies at Wisley today was that there were no larval food plants for the butterflies to lay their eggs on, unless they laid on banana. The poor old females were flying around and tasting everything but to no avail and it must have been jolly uncomfortable to be full of eggs but with no where to lay them. :(

You males may rue the fact that you can't continue to fight and mate with multiple females but I am extremely pleased I don't have to give birth 100+ times; three babies were enough! :shock: :lol:
David M

Post by David M »

Susie wrote: I am extremely pleased I don't have to give birth 100+ times; three babies were enough!
Don't think it's quite such an ordeal for an egg laying invertebrate, Suze. :D
allanmacuser

Post by allanmacuser »

Hi l am new to this site could anyone please give me any information where l can go to see butterflies in zoo of other places in or around staffordshire. i am a wildlife photographer but l am getting more and more into macro work

regards
allan
stoke on trent
Matsukaze

Post by Matsukaze »

Hi Allan,

Although perhaps a bit of a way from you there is a well-known butterfly house in Stratford-on-Avon. Doubtless there are other places nearer at hand.
Susie

Post by Susie »

Stratford is a good one.

Return to “General”