Mark Colvin

This forum contains a topic per member, each representing a personal diary.
Vince Massimo
Administrator & Stock Contributor

Re: Mark Colvin

Post by Vince Massimo »

Love that Swallowtail Mark. Sorry I missed it :( ..........................blummin' M25

Vince

Diary entries for 2012 have been archived. If there are missing images in this post, then they can be found in this archive if one exists. All archives can be found here.
David M

Post by David M »

Yes, that Emerald Swallowtail is indeed a stunner.

Diary entries for 2012 have been archived. If there are missing images in this post, then they can be found in this archive if one exists. All archives can be found here.
Susie

Post by Susie »

Sure is a beauty! :-)

Mark Colvin

Post by Mark Colvin »

Dear Vince, David and Susie,

Thank you for your kind comments which are genuinely much appreciated. :D :D :D
Vince Massimo wrote:Love that Swallowtail Mark.
David M wrote:Yes, that Emerald Swallowtail is indeed a stunner.
Susie wrote:Sure is a beauty!
I too was very pleased with the shot though the one of the Indian Leafwing gave me more pleasure as it was much harder to get.

More to follow ...

Kind regards. Mark

Mark Colvin

Post by Mark Colvin »

RHS Wisley, 27 January 2012 – Part 5

Butterflies in the Glasshouse (14 January – 26 February 2012)

Continued ...

Time to rest …
Malachite (Siproeta stelenes)
Malachite (Siproeta stelenes)
Indian Leafwing (Kallima paralekta)
Indian Leafwing (Kallima paralekta)

Mark Colvin

Post by Mark Colvin »

RHS Wisley, 27 January 2012 – Part 6

Continued …

Papilio memnon ssp.

Papilio memnon is a butterfly from the Australasian and Indo-Malaysian regions. P. memnon shows very strong sexual dimorphism and there are numerous subspecies, forms and variations.

During my visit today, I photographed the upperside of a male swallowtail. Unfortunately I did not see the underside. It wasn’t until I got home and reviewed the pictures that I realized its identification was not as clear-cut as I thought it might have been, at least not in my opinion. My initial reaction was to identify it as a male Asian Swallowtail (Papilio lowii), though I had my doubts. It may well be that this identification is correct though further research into the Papilio memnon group would suggest that Papilio lowii is in fact a subspecies of Papilio memnon i.e. Papilio memnon lowii. It would also appear there are many regional subspecies, forms and variations of memnon with mimicry also in play, particularly with the females. In addition it is highly likely that all subspecies, forms and variations will interbreed, especially in captivity.

So what is it?

For the record I think it could possibly be a cross between the subspecies lowii, the males of which have tails and generally brighter markings and one of the tailless subspecies, probably the nominate agenor - though I am by no means sure. It might also be a male Scarlet Mormon (Papilio rumanzovia) or a P. rumanzovia cross as there is a black and red eye just visible on the hindwing. I doubt if there are many people who could categorically state otherwise.

Further discussion here …

viewtopic.php?t=4831&start=1000#p55833

It's not always as simple as it looks ...
UKBP1060373.jpg

Mark Colvin

Post by Mark Colvin »

Oxford University Museum, 30 January 2012 - Part 1

Behind the scenes …

I have visited the Oxford University Museum of Natural History (OUMNH) on numerous occasions and in particular have a long-term association with the Department of Entomology, as my good friend Darren Mann holds the position of Assistant Curator and my friend and work colleague Dr John Ismay, Honorary Associate Curator. I have also donated a number of specimens to the collection, including the social wasp Dolichovespula saxonica following my discovery of it breeding at two locations in Britain in 1991.
UKBP1060555.jpg
UKBP1060553.jpg
The Hope Entomological Collections are located within the OUMNH and house over 25,000 types and comprises in excess of 5 million specimens of insects, arachnids and myriapods. This, along with its extensive library and historic archives, form one of the most comprehensive and important entomological resources within the United Kingdom. The collections are second only in size and importance to the national insect collection housed at the Natural History Museum, London.
The entrance to another world and time ...
The entrance to another world and time ...
Darren J Mann (Assistant Curator) - The Gov!
Darren J Mann (Assistant Curator) - The Gov!
The collection began life with the bequest by the Reverend Frederick William Hope (1797-1862) of his entire collection in 1849. The Hope Professors John Westwood (1805-1893), Edward Poulton (1856-1943), Geoffrey Hale Carpenter (1882-1953) and George Varley (1910-1983) also amassed large amounts of material through both their own research and from donations by some of the most prominent entomologists of the day including Charles Swinhoe (1838-1923), James John Walker (1851-1939), Arthur Wallace Pickard-Cambridge (1873-1952), Albert Harry Hamm (1861-1951), Edward Saunders (1848-1910), Bertram Maurice Hobby (1905-1983), Karl Richard Hanitsch (1860-1940), James Charles Dale (1792-1872) and his son Charles William Dale, John Curtis (1791-1862), John Francillon (1744-1816), Pierre André Latreille (1762-1833), Christian Gottfried Nees von Esenbeck (1776-1858), Henri de Saussure (1829-1905), Alfred Russel Wallace (1823-1913) and Thomas Vernon Wollaston (1822-1878).

Of particular significance are:

➢ Hope-Westwood collections
➢ Extensive historic collections
➢ The Verrall-Collin collection of Diptera
➢ Comprehensive British collections
➢ The Wytham Woods collections
➢ The Pickard-Cambridge and Blackwall arachnid collections
Image capture of Lepidoptera types and historic collections
Image capture of Lepidoptera types and historic collections
The C. W. and J. C. Dale collection is probably one of the most impressive single collections of British insects, with over 50,000 specimens. This collection includes specimens used by Curtis, Haliday and Stephens in their published works. The Dale collection also contains the famous Bath White (Pontia daplidice), reputedly collected in Cambridge in May 1702, which is believed to be the oldest known pinned entomological specimen in the world.
The historic collections housed in the Huxley Room
The historic collections housed in the Huxley Room
Chequered Skipper including many English specimens
Chequered Skipper including many English specimens
The new storage system in the Carpenter Room
The new storage system in the Carpenter Room
Diptera housed in the new storage system in the Carpenter Room
Diptera housed in the new storage system in the Carpenter Room
Oxford University Museum of Natural History (OUMNH)
Oxford University Museum of Natural History (OUMNH)
The Hope Department of Entomology is an energetic and vibrant department of dedicated staff and associates, promoting entomology and the collections under their care. The collections, Library and associated archives are a significant world resource that is accessible for research by appointment. Housed in a Grade 1 listed building, which is renowned for its spectacular neo-Gothic architecture, I highly recommend a visit to this wonderful museum ...

Don't miss it ...

http://www.oum.ox.ac.uk/collect/entom.htm
Last edited by Mark Colvin on Sat Feb 04, 2012 2:52 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Padfield
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Padfield »

What a fool - I never visited during the whole of my time in Oxford. I will certainly make an appointment to spend an afternoon there next time I go back to the city of aspiring dreams. Thanks, Mark.

Guy

Guy's Butterflies: https://www.guypadfield.com
The Butterflies of Villars-Gryon : https://www.guypadfield.com/villarsgryonbook.html
MikeOxon

Post by MikeOxon »

Mark Colvin wrote:Don't miss it ...
Nice to see a plug for my local museum! I used to go to lectures there in my student days and then it was a rather gloomy, though exciting place. A lot has been done in recent years to make the displays much more attractive and informative, and I must agree that it is a 'must see' place!

Whilst there, do not miss the Pitt Rivers Museum of anthropology (reached through the NHM), which must rate as one of the most extraordinary collections in the world. It still retains its dimly-lit 19th century charm and, during a recent restoration, even the old labels were carefully renovated. For a foretaste, see http://www.prm.ox.ac.uk/

Mike

Vince Massimo

Post by Vince Massimo »

That was a highly entertaining and insightful account, Mark. I had absolutly no idea that such a resource existed outside of the Natural History Museum. I read it through a couple of times...........................just in case there's a test later :) .

Vince

Mark Colvin

Post by Mark Colvin »

Dear Guy, Mike and Vince,

Thanks.

I'm glad you found my post of interest. :D

Kind regards. Mark

David M

Post by David M »

A fascinating insight that, Mark.

Less is definitely more in your case. :)

What other secrets do you have for our delectation?

Mark Colvin

Post by Mark Colvin »

Hi David,

Thanks. I'm glad you found my post of interest.
David M wrote:What other secrets do you have for our delectation?
I wonder indeed ...

Kind regards. Mark

Susie

Post by Susie »

Likewise, fascinating and I didn't know it existed.

Matsukaze

Post by Matsukaze »

I had the chance to look behind the scenes there a few years ago when the British Dragonfly Society held its AGM there. Well worth seeing if you have the opportunity to do so. I remember seeing some of J.C. Dale's specimens including the type specimen of Oxygastra curtisii from Dorset where it is now sadly extinct.

Mark Colvin

Post by Mark Colvin »

RHS Wisley, 2 February 2012 – Part 7a

Continued …

My visit today was targeted at seeing the beautiful Golden Birdwing (Troides rhadamantus) as I knew of one that had emerged overnight. Despite searching high and low its resting place was not revealed. Then, just as I was about to leave for home it was discovered, perched high in the tropical foliage, above my head and out of reach. A fabulous sight and one I will remember for some considerable time …

Today was also about behaviour. During my previous visits, it has been a privilege to observe at close range the courtship and reproductive behaviour of many species. Today was no exception, as I observed at least five different species either joined in copulation or in the act of egg-laying. I was particularly pleased to see a teacher explaining to a small group of captivated young school children what the butterflies were up to, after I had pointed out a pair of mating Asian Swallowtails (Papilio memnon lowii) and an egg-laying Owl (Caligo memnon) to her. She continued to explain "how lucky they were" to be able to see such behaviour.

How lucky indeed ...

If only I could have experienced this at their age …
UKBP1060870.jpg
UKBP1060926.jpg
UKBP1060900.jpg
UKBP1060891.jpg

Colin Knight

Post by Colin Knight »

Mark, it was a privilege to share the experience with you today. Your story about the children demonstrates the value of butterfly houses. By sharing the butterfly story in such a close up and personal way with the next generation we improve our chance of conserving our native species.

Mark Colvin

Post by Mark Colvin »

RHS Wisley, 2 February 2012 – Part 7b

Continued …

Beauty dressed in black ...
Pink Rose Swallowtail (Pachliopta kotzebuea)
Pink Rose Swallowtail (Pachliopta kotzebuea)

Mark Colvin

Post by Mark Colvin »

RHS Wisley, 3 February 2012 – Part 8

Continued …

Revelation of colours …
A rare sight as an Owl (Caligo memnon) reveals its colours
A rare sight as an Owl (Caligo memnon) reveals its colours

Mark Colvin

Post by Mark Colvin »

Oxford University Museum, 30 January 2012 – Part 2

The Aurelian’s …

The first known British specimen of the Bath White (Pontia daplidice) was reputedly caught by William Vernon (fl.1660-c1735) at White Wood, near Gamlingay in Cambridgeshire in May 1702. The specimen purporting to be the first, a battered female (pictured below), resides in the Hope Department of Entomology at Oxford University Museum of Natural History (OUMNH) through the collections of James Petiver (1663-1718) and James C. Dale (1792-1872). Although 1702 is claimed to be the date of capture of the first specimen (Ford, 1945) and (Howarth, 1973), it would appear that this is in fact incorrect. It is more likely that the specimen in the OUMNH is a specimen subsequently collected. It is nevertheless still believed to be the oldest known pinned entomological specimen in the world.

The most likely date of capture of the first specimen must be before 1699 as Petiver, in the fourth of his Musei Petiveriani Centuria, completed on 31st August 1699 and published later the same year, lists Papilio leucomelanus, subtus viridescens marmoreus, (black and white butterfly with the underside marbled green) and states “the only one I have seen in England Mr Will Vernon caught in Cambridgeshire”. Consequently 1699 is the latest possible date for the capture and there is other evidence to suggest that it may have been in or before 1695.
Bath White (Pontia daplidice), Cambridgeshire (circa 1702)
Bath White (Pontia daplidice), Cambridgeshire (circa 1702)
In my opinion it is impossible to separate the history of British butterflies from that of their collectors, as our current knowledge of the butterflies is the result of four hundred years of collection and research by the collectors.

Our attitudes towards collecting butterflies have rightly changed and although this alone, in many circumstances, is unlikely to have caused the loss or decline of treasured species, in other circumstances it may well have been instrumental in the species demise.

Our knowledge of the entomological world continues to grow partly, at least, through responsible collecting, but this often requires specimens to be killed. This is far less likely with our beloved Lepidoptera though essential with many of the other insect groups where accurate identification often requires microscopic examination of a non-moving insect. Inevitably this usually means that the insect will be dead. There is also the requirement for a voucher specimen(s), which can be referred to in cases of future doubt or for further research. This last point requires that the collector make responsible and appropriate arrangements for the preservation of his research efforts after he has ceased to care for them.

Death, like it or not, is an integral element of many aspects of detailed entomological research. Providing it is justified and we learn from our studies in order to better conserve for the benefit of future generations, then I support it. However, if for monetary gain or to seek personal pleasure as a collector of large series of the same insect, in the same way as perhaps a philatelist may with small squares of pristine coloured paper set neatly in rows in an album, it cannot and must not be justified without challenge …

There will always be winners and losers. Man does play God and this is even reflected in our own conservation efforts where we manage sites to benefit certain species at the inevitable cost of others.

Food for thought …
UKB argiades.jpg
Images copyright OUMNH, photographed by Katherine Child.

Further discussion here ...

viewtopic.php?f=11&t=6041&p=56073#p56073

Return to “Personal Diaries”