Holly blue male

Discussion forum for sightings.
eccles

Holly blue male

Post by eccles »

I visited Bannerdown near Batheaston today and got caught in a downpour, having snapped just a single small skipper. Fortunately I took an umbrella. There were plenty of marbled whites, ringlets and meadow browns between the showers. I then trawled Hazelbury common, again seeing marbled white, ringlet, meadow brown, small skipper and six spot burnet. I had a brief glimpse of a dark green fritillary plus my first male gatekeeper of the year. A small copper completed the set.
Back to my local patch at Willsbridge I did a transect for the AWT finding red admiral (3), comma (4), green veined white (1), small white (1), speckled wood (1), holly blue (1), ringlet (1), meadow brown (2), beautiful demoiselle (3), southern hawker (1), common darter (1).
Then on my way home I spotted a holly blue flitting around a bare patch of earth. They often take nutrients this way when the ground is wet. I watched it for a minute or so then it flew up onto a leaf, opened its wings and basked! And here it is, a male, and I'm pleased as punch. Another nice local spot. :)

Bryan H

Post by Bryan H »

Green-veined White, Small Copper, Holly Blue...we might be moaning about the dreadful weather but the second broods just seem to be getting on with it!

We've got used to warm, dry summers in recent years but they weren't always like that!

Bryan
eccles

Post by eccles »

June 2007 was the wettest June on record for many areas, but I agree that provided there are a few sunny or even bright periods, butterflies manage to get on with their lifecycles. It will be revealing if any species take a hit next year as a result.
Simon C

Post by Simon C »

Very nice picture!

Do you know your dragonflies, because if so perhaps you can help me out. I mentioned a few days ago I saw a White-Letter Hairstreak in Bushey Norwood field, and there were also lots of dragonflies around. One of them I can't recognise from any picture in Collin's guide to British Insects. Any ideas? It was on the same brambles as the WLH.

This is what originally caught my eye. I've been back a couple of times since without a repeat sighting.

Simon
eccles

Post by eccles »

That's a female scarce chaser. They have had a hot spot on the Avon around Keynsham for a number of years, but judging by your sighting they are finding their way further upriver. Good news for this species although maybe not so good for the WLH which is potential prey. Many dragonflies, especially females, will spend time hunting well away from water, returning to mate and lay eggs.
Simon C

Post by Simon C »

Much obliged.

Simon
Matsukaze

Post by Matsukaze »

According to http://www.wiltshiredragonflies.org.uk/, they occur patchily up the Avon as far as Melksham, notably around Bradford-on-Avon.

The species has spread considerably in the last few years and if this continues might be due a change of name.

Return to “Sightings”