Wisley Butterflies 2012

Discussion forum for anything that doesn't fit elsewhere!
millerd

Wisley Butterflies 2012

Post by millerd »

The Wisley RHS Garden opened its exotic butterfly event today in a section of the Glasshouse (as it did last year). The queue was not too bad at all, and my small son and I were entertained by a robin singing its heart out perched up near the roof on a yucca. The butterflies were not particularly numerous, but were fresh. I have selected a few to brighten the winter days - the IDs are guesses, and one I really don't know except it's a swallowtail of some sort. Walking back through the gardens, which even in January are fascinating, we came upon another robin, twice the apparent size of the first, puffed out against the cold. Flowers out included camelias, daphne, snowdrops, iris, wild strawberry in the rockeries, and even the odd azalea.There were others too, but it was a bit chilly for standing still and examining things closely.

Overall, well worth a visit.

Dave
Attachments
robin2.JPG
Clipper
Clipper
Asian Swallowtail
Asian Swallowtail
Morpho (Blue? Achilles?)
Morpho (Blue? Achilles?)
Tailed Jay
Tailed Jay
Unknown
Unknown
robin3.JPG
Last edited by millerd on Sat Jan 14, 2012 11:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Nick Broomer

Re: Wisley Butterflies 2012

Post by Nick Broomer »

Lovely pictures Dave, especially the Morpho, what a stunner.

Nick
millerd

Post by millerd »

Thanks, Nick!

They are always noted for their blue uppersides, but the underside of a fresh one like this is just lovely. My son spotted it: he's nearer to the ground than I am, and his eyesight is 20 times better!

Dave
Susie

Post by Susie »

Lovely photos and a nice report. Hope to get up there myself some time.

Return to “General”