Lens

Discussion forum for butterfly photography. You can also get your photos reviewed here!
Debbie

Lens

Post by Debbie »

Last year I purchased my first digital camera a canon 500d. The first thing i photographed was a butterfly and now I have a love of butterflies to.

I now need a more approriate lens and my research as lead me to this one:

Canon EF 100mm f/2.8L Macro IS USM
Macro

The EF 100mm f/2.8L IS USM, part of Canon’s prestigious L series, and first featuring an Image Stabilizer with angle and shift detection that is highly effective at close focusing distances.

You are the people that know

What is the right lens for photographing butterflies?

Regards,
DMS
My first t-shell.
My first t-shell.
dilettante

Re: Lens

Post by dilettante »

This has come up a number of times, so have a look in the archives, but that lens you mention has a top reputation and is probably ideal. Some people prefer longer focal lengths like the Sigma 150 or the Tamron 180.
Rogerdodge

Post by Rogerdodge »

Hi
There is no "right" lens for butterfly photography.
If I was needing to get a new lens today I would be seriously torn.
It would be either the Canon 100mm IS (the one you mentioned) or the Sigma 150mm Macro OS.
With the Canon you have unrivalled build quality, and fabulous image quality. It is a beautifully balanced lens, feels wonderful in the hand, and takes great pictures.
The Sigma is also really good for image quality, although it may be a little less robust than the Canon, the extra reach of the 150mm is really enticing.
To be frank I am glad I don't have to make the decision, as my old Sigma 180mm Macro is still going strong.
Now - when Canon bring out their 180mm Macro with IS, I may be tempted.........

I guess that what I am really saying is that neither lens would be a mistake, and nor would the Tamron 180, just to throw another spanner in the works.

Have fun

(p.s. Nice Small Tort by the way)
Cheers

Roger
MikeOxon

Post by MikeOxon »

I'm sure that the Canon 100mm would be an excellent choice. If you need more reach, consider adding a 1.4x teleconverter. I have started using one with my 90mm Tamron macro (on a Nikon) and find that there is no noticeable loss in quality but a very useful increase in working distance.

Mike
JKT

Post by JKT »

I don't think that AF on the C 100 L works with most teleconverters. That's something worth checking if AF is important to you.
MikeOxon

Post by MikeOxon »

JKT wrote:I don't think that AF on the C 100 L works with most teleconverters
I use a Kenko Pro300 DGX teleconverter with my Tamron because the Nikon TC will not do AF with that lens. Kenko (same company as Tokina lenses) list the Canon 100L as being AF compatible (see: http://kenkoglobal.com/pdf/TELEPLUS_DGX ... tyList.pdf) but I have no personal experience of this combination. EDIT: see also JKT's comment later in this thread. I also use the converter with my Nikon 300mm f/4 for bird photography - just a reminder that these things can have many uses.

Mike
Last edited by MikeOxon on Sun Jan 08, 2012 5:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Debbie

Post by Debbie »

Thank You
JKT

Post by JKT »

MikeOxon wrote:Kenko (same company as Tokina lenses) list the Canon 100L as being AF compatible but I have no personal experience of this combination.
If anyone want's to rely on that, make sure to get the very latest version. The one I bought after I got the C 100 L IS NOT COMPATIBLE!

Return to “Photography”