Ringlet - Favourite Photo of 2011

Vince Massimo
Administrator & Stock Contributor
Administrator & Stock Contributor

Ringlet - Favourite Photo of 2011

Post by Vince Massimo »

This is a thread in which to post your favourite photo(s) of a particular species taken in 2011.................or the last time you saw one!

This is part of a series which will hopefully grow throughout the winter until all 58 British species have been covered. Three new threads will be introduced per week. Our overseas friends are welcome to fill in the obvious gaps relating to our rare migrants, but please try to observe the alphabetical listing :D

Details of places, dates, times and circumstances would be appreciated and please feel free to contribute observations of behaviour, personal encounters, anecdotes and other interesting points.

Vince
Goldie M

Re: Ringlet - Favourite Photo of 2011

Post by Goldie M »

I didn't take too many photo's of Ringlet's this year not because i didn't try they were just too quick for me :lol: I did manage this pair though in Blean Woods 30th June. One has a damaged wing but i love the the photo :D Conditions were very hot and humid, we had to wear hat's are get burnt, most unlike the weather I'd left behind Goldie M :)
Attachments
Ringletts BW 30th June 2011 069.JPG
MikeOxon

Post by MikeOxon »

This is the only half-decent Ringlet photo that I took this year. It's easy to get distracted by the more colourful species!
Fermyn Woods, Northants - 11th July 2011<br />Nikon D300s with 70-300VR - 1/500s @ f/5.6 ISO400
Fermyn Woods, Northants - 11th July 2011
Nikon D300s with 70-300VR - 1/500s @ f/5.6 ISO400
Mike
ChrisC

Post by ChrisC »

is it me or do they always look miserable :)
ring.jpg
Nick Broomer

Post by Nick Broomer »

ChrisC wrote:is it me or do they always look miserable :)
ring.jpg
Yes they do Chris, especially the males.

Nick.
millerd

Post by millerd »

I found the Ringlet on my patch for the first time in 2011 - in all likelihood, I'd managed to overlook it before. This is the first one I found, on the very sunny morning of 30th June. I don't think they care for bright sunshine much, and they kept making for the cover of nearby trees.

Dave
Attachments
RT1 resized.jpg
RT2 resized.JPG
Last edited by millerd on Tue Jan 03, 2012 7:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Nick Broomer

Post by Nick Broomer »

millerd wrote:I found the Ringlet on my patch for the first time in 2011 - in all likelihood, I'd managed to overlook it before. This is the first one I found, on the very sunny evening of 30th June. I don't think they care for bright sunshine much, and they kept making for the cover of nearby trees.

Dave
They tend to roost in trees, Dave. So if it was rather late, thats what they were doing.

Nick.
millerd

Post by millerd »

Thanks, Nick. I've just checked and found these photos were taken at around ten in the morning, which doesn't say a lot for my memory! However, I do (I'm sure!) remember an evening around the same time when the Ringlets and Meadow Browns were heading into the trees as the sun went down.

Dave
Wurzel
Stock Contributor
Stock Contributor

Post by Wurzel »

This was my favourite shot of Ringlet and was taken at Garston Wood in the newly cleared area which used to be conifer plantation. There are large Bramble bushes scattered across the denuded floor, each one acting like a little oasis. My favourite has a bench and seat slap bang in the middle of one of the larger Bramble islands, and this was where this shot was taken. I poured myself a coffee, sat back and waited and soon I was surrounded by Meadow Browns and Ringlet,the odd Gatekeeper, Small Copper and White adding to the feeding frenzy. This particular individual was quite coy to begin with, walking over leaves to try and escape my lens but eventually it must have decided that it was ready and so posed itself, nicely showing off the Galaxy chocolate colouring.
R.JPG
Have a goodun

Wurzel
David M

Post by David M »

Though fresh Ringlets have attractive, chocolate brown uppersides, it is their undersides that stand out, though usually better in dimmer light which, thankfully, Ringlets seem to be partial to.

This one's my first of 2011 from Bettisfield Moss near Whitchurch where I later saw Large Heath davus.

johnv

Post by johnv »

This one is from the Meon Valley, Hampshire - 03 July 2011
Not my best but all filed under location rather than species - and not much time today.
Also, is there a good program to reduce photos to 512kb? They all seem to work on other criteria.
johnv
Attachments
P1050929(4).jpg
MikeOxon

Post by MikeOxon »

johnv wrote:is there a good program to reduce photos to 512kb?
The RIOT plug in for Irfanview (free download from http://www.irfanview.com/ ) offers an option to resample to a specified file size. Use 'Save for web' from the Irfanview file menu.

Alternatively, use 'Save for web' in Photoshop and just move the Quality slider until it indicates the filesize you want.

Mike
Neil Freeman

Post by Neil Freeman »

Ah yes.... Ringlets.
I rememember back in the summer, for a number of weeks, everywhere that I went there were hundreds of them, usually flopping around amongst the grass stems and defying all my attempts to get a decent photo.

The photo below was taken at Oversley Wood back in early August and is probaly the best that I managed. I never did get a topside shot that I was happy with.
Ringlet - Oversley Wood
Ringlet - Oversley Wood
Cheers,

Neil F.
Neil Freeman

Post by Neil Freeman »

johnv wrote:Also, is there a good program to reduce photos to 512kb? They all seem to work on other criteria.
johnv
Hi John,

I have been using photoscape http://www.photoscape.org/ps/main/index.php

This a a free program that I have been using, not wanting to spend ages messing about with photos, I use it for cropping, resizing and some simple contrast adjustments, all easily achieved in the editor.

Cheers,

Neil F.
Nick Broomer

Post by Nick Broomer »

This picture was taken at Oaken Wood on the 10th July. I was joined by Mark Colvin and his son James for a
few hours photographing butterflies. If i remember correctly it was quite hard work as these lovely insects
seemed to be in hiding, the weather not being that great. But i believe we all came up trumps in the end, and
a good day was had by all.
10. 7. 2011 073-1_1.jpg
Technically its not the best photo i have of mating Ringlets, i took a lot better picture than this one an hour earlier,
but,i like the assorted colours of the Oak leaves in this particular shot.

Nick.

Return to “Ringlet”