two-tailed pasha Southern France

Discussion forum for any overseas items (given that this is a "UK" butterflies forum!).
Steve Babbs

two-tailed pasha Southern France

Post by Steve Babbs »

Hi

Can anyone recommend a good place for seeing two-tailed pasha in southern France? At the moment, the plan is to visit the Camargue but if this isn't a good area and other areas are better then I could be flexible.

Cheers

Steve
NickMorgan

Re: two-tailed pasha Southern France

Post by NickMorgan »

I used to live in the Camargue years ago and I don't recall ever seeing a two-tailed pasha there. I wasn't a true butterfly enthusiast then, but I do remember seeing various other species. I always associate them with orchards and more upland areas. There are plenty of mosquitoes in the Camargue, though!!
Roger Gibbons

Post by Roger Gibbons »

Th Camargue is generally not a great area for butterflies. The départements of Gard and Hérault and Var are very good. It is double brooded, in late May/June and again August/September. The larval hostplant is Strawberry Tree (Arbutus unedo), although there is plenty of it in the far south.

Pashas are very partial to alcohol and are often seen at rotting fruit. Figs are a strong favourite. I have used rotting banana laced with rum on many occasions; they will initially circle around looking for predators, so you need to be careful not to frighten them off while they are doing this. When they are settled, you can approach very closely.
Steve Babbs

Post by Steve Babbs »

The Crossbill guide to the Camargue describes two-tailed pasha as 'common' in the Apilles, but it also says that: 'during the summer months the area is completely off limits because of the risk of fire.' Has anyone seen them there and indeed is it really completely off limits? I haven't managed to get this information confirmed anywhere else.
Steve Babbs

Post by Steve Babbs »

Whoops, I have managed to confirm it now. Apparently access to the woods is forbidden in July and August.
kevling

Post by kevling »

Steve,

Was in Cote D'Azur area this August and saw a good number of Two Tailed Pasha's. Best location I found was Lac De St Cassien (approx 15 miles west of Cannes). Along the eastern shore of the lake they were in abundance and regularly settled for close inspection (see my photo in overseas category of 2011 competition).
Other locations where I noted them were along the Corniche De Esterel, the coast road which runs east from Cannes to Frejus.

Regards Kev Ling
Steve Babbs

Post by Steve Babbs »

Sorry Kev I've only just noticed your post. Sounds good, when in August where you there? Am I right in saying they only come out from mid-August?

Regards
Charles Nicol

Post by Charles Nicol »

i saw plenty in August near Montpellier at a place called St Guilhem le Desert; it is well worth a visit for all sorts of butterflies

Charles

8) 8)
Steve Babbs

Post by Steve Babbs »

Charles

Thanks. That's much more on my planned route. What date were you there? Any more details- e.g. other species seen, places to stay, was it a particular spot for the pashas or were they widespread? - etc. would be much appreciated.

Regards
Charles Nicol

Post by Charles Nicol »

Steve Babbs wrote:Charles

Thanks. That's much more on my planned route. What date were you there? Any more details- e.g. other species seen, places to stay, was it a particular spot for the pashas or were they widespread? - etc. would be much appreciated.

Regards
Sorry for the delay in answering Steve

I was in the area for about 4 weeks from the 22nd July. i stayed for 1 week at the charming Hostellerie St Benoit in Aniane ( about 40 euros a day inc breakfast )
and then at the municipal campsite at Gignac ( about 12 euros a day )
I walked to the Pont du Diable ( about 5 miles from Aniane ) which is at the bottom of the gorge leading to St G le D... there is a free bus in the summer which takes you up to the village.
There is a private hostel in St Guilhem : http://www.st-guilhem-le-desert.com/pub ... tour1.html
You need to book in advance... i did not manage to stay but it looks lovely ( about 20 euros a night with breakfast )

The butterfly area is beyond the village where the gorge leads into an amazing cirque called the Infernet.
There is a little brook with luxuriant plants which attract all sorts of butterflies:

this video gives a good idea of the area, although it seems to be taken earlier in the year:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YReuZhNOS9Q

if you pause at 0:36 you will see an overhanging rock with fig trees...a very good location for Pashas !!

here are some of the pics i took in the gorge:

http://www.flickr.com/groups/1719420@N24 (yes i know there are a lot of one particular butterfly :lol: )

the Pashas tended to be near the fig trees along the path... they liked the fruit but preferred dog turds :shock:

There are several long distance footpaths leaving the village if that is your thing.

i can recommend St Guilhem as a wonderful place to spend up to a week.

Charles

8) 8)
Steve Babbs

Post by Steve Babbs »

Thanks a lot Charles very useful gen, and nice photos. It'll definitely become part of my itinerary. We'll probably stay at the campsite. Can you book municipal ones in advance or do you just turn up? Were the two-tailed pashas out throughout yours stay?

Regards
Charles Nicol

Post by Charles Nicol »

Steve Babbs wrote:Thanks a lot Charles very useful gen, and nice photos. It'll definitely become part of my itinerary. We'll probably stay at the campsite. Can you book municipal ones in advance or do you just turn up? Were the two-tailed pashas out throughout yours stay?

Regards
Glad you liked the info Steve. the campsite at Gignac has a website & you can definitely book in advance... not sure if they speak English :? but they are really genuine people & give you a great welcome. Please feel free to mention me !!

http://www.campinglameuse.fr/

in case you were wondering, a tithome is a small chalet type building...

PS there is a separate establishment nearby for nudists :shock:

i noticed more & more Pashas as August went on , but they might have been around in July without me noticing...

please don't hesitate to ask if there is anything else...

Charles

8) 8)
Steve Babbs

Post by Steve Babbs »

Charles

Thanks for your help, it's very much appreciated.

Regards

Return to “Overseas”