Joining a Camera Club

Discussion forum for butterfly photography. You can also get your photos reviewed here!
NickB

Re: Joining a Camera Club

Post by NickB »

Nice boats, Jack :wink:
As I said - you can do anything in Photoshop....
Wood-cut style Green Hairstreak
Wood-cut style Green Hairstreak
But is it art..... or photography? And does it matter?
N
"Conservation starts in small places, close to home..."
Hugh Middleton

Post by Hugh Middleton »

Nick and others,

I am seriously thinking of joining my local club. I know they all differ but would be interested in your opinions of the value of joining. I am fairly new to DSLR's but have used film for 50+ years.

Thanks,

Hugh
Gruditch
Moderator & Stock Contributor

Post by Gruditch »

Hi Hugh.

It depends what you are joining a camera club for. A beginner looking to learn how to get to grips with a DSLR, would find my club completely useless. The emphases there is competition, there is very little interest in how you get the picture, or the equipment you use.

There are clubs out there, not necessarily affiliated to The Photographic Alliance of Great Britain, that are interested more with the camera equipment, rather than the actual picture. So you really need to search the web for clubs, go and sit in on session or two, then decide what best suits you.

Regards Gruditch
Jack Harrison

Post by Jack Harrison »

My own club is very good. Always complimentary about my photos, never critical because I don't use a DSLR, quite happy with my use of PhotoShop. It's a good club.

Maybe I should add that I am the only member but that isn't really relevant to the present discussion :roll:

Jack
NickB

Post by NickB »

...Can we join your Club, Jack?
I'm hoping you say no!
Wouldn't want to be a member of a club that would have ME for a member :mrgreen: (With apologies to Groucho Marx!)
N
NickB

Post by NickB »

Hugh Middleton wrote:Nick and others,
I am seriously thinking of joining my local club. I know they all differ but would be interested in your opinions of the value of joining. I am fairly new to DSLR's but have used film for 50+ years.
Thanks,
Hugh
Hi Hugh
My Camera Club (http://www.cambcc.org.uk/) has different interest groups, such as Freshers, for new members, as well as Nature and Travel, Aperture and Portrait Groups. If you have a technical grasp of the basics but need more Photoshop skills, there are courses available too. As Gary said, there is a lot of emphasis on competition and internal competitions; but there are opportunities to bring images in for comment as well, plus a place on the Web-site to post pictures for comments, etc
I think what Gary said is right; I joined a few years ago - but decided after 1 year I had a lot to learn; I have returned 4 years later.....so go and see if you can attend as a guest or visitor. Cambridge had a waiting list; it is a popular and well-supported Club.
Nick
Jack Harrison

Post by Jack Harrison »

Nick asked:
Well you can put your name on the waiting list. However, there is unlikely to be a vacancy for 11.77 years*

*11.77 years is the actuarial expectation of life for a man just turned 73.

So just think of that you lot on ukb. Only 11 years and 284 days (I have allowed for leap years) remaining to appreciate my erudition, wit, talent and other notable attributes.

Jack
David M

Post by David M »

Jack Harrison wrote:My own club is very good. Always complimentary about my photos, never critical because I don't use a DSLR, quite happy with my use of PhotoShop. It's a good club.

Maybe I should add that I am the only member but that isn't really relevant to the present discussion :roll:

Jack
Classic! :D
Hugh Middleton

Post by Hugh Middleton »

Thanks. Have been a member of a club like Jacks and will probably remain in it unless I fall out with myself :D

My local club will allow a few 'look see ' visits. I consider myself fairly competent and well beyond the beginner stage. However, as with most things worth doing, there is still much to learn. This I guess was the point of my posting. An emphasis on competition is likely to focus my mind. At the moment I am fairly pleased ( or in my one man club - extremely pleased :) ) with my pictures. To put these 'efforts' before others for criticism is daunting but I guess it is the next step forward.

This seems to be my impression from the kind responses - so many thanks,

Hugh
NickB

Post by NickB »

Jack Harrison wrote:Nick asked:
Well you can put your name on the waiting list. However, there is unlikely to be a vacancy for 11.77 years*
*11.77 years is the actuarial expectation of life for a man just turned 73.
So just think of that you lot on ukb. Only 11 years and 284 days (I have allowed for leap years) remaining to appreciate my erudition, wit, talent and other notable attributes.
Jack
Thanks, Jack! I knew I could rely on you! :mrgreen:
..the world will have to wait.... :lol:
N
Gruditch

Post by Gruditch »

Hugh Middleton wrote:An emphasis on competition is likely to focus my mind. At the moment I am fairly pleased ( or in my one man club - extremely pleased ) with my pictures. To put these 'efforts' before others for criticism is daunting but I guess it is the next step forward.
Having your work publicly scrutinised, does get you out of your comfort zone. It will either make you realise your better than you thought, or bring you down to earth with a bump. Either way you will learn a hell of a lot, even if you only join for a couple of years.

Regards Gruditch
NickB

Post by NickB »

Gruditch wrote:.... It will either make you realise your better than you thought, or bring you down to earth with a bump.
Regards Gruditch
...probably a bit of both :lol:
N
Jack Harrison

Post by Jack Harrison »

The main reason I haven't joined a camera club is that I wouldn't to embarrass existing members with my undoubted prowess.

Jack
NickB

Post by NickB »

...I think that "Club of One" suits you fine, Jack.... :mrgreen:

You'd be wasted anywhere else, that is true; they surely broke the mould...?
N
Jack Harrison

Post by Jack Harrison »

Maybe I should have a new avatar.
Jack

Return to “Photography”