Which butterflies are you most looking forward to seeing?

Discussion forum for anything that doesn't fit elsewhere!
Susie

Which butterflies are you most looking forward to seeing?

Post by Susie »

This is rather a spin off from the 'must do' thread but slightly different.

I am really looking forward to seeing my first orange tip next year, that for me is when the season really kicks off and the lanes when they are frothy with ladies smock are a real joy to behold.

I'm also looking forward to watching silver washed fritillaries wheeling along the woodland rides.

What about you? :-)
marmari

Re: Which butterflies are you most looking forward to seeing

Post by marmari »

I would agree with all that and I am particularly hoping to see a Large Tortoiseshell in March as I did not see one here last year despite a lot of attempts.
David M

Post by David M »

Brimstones always give me a lift at any time of year, though particularly in spring.

The High Brown flight period at Ewenny is always an exciting time whilst I personally have a date with Purple Emperor in early July.
Matsukaze

Post by Matsukaze »

Not sure I would want to go on a date with the Emperor, given his feeding habits!
Gibster

Post by Gibster »

My first spankingly fresh male Orange-tip of the season is always a joy. And the first skipper too, of any species!

But it is the Mountain Ringlet I still need to spend some time with...grrrrrrr

Gibster.

PS - Marmari, let me know if you fancy an extra pair of eyes to help you in your LargeTortoiseshell search. PM me nearer the time? Seriously!
Raising £10,000 for Butterfly Conservation by WALKING 1200 miles from Land's End to John O'Groats!!!
See http://www.justgiving.com/epicbutterflywalk or look up Epic Butterfly Walk on Facebook.
David M

Post by David M »

Gibster wrote:But it is the Mountain Ringlet I still need to spend some time with...grrrrrrr
Irton Fell, Gibster.

They're unmissable.
dave brown

Post by dave brown »

I am with Gibster on this one. Although I have seen them before in Scotland I would like to see Mountain Ringlet again. Its not just the butterfly but the great setting they occur in. I think a trip to Irton Fell may well be on the cards next year.
I also agree with Susie that the first Orange Tips are a joy to see and a positive sign of things to come. They are probably the one we all look forward to seeing as it heralds busy and exciting times ahead.
MikeOxon

Post by MikeOxon »

It sounds as though Irton Fell is going to be a crowded place in 2012! I have seen MR several times but never managed a decent photo yet, so it's high on my list.

Mike
David M

Post by David M »

MikeOxon wrote:It sounds as though Irton Fell is going to be a crowded place in 2012! I have seen MR several times but never managed a decent photo yet, so it's high on my list.
The problem is that a) they never settle for long, and b) when they do they're almost always part obscured by grass blades. :(
Susie

Post by Susie »

Would evostick on a suitably placed branch help?
Goldie M

Post by Goldie M »

I look forward to seeing my 1st Butterfly whatever it is Susie, it's a signal wer'e into Spring. This year though we're going to Devon and Dorset I'm hoping to see Silver Studded Blues to add to my collection of photo's of Blues. Also the Large Blue if possible I assume the LB is found in that area. We've not been to D/D for years and in those days I must admit I was not in touch with my Butterfly craze then :D I would also like to see a Marsh Frillary, I've not seen one of those either, so next year can't come quick enough, :D Goldie M :)
Rosalyn

Post by Rosalyn »

Green Hairstreaks for me. It was the first more localised butterfly we found and I always look forward to seeing them, Good for distracting Swallowtail photographers in 'the garden' too, I wasn't getting a look in until I mentioned it :)
Wurzel
Stock Contributor
Stock Contributor

Post by Wurzel »

At this time of the year any will do! :wink:

I think I am most looking forward to seeing Grizzled Skipper as I think they are just cracking little butterflies.

Have a goodun

Wurzel
essexbuzzard

Post by essexbuzzard »

Its Orange Tips and the first Adonis Blues at Mill Hill for me.Then spring has really arrived,and we can think of great days to come.
Anyone trying for Mountain Ringlet,i too would recomend Irton Fell. It's fairly easy walking,and i saw them in abundance there this year. But ignore the flight times in the books-this is a low(ish) level site near the warm coast. So the first or second week in June is probably best. The weather is often better in early summer,too,before going down hill later.
As many an August visitor can testify!
Regards, Mark.
ScottD

Post by ScottD »

i like Orange Tips, Green Hairstreaks are a personal favourite, I'm fond of Chequered Skippers & Marsh Frits but I think that the 1 that I'm looking forward to most next year is the Small Blue - hopefully next year our BC branch will be attempting to re-introduce them back to South West Scotland after a 30 year absence ...

but any butterfly is a good butterfly :wink:
MikeOxon

Post by MikeOxon »

Susie wrote:Would evostick on a suitably placed branch help?
Even I can't face the amount of Photoshop work that would be needed to make the result look "natural"

Mike
Jack Harrison

Post by Jack Harrison »

Brimstone — signalling that winter hasn't got much longer to go — in six or seven weeks time.

Jack
Jack Harrison

Post by Jack Harrison »

Not a butterfly but the season to look forward to. Today, 22nd was the shortest day so it's uphill from now on. Here is the sunset across Wash.
Taken from Heacham. To left of post Sutton Bridge, Lincs, power station can just be made out.
Jack
Philzoid

Post by Philzoid »

Jack Harrison wrote:Brimstone — signalling that winter hasn't got much longer to go — in six or seven weeks time.
I agree Jack. Brimstones always raise the spirits for the coming season.

Lying amongst the knapweed flowers of Martin Down, listening to the skylarks, yellowhammers and linnets and watching the Dark Green Fritillaries dancing from flower to flower was an unbeatable experience for me this year and something I'd love to repeat.

For a first time sighting, the Swallowtail is top of my list for 2012.

Phil
millerd

Post by millerd »

Goldie M wrote:This year though we're going to Devon and Dorset I'm hoping to see Silver Studded Blues to add to my collection of photo's of Blues. Also the Large Blue if possible I assume the LB is found in that area. Goldie M :)
Goldie - you'll need to stop off in Somerset (Collard Hill) on the way down in order to see Large Blues, and it'll have to be between mid-June and mid-July. This is the right time of year for the Silver-studded Blues too, though at different sites - in Devon and Dorset, rather than Somerset. Well worth doing!

Dave

Return to “General”