Peacock - Favourite Photo of 2011

The Annoying Czech

Peacock - Favourite Photo of 2011

Post by The Annoying Czech »

As a child, I often didn't even bother to catch the Peacocks. Now, I was snapping only the newly emerged individuals.

What a piggishness :) But I don't know, how much common are Peacocks in the UK and the rest of Europe, but they're pretty damn abundant here.

A very aesthetic, but underrated species, am I right?

But oops! :) I haven't seen too many emerged individuals this year (after the rainy end of June & most of July), so I predict low abundances after overwintering. Definitely one of my worst Peacock years "ever". This one is from July 16.

Something almost unbelievable happened to me somewhere in August. I went butterflying and I saw entirely no Peacocks during the whole day..

Rosalyn

Re: Peacock - Favourite Photo of 2011

Post by Rosalyn »

If they were not so common I think you would travel far and wide to see this one :)
Attachments
Peacock 110724 117-1.jpg
dilettante

Post by dilettante »

Can I request that we leave forum member celery to create the 'favourite photo of 2011' topics? He's doing them in a phased way, a few per week, in alpahabetical order of species
David M

Post by David M »

Rosalyn wrote:If they were not so common I think you would travel far and wide to see this one :)
Agreed. The Peacock is a stunningly beautiful insect, and that shouldn't be diminished simply because of its relative ubiquity.
Vince Massimo
Administrator & Stock Contributor
Administrator & Stock Contributor

Post by Vince Massimo »

This thread is now officially open :) . This is where you can post your favourite photo of a particular species taken in 2011.................or the last time you saw one!

This is part of a series which will hopefully grow throughout the winter until all 58 British species have been covered. Three new threads will be introduced per week. Our overseas friends are welcome to fill in the obvious gaps relating to our rare migrants, but please try to observe the alphabetical listing :)

Details of places, dates, times and circumstances would be appreciated and please feel free to contribute observations of behaviour, personal encounters, anecdotes and other interesting points.

Vince
Wurzel
Stock Contributor
Stock Contributor

Post by Wurzel »

I took this at Thistle Down Farm in the Cotswolds. It is my favourite for several reasons. First up - this was my my first decent shot of the closed underwings. Second - all my other shots are of the open wings with the stunning eyes and vivid colours but this I feel is equally stunning. The light would catch the wings and they'd shine like polished coal and it looked to all intents and purposes like a burnt leaf, even with grey ashy parts that appear to be only slightly charred. The final reason is that it reminds me of my most chilled and relaxed family holiday so far 8)
066.JPG
Have a goodun

Wurzel
Padfield
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Padfield »

Here's my favourite from last year - gossiping peacock cats:

"I was like, Oh my God, and she was like, no way..."

Guy
Guy's Butterflies: https://www.guypadfield.com
The Butterflies of Villars-Gryon : https://www.guypadfield.com/villarsgryonbook.html
David M

Post by David M »

Several Vicky Pollards, eh Guy?
MikeOxon

Post by MikeOxon »

Thank goodness the Peacock is still fairly ubiquitous - it seems difficult to take a bad photograph of one, as it is so gorgeous!
I always think it is a good start of the season when I find one sunning itself, in this case on a log pile, early in the Spring.
Dry Sandford Pit, Cothill, Oxon - 6th April 2011<br />Nikon D300s with 70-300VR - 1/1000s @ f/5.6 ISO400
Dry Sandford Pit, Cothill, Oxon - 6th April 2011
Nikon D300s with 70-300VR - 1/1000s @ f/5.6 ISO400
Mike
GOLDENORFE

Post by GOLDENORFE »

i agree there have not been as many this year, probably only spotted less than 30 all year!

but got this shot from oversley wood

phil
marmari

Post by marmari »

This species must give one of the most colourful displays on this thread.My pic was taken on the 23rd March at Woodhouse Copse while looking out for the elusive Large T.
Goldie M

Post by Goldie M »

I saw this this Peacock in August in my back garden, i'd not seen too many all year then , suddenly I seemed to get an influx for a couple of days then nothing again . So this has to be my favourite Goldie M :D
Attachments
Peacock Bg 20th Aug 2011 51.JPG
Neil Freeman

Post by Neil Freeman »

The photo below is the very first one that I took on my first trip out back in early April to one of my local spots.

I remember it vividly and thought at the time that the butterfly looked remarkably fresh considering it had emerged the previous summer and spent the winter tucked away somewhere sheltering from the elements. There were half a dozen or so other Peacocks around the same area but none looked so fresh as this one.
Peacock - Elmdon Park
Peacock - Elmdon Park
During the summer I saw a number of Peacocks at various locations but not in the same numbers that I saw in the spring.

I spotted the chap below by the main path around Oversley Wood in July.
Peacock - fully grown larva
Peacock - fully grown larva
Cheers,

Neil F.
Reverdin

Post by Reverdin »

I only have this from 2011... but it is the first time I feel I have done justice to the underside ...
IMG_1397.jpg

Return to “Peacock”