UK Butterflies 10 Year Anniversary

Comments on the website and discussion forums, including enhancement requests and bug reports.
Pete Eeles
Administrator & Stock Contributor

UK Butterflies 10 Year Anniversary

Post by Pete Eeles »

All is explained here:

http://www.ukbutterflies.co.uk/10_year_update.php

Please post any feedback / comments in this thread.

Cheers,

- Pete
Life Cycles of British & Irish Butterflies: http://www.butterflylifecycles.com
British & Irish Butterflies Rarities: http://www.butterflyrarities.com
Matsukaze

Re: UK Butterflies 10 Year Anniversary

Post by Matsukaze »

I see the website has had a makeover as well. It looks good!
Pete Eeles

Post by Pete Eeles »

Thanks! As I get older, the fonts get bigger :)

Cheers,

- Pete
David M

Post by David M »

It's quite subtle at first - when I opened the website I thought it looked a bit sharper without realising it has had a revamp.
Wurzel
Stock Contributor
Stock Contributor

Post by Wurzel »

Happy Anniversary - looking very "clean" and snazzy! 8)

Have a goodun

Wurzel
Mark Colvin

Post by Mark Colvin »

Pete Eeles wrote:As I get older, the fonts get bigger.
Now that rings a bell ..

Keep up the good work.

Kind regards. Mark
Trev Sawyer
Stock Contributor
Stock Contributor

Post by Trev Sawyer »

From tiny acorns... :o)
Congratulations to UKButterflies on becoming the wonderful source of information it has become over the past 10 years. My good fortune in stumbling across it a few years ago was almost single-handedly responsible for reigniting a childhood interest in butterflies and I'm certain many others have been encouraged into a deeper understanding of our little winged friends via this site. Pete - Your idea was inspired and I must personally thank you and all the other people who have helped to hone the website into one which has given me hours of entertainment and the ability to find every conceivable bit of information about every British species.

PS: A glass of red wine is staring at me as I type, so I'll stop for a moment and raise the glass... Cheers Pete - 10 years (almost) gone and hopefully many more to come. :D

Trev
Michaeljf

Post by Michaeljf »

Congratulations to Pete, to the site and to anyone who has contributed to it. :D

I can only add hearty congratulations and thanks. This site is to my mind, the biggest help in finding out where to see Butterflies in Britain. Since I found it a couple of years back it has helped me hundreds of times, and the bulk of the posters are very knowledgeable and are very giving with their advice and help.

Michael
Pete Eeles

Post by Pete Eeles »

Thanks for the kind comments all!

Cheers,

- Pete
David M

Post by David M »

Michaeljf wrote:Congratulations to Pete, to the site and to anyone who has contributed to it. :D

I can only add hearty congratulations and thanks. This site is to my mind, the biggest help in finding out where to see Butterflies in Britain. Since I found it a couple of years back it has helped me hundreds of times, and the bulk of the posters are very knowledgeable and are very giving with their advice and help.

Michael
I heartily second these sentiments. My interest in butterflies was reawakened after I moved to Wales in 2008 from NW England. Suddenly, I started to see butterflies I was wholly unfamiliar with (not necessarily rare ones, just those that are south-centric - Small Skipper, Marbled White, Dingy Skipper, Brimstone, etc). This ignited a spark that set light to something that had lain dormant for nigh on a quarter of a century.

Here I am two and a half years later and I wouldn't be without this website for the world. As Michael says, it has given me pointers as to the sites to locate the truly scarce butterflies and it is equally comforting to know that I am not alone, and that there are many others in these fair isles that are passionate about tiny and seemingly irrelevant creatures such as butterflies.

Membership of this site has spurred me on to join Butterfly Conservation and commit financial resources towards the preservation of habitats that could otherwise be lost through ignorance and disinterest. I have also developed an interest in photography (albeit at a wholly personal and very amateur level). It has also given me the excuse I needed to spend more time in France (a country where I used to live and whose language I spoke fluently, only to subsequently lose touch with it to my own personal detriment).

A site such as this can only thrive if it has sufficient numbers of decent people prepared to sustain it. I am pleased to acknowledge that not only is this very much the case on UKB, but there are some individuals who are truly inspiring and whose mere presence adds an overwhelmingly positive dimension to the experience.

So thanks UKB (and by definition that has to mean Pete, Gary and everyone else that has invested so much time in making it prosper).
Goldie M

Post by Goldie M »

"Happy Anniversary UK Butterflies" and thanks for all your help. I feel i'm improving all the time with my photo's since joining. Being able to see and read other peoples photo's and comments is a big help.I Like the idea of the three comps very much, it gives wider scope i think for photo' s. My only regret is we live too far away for the get to gethers. Thanks again UK Butterfliles and good luck for the future to all those who work so hard for it Goldie M :)
MikeOxon

Post by MikeOxon »

As a relatively recent member of these forums, I was interested to read the background to this site at http://www.ukbutterflies.co.uk/10_year_update.php. "from small acorns...."

Unlike many organisations, this site lives up to its Mission Statement and really has engendered a sense of 'community'. I was sorry to be unable to get to the Hampshire get-together but enjoyed meeting some members at the AES Entomology Fair. The members are a never-ending source of inspiration and information, and even find topics of interest to take us through the Winter months (eg the Christmas quiz questions) Perhaps more of the membership would respond to some sort of quiz competitions rather than the photographic competitions, which only appeal to a fairly small group.

Mike

Return to “Website Comments”