Green-veined White - Favourite Photo of 2011

Vince Massimo
Administrator & Stock Contributor

Green-veined White - Favourite Photo of 2011

Post by Vince Massimo »

I am now overseeing the "Favourite Photo of 2011" topic, at least for the time being. Apologies for the slight loss of continuity this week.

This is a thread in which to post your favourite photo(s) of a particular species taken in 2011......................or the last time you saw one!

This is part of a series, which will hopefully grow throughout the winter until all 58 British species have been covered. Three new threads will be introduced per week. Our overseas friends are welcome to fill in the obvious gaps relating to our rare migrants, but please try to observe the alphabetical listing :)

Details of places, dates, times and circumstances would be appreciated and please feel free to contribute observations of behaviour, personal encounters, anecdotes and other interesting points.

Cheers,
Vince
dilettante

Re: Green-veined White - Favourite Photo of 2011

Post by dilettante »

From my first butterfly outing of the year. I went looking for Green Hairstreaks on the Devil's Dyke at Newmarket, unsuccessfully on this occasion, but came away with this shot:

Devil's Dyke, Cambs, 17-Apr-2011. Sony A700, Tamron 180/3.5 1/800s f/7.1 iso200
Wurzel
Stock Contributor
Stock Contributor

Post by Wurzel »

This was one of (if not the) my first butterfly photos of the year. I had to choose it as it was also the first thing that "grew" in my greenhouse this year! Last year I found a Small White, this year Green Veined - I'm hoping next year I miss out Large White and go straight to Bath White :lol:
DSC_0576.JPG
Have a goodun

Wurzel
millerd

Post by millerd »

I like this one from my local patch, pretending to be an Orange Tip and nectaring on ladies' smock. It demonstrates how pale the first brood individuals can be. (April 22nd)

Dave
Attachments
GVW resized.jpg
Goldie M

Post by Goldie M »

I like this photo I took in May. It seems tipical of the Green Veined White . The weather was very windy, but instead of opening it's wings and spreading them around the flower has I 'd seen the Red Admiral and Comma do, it just clung to the flower to stay on, no wing spread here. I remember thinking at the time it must have glue on it's feet.Goldie M :D
Attachments
Green Veined White HLB May 8th 2011 029.JPG
MikeOxon

Post by MikeOxon »

I was rather pleased to get this head-on stare!
Radley GP, Oxon - 11th May 2011<br />Nikon D300s with 70-300VR - 1/750s@ f/9.5 ISO400
Radley GP, Oxon - 11th May 2011
Nikon D300s with 70-300VR - 1/750s@ f/9.5 ISO400
Vince Massimo

Post by Vince Massimo »

When I started chasing butterflies five or six years ago, I found Green-veined Whites to be quite approachable and easy to photograph. Then, for some reason I could hardly get near one until this year. Here is a pair from one of my local sites.
Green-veined White pair - Woldingham, Surrey 30-June-11
Green-veined White pair - Woldingham, Surrey 30-June-11
The male is on the left.

Vince
Reverdin

Post by Reverdin »

This spring, most of the GVWs at home preferred the apple blossom to everything else....
1st brood GVW  N. Yorks
1st brood GVW N. Yorks
7D + 100mm macro s1/80 f8.0 iso 100 :D
Neil Freeman

Post by Neil Freeman »

I have to admit that the Green Veined White is a favourite of mine so I cannot limit myself to one photo. There is just something about its delicate beauty that appeals to me more than some of the harder to find species.

First off a couple of shots from my garden taken back in the spring when I was playing around with the settings on my lumix. I was just getting the hang of things then and these were amongst my first photos but I was pleased with the results.
01.05.11 003 resize.jpg
29.04.11 055 resize.jpg
And one from Grafton Wood taken in late August,
Grafton Wood 30.08.2011 016 resize.jpg
Cheers,

Neil F.
daveh

Post by daveh »

I took this one at Whitecross Green Wood on 2nd July. The backlighting makes an attractive picture.
Attachments
gvwhite.jpg
Rebecca

Post by Rebecca »

Ok its not great quality but I really love this photo. taken along the woodland ride near my home 29.05.11

Return to “Green-veined White”