Scotch Argus - Favourite Photo of 2011

GOLDENORFE

Scotch Argus - Favourite Photo of 2011

Post by GOLDENORFE »

another shot from arnside knot , a newly emerged specimen.

phil

Vince Massimo
Administrator & Stock Contributor

Re: Scotch Argus - Favourite Photo of 2011

Post by Vince Massimo »

This thread is now open :) and is where you can post your favourite photo(s) of a particular species taken in 2011...............or the last time you saw one!

This is part of a series which will hopefully grow throughout the winter until all 58 British species have been covered. Three new threads will be introduced per week. Our overseas friends are welcome to fill in the obvious gaps relating to our rare migrants, but please try to observe the alphabetical listing :)

Details of places, dates, times and circumstances would be appreciated and please feel free to contribute observations of behaviour, personal encounters, anecdotes and other interesting points.

Vince
millerd

Post by millerd »

One more from Arnside Knott (I wonder if anyone will actually post a Scottish individual - almost all the images here are like this one and from the northwest of England). This was the best of this year's bunch seen on a side trip from a drive up to York. The weather in Cumbria was warm and sunny; that in East Yorkshire a few hours later was dismal. 25th July.

I love the deep chocolate brown of the body of these butterflies, almost black in newly emerged specimens.

Dave
Attachments
SA1 resized.jpg
Reverdin

Post by Reverdin »

I didn't see any in 2011, so here are a couple of memories of a single male from the Kirby Stephen colony from 31st July 2010, pre canonista days :D
100731 E2.jpg
100731 E.jpg
:D
Vince Massimo

Post by Vince Massimo »

I did not see any Scotch Argus in 2011, but made a special trip to Arnside Knott in July 2010, which involved an overnight stay in the locality. It was nice and early in the flight season and they were at their velvety best. All the previous images in this thread appear to be males so here is one of my favourite photos of a female which displays a good strong set of spots.
Scotch Argus Female - Arnside Knott, Cumbria 28-July-10
Scotch Argus Female - Arnside Knott, Cumbria 28-July-10
Vince
MikeOxon

Post by MikeOxon »

To complement Vince's female, here's a photo of a mating pair, taken at Smardale, Cumbria, the last time I was there.
Smardale, Cumbria - August 1992
Smardale, Cumbria - August 1992
I'm slightly shocked to realise that this was taken 20 years ago! I've already resolved to make the trip North for Mountain Ringlet, so will have to make plans for Scotch Argus too (and Large Heath, and Northern Brown Argus). A busy 2012 ahead!

Mike
Reddog

Post by Reddog »

Hi I like this photo because it shows the upper and under wings in one shot.
Attachments
Taken at Arnside Knott 21/8/2011
Taken at Arnside Knott 21/8/2011

Return to “Scotch Argus”