November 2011 sightings

Discussion forum for sightings.
ChrisC

Re: November 2011 sightings

Post by ChrisC »

not only hibernate but they avoid rain by doing the same too. i watched this small tortoiseshell this summer disappear out of the rain into a burrow,
Chris
st.jpg
David M

Post by David M »

Saturday 5th November

We still haven't had a frost in the Swansea area this autumn and with the air temperature a pleasant 12C and virtually unbroken sunshine I took a little walk down Cwm Clydach where there are a few sheltered areas which, given the sunshine, I hoped would harbour some butterfly activity.

The first thing that struck me was the sheer number of leaves still hanging from the trees. Many haven't even turned brown and I don't think I can ever remember such a situation in November before in my entire lifetime.

The area alongside the river was particularly leafy - it looked more like early October than November 5th.

There were still plenty of insects buzzing round the ivy trailing about the railings (hoverflies, wasps, etc) but I suddenly spotted something much larger fluttering about. When it settled I could see it was a Red Admiral, so I took a shot from distance in case it flew off (you can see it in the middle of the photo just by the metal rail:

I've only ever seen three butterflies in November, and they've all been Small Tortoiseshells, so I was delighted to watch this Red Admiral enjoying itself in the relatively balmy conditions.

I watched it for several minutes before it eventually flew to the other side of the river where it settled high up in an oak tree.

As an aside, further up the path where the river current is much faster, I spotted an unusual bird flying close to the water. It was a stubby, kingfisher-type shape, grey-black wings with white around its throat. I couldn't get a photo as it disappeared into undergrowth but if anyone could suggest an ID I'd be very grateful.
ChrisC

Post by ChrisC »

white around the throat sounds like a dipper.

Chris
David M

Post by David M »

ChrisC wrote:white around the throat sounds like a dipper.

Chris
Thanks, Chris. I've checked images of Dippers and I'm pretty confident that's what I saw.

Are they rare?
jenks

Post by jenks »

Hi Dave,

Re Dippers, they`re common along the rivers of Wales (e.g the Taff all the way up from Bute Park in central Cardiff past Pontypridd, several pairs breeding ). One of the benefits of less industrial activity in the region is cleaner rivers = more birds like Dippers, Kingfisher and Goosander, all of which breed on the Taff in Glamorgan + Otters are now found.

Back to butterflies, I too saw a Red Admiral today flying through my office car park in north Cardiff, at 13.00 hrs, enjoying the sunshine and balmy November weather whilst I was enjoying work ( not ! ). But it proved a nice interlude.

Jenks.
Gibster

Post by Gibster »

David M wrote:Are they rare?
They are over here in London!!! Not so rare in your neck of the woods, particularly with post-breeding/pre-winter movements which often take them down from the hills towards the coasts. Cracking birds!

Gibster
Raising £10,000 for Butterfly Conservation by WALKING 1200 miles from Land's End to John O'Groats!!!
See http://www.justgiving.com/epicbutterflywalk or look up Epic Butterfly Walk on Facebook.
David M

Post by David M »

Gibster wrote:
David M wrote:Are they rare?
They are over here in London!!! Not so rare in your neck of the woods, particularly with post-breeding/pre-winter movements which often take them down from the hills towards the coasts. Cracking birds!

Gibster
The river in question is unpolluted and quite robust and fast flowing in parts. Now I've seen one I'll make a point of keeping an eye out for more. When's the best time to spot them?
jenks

Post by jenks »

[quote="David M

The river in question is unpolluted and quite robust and fast flowing in parts. Now I've seen one I'll make a point of keeping an eye out for more. When's the best time to spot them?[/quote]

all year round, they`re resident but as Gibster says tend to move away from the uplands and closer to the coast when the weather gets colder. They start singing to attract a mate as early as late Jan/early Feb if its mild and they will be feeding young from April. They will then sit on a rock in the middle of the stream looking for flies & other insects, dive and swim underwater ( hence the name ) to catch food and then re-surface and fly to the nest to feed the young. They have a high-pitched call which they make as they fly along the river. And if the river runs through a wood you can search for PB and SPB Fritillaries too !

Jenks.
MikeOxon

Post by MikeOxon »

Gibster wrote:They are over here in London!!!
Do not lose hope - they are moving down towards the River Thames, as there have been several sighting in Witney (Oxon) recently!

Mike
David M

Post by David M »

jenks wrote: all year round, they`re resident but as Gibster says tend to move away from the uplands and closer to the coast when the weather gets colder. They start singing to attract a mate as early as late Jan/early Feb if its mild and they will be feeding young from April. They will then sit on a rock in the middle of the stream looking for flies & other insects, dive and swim underwater ( hence the name ) to catch food and then re-surface and fly to the nest to feed the young. They have a high-pitched call which they make as they fly along the river. And if the river runs through a wood you can search for PB and SPB Fritillaries too !

Jenks.
I've already checked the area for SPBFs but have sadly failed to see any.

I'll definitely keep my eye on this stretch of river though as although I'd heard of dippers I'd never actually seen any till yesterday.
Reverdin

Post by Reverdin »

Red Admiral out here today in North Yorkshire... don't fancy it's chances much for very long!
lee3764

Post by lee3764 »

Visited Par Beach dunes, South Cornwall this afternoon in lovely sunshine & blue skies 1:00pm - 3:05pm (temp 12oC) & saw......6 Red Admirals, 2 Silver Y moths and suprisingly, 1 Small Copper (very fresh)!!!! Could this be the latest Small Copper sighting this year in Britain? Cornwall is good for late & early dates for certain species. My latest ever date for a sighting of a Small Copper is 22nd November, 1995 at Carlyon Bay woods near St Austell. Doubt I'll beat that date ever!! Also saw several Grasshoppers on edge of dunes. Note that nearly all the Red Admirals seemed to be heading West?!! Are they migrating west to attempt to transverse the English Channel? :?
Cheers,
Lee Slaughter (Cornwall).
David M

Post by David M »

A Small Copper in November is an amazing sighting. I haven't seen any since early September.
FISHiEE

Post by FISHiEE »

9 Red Admirals today during a walk of 7 miles or so around Thorney Island and Emsworth, Hampshire coast. They're still holding on :)
Gibster

Post by Gibster »

This is lifted from the Portland Bird Observatory website for 6th November: "There was a noticeable movement of many dozens of Red Admiral butterflies taking place into the wind (north-eastwards) throughout the island."

I take it that autumn 2011 is abnormal for late Red Admiral activity and sightings???

Gibster.
Raising £10,000 for Butterfly Conservation by WALKING 1200 miles from Land's End to John O'Groats!!!
See http://www.justgiving.com/epicbutterflywalk or look up Epic Butterfly Walk on Facebook.
Butterflymax

Post by Butterflymax »

I found a Red Admiral fluttering about by Hillmorton Locks in Rugby on Friday 4th November. That was the first time I have ever seen any species of butterfly in the wild during November of any year! In the Rugby area it has undoubtedly been the year of the RA.

Max.
Lee Hurrell
Stock Contributor
Stock Contributor

Post by Lee Hurrell »

Gibster wrote:This is lifted from the Portland Bird Observatory website for 6th November: "There was a noticeable movement of many dozens of Red Admiral butterflies taking place into the wind (north-eastwards) throughout the island."

I take it that autumn 2011 is abnormal for late Red Admiral activity and sightings???

Gibster.
Is it possible these ones were coming in? Perhaps to overwinter? Or trying to migrate outwards and caught up in the winds?

Cheers

Lee
To butterfly meadows, chalk downlands and leafy glades; to summers eternal.
David M

Post by David M »

Either way, they'll have a few more days yet to remain active. There are no night frosts forecast for the rest of this week in southern Britain and by the weekend the south east could well see highs of 17C again!
Jack Harrison

Post by Jack Harrison »

9th November. A thinning of the cloud here is northwest Norfolk raised the temperature to 14C and there was the inevitable (well for 2011) Red Admiral through the garden.

Jack
Jack Harrison

Post by Jack Harrison »

10th November, North Norfolk. Another amazing autumn day's weather with temperature around 14°C after the fog cleared. Lunch outside on the deck of The Albatros (one 'S' is correct Dutch spelling) in Wells Harbour.

Two Red Admirals seen during the day. On saltmarshes at Stiffkey and Warham, more Little Egrets (that once-rare bird) than you could "shake a stick at". At one point I had six in view.

Jack

Return to “Sightings”