Mark Colvin

This forum contains a topic per member, each representing a personal diary.
Mark Colvin

Re: Mark Colvin

Post by Mark Colvin »

Dear Susie,

Many thanks for your comments which I'll bear in mind next season.
Susie wrote:The first time I went to Cissbury ring to see butterflies I was disappointed. Subsequently I learned that they can frequently be found in the trench that encircles the top.
See you at the Sussex Branch AGM.

Good hunting.

Kind regards. Mark

Diary entries for 2011 have been archived. If there are missing images in this post, then they can be found in this archive if one exists. All archives can be found here.
Mark Colvin

Post by Mark Colvin »

Hope Gap, 7 October 2011

Time to reflect …

I arrived at South Hill Barn around midday. The sky was grey and the temperature was around 14°C, though the wind had settled slightly from yesterday. My destination, Hope Gap and Seaford Head Nature Reserve.

Situated in the South Downs National Park, this location has some of the finest views in Sussex and provides panoramic views of the Seven Sisters and Cuckmere Haven. For those unfamiliar with this area the Seven Sisters Country Park is comprised of 280 hectares of chalk cliffs, meandering river valley and open chalk grassland. The Country Park is named after the famous 'Seven Sisters' that form part of the chalk cliffs on the Sussex Heritage Coast, one of Britain's finest unspoilt coastlines.

The short walk to Hope Gap takes you through Hope Bottom, an area of thick scrub providing food and shelter to many species. A single Red Admiral flew past as I walked down the track sheltered by Wild Privet and Blackberry, both heavily laden with their seasonal harvest. A thorough search of Cliff Bottom, down to Coastguard Cottages and Seaford Head Nature Reserve followed and produced just one Red Admiral heading south.

As I sat and looked across the Cuckmere Valley towards the Seven Sisters and the Belle Tout lighthouse in the distance, I reflected on how many Red Admiral and other migrant species may have passed this way both recently and in years gone by and how many had seen this beautiful area of land as their last before heading out across the sea …
UKBHG2.jpg
UKBHG1.jpg

Diary entries for 2011 have been archived. If there are missing images in this post, then they can be found in this archive if one exists. All archives can be found here.
Mark Colvin

Post by Mark Colvin »

Hog Wood, 9 October 2011

Unwelcome visitors …

Early this afternoon I received a phone call from a friend of mine who had captured an unusual caterpillar … “did I want to see it?” … silly question really!

On arrival I was led to the jam jar which contained my prize, or rather had as my friend had decided not to put the lid on in case it suffocated! We didn’t find the caterpillar but later identified it as the larva of the Pale Tussock (Calliteara pudibunda), a fabulous looking caterpillar and one I would have loved to of photographed. Anyway, the good news was her brassicas were being eaten …

On inspection of her ‘white sprouting brocolli’ both Large White and Small White larvae were found.

There is a God after all …
Small White larva, Hog Wood (9 October 2011)
Small White larva, Hog Wood (9 October 2011)
Large White larvae and Small White larva, Hog Wood (9 October 2011)
Large White larvae and Small White larva, Hog Wood (9 October 2011)

Mark Colvin

Post by Mark Colvin »

Heyshott Escarpment, 12 October 2011

Giving something back …

Earlier today I joined Neil and six volunteers from the Murray Downland Trust. This was to be the start of a long period of hard work, scheduled to be undertaken throughout the winter months, to help further improve one of the best Duke of Burgundy sites in the country - Heyshott Escarpment in West Sussex.

The Murray Downland Trust was founded in 1993 and is named after Dr Elizabeth Murray, former Principal of Bishop Otter College, and her brother, Kenneth Murray. The Murray’s were pioneers of Downland conservation. The current objectives of the Trust are to rescue and enhance neglected areas of unimproved Chalk Downland in the counties of Sussex and Hampshire, revealing their richness in terms of the species of flora and fauna present. John Murray, Elizabeth Murray's nephew and current Chairman of the Trust, along with his wife Tricia joined us today.

Currently the Trust manages five reserves in the South Downs, between points south of Petersfield in Hampshire and Midhurst in West Sussex. These are (in order of decreasing size) Heyshott Escarpment, Heyshott Down, Buriton Down, Under Beacon and The Devil's Jumps. As a direct result of the Trust's management of the reserves there is a wealth of flora and fauna to be found, including some species, which are nationally rare. Occupying the site of former chalk quarrying which is thought to go back to the Romans, extraction was last undertaken at Heyshott Escarpment during the 1930s. Its history of intermittent disturbance and colonisation by chalk plants has resulted in a very rich flora and fauna. Heyshott itself is designated as a Site of Special Scientific Interest (SSSI).

A very productive session was had and I look forward to further involvement with this project.

Sightings of several Red Admiral brightened up the day …
UKBHEWP4.jpg
UKBHEWP3.jpg
UKBHEWP1.jpg

Mark Colvin

Post by Mark Colvin »

Kithurst Hill, 14 October 2011

With good weather first thing and the temperature forecast to hit 18°C by midday, I popped over to Kithurst Hill earlier this morning to see what was about.

It was a little chilly when I first arrived with much of the meadow shaded by trees, their leaves now subjected to the touch of Autumn. The sun lay low in the sky. A few sunlit pockets on the lower northern edge produced a single Red Admiral stretching its wings and warming itself ready for the day ahead. Although I had seven or eight sightings of Red Admiral whilst I was there, my observations would suggest that this most probably had been five individuals in total. A single Comma, intent on staying high in the canopy of the ash trees and several rather tatty male Speckled Wood were also found.

As part of the regular management programme, the embankments on both sides of the road leading to the main parking area are currently undergoing their annual trim, the main meadow is due to be cut in due course.

I look forward in anticipation to new life this coming spring ...

Species seen included:

Red Admiral
Comma
Speckled Wood
Red Admiral, Kithurst Hill (14 October 2011)
Red Admiral, Kithurst Hill (14 October 2011)

Mark Colvin

Post by Mark Colvin »

Frog Firle, 15 October 2011 - Part 1

A downland saunter …

Early this afternoon I headed west along Cradle Hill under a cloudless pastel blue sky and with a light southeasterly wind blowing. Passing through the first two fields of sheep a single Red Admiral, heading south with intention, was all I found. Upon entering The Comp the sun, low in the sky, had cast a long shadow over much of the first section of track. The air was cool. As the pathway opened up near to the golf course and the shadows shortened, the sun warmed the ground once more. A single male Speckled Wood sat watching as I passed.

As I cut down through the long grass towards Rathfinny Farm, a second Red Admiral flew past. I sat for a while and admired the wonderful downland views, the sun warming my back. Moving on and passing Rathfinny Pumping Station, a small covey of Grey Partridge took flight. It wasn't until I reached the lower slopes of Cradle Hill, where Silver-spotted Skipper are to be found earlier in the year, that three further Red Admiral were seen along with a single Comma found nectaring on the remaining flower heads of Ragwort … the only ‘yellow’ I managed to find this afternoon. A text message from Colin Knight had told me he had been successful in finding a single Clouded Yellow at Mill Hill.

Though I had a very relaxing walk in beautiful countryside … I couldn’t help but think that I should of headed to Shoreham!

Species seen included:

Red Admiral
Comma
Speckled Wood
Comma, Frog Firle (15 October 2011)
Comma, Frog Firle (15 October 2011)

Mark Colvin

Post by Mark Colvin »

Frog Firle, 15 October 2011 - Part 2

Flying high …

I have always been intrigued by those who throw themselves out of planes, others who leap from high structures with elasticated ropes strapped around their ankles and individuals, such as those below, who upon discovering a high hill feel a need to leap off the edge into thin air!

Madness maybe, though undoubtedly exhilarating.

I’ll be keeping my feet firmly on the ground though …
UKBPARA1.jpg
UKBPARA4.jpg
UKBPARA5.jpg
UKBPARA3.jpg

Lee Hurrell
Stock Contributor
Stock Contributor

Post by Lee Hurrell »

Hi Mark,

The sky was gorgeous on Saturday wasn't it...the blue in those shots is beautiful.

Is that Wilmington in the distance in the last one?

Cheers

Lee

To butterfly meadows, chalk downlands and leafy glades; to summers eternal.
Mark Colvin

Post by Mark Colvin »

Hi Lee,

Thanks for your message.

I agree, the sky was an absolutely wonderful colour on Saturday afternoon. When I mentioned in my earlier post that it was a cloudless pastel blue sky, I really meant just that.

Regarding my fourth picture you’re very close. What you can actually see is Deep Dean with Windover Hill in the far distance to the right. Wilmington Hill is a little further back and to the right with Wilmington village hidden behind the hill. The small downland village of Litlington can be seen just behind and to the right of the parascender.

Good hunting.

Kind regards. Mark

Lee Hurrell
Stock Contributor
Stock Contributor

Post by Lee Hurrell »

Hi Mark,

Sorry, I meant Windover Hill! I think that is the path I take up from the small car park (the long man is just over the ridge). It looks over Deep Dean as you ascend with wonderful views to the coast. Over the next ridge can be found Sussex Graylings!

Best wishes,

Lee

To butterfly meadows, chalk downlands and leafy glades; to summers eternal.
Mark Colvin

Post by Mark Colvin »

Church Norton, 18 October 2011

A very brief visit to Church Norton, on the western side of Pagham Harbour, produced just five Red Admiral sheltering from the wind - the best pictured below. A Common Crossbill (Loxia curvirostra), flying across the car park by the church, was a nice bonus as I arrived.

It's back to Heyshott Escarpment tomorrow ...
Red Admiral, Church Norton (18 October 2011)
Red Admiral, Church Norton (18 October 2011)

Mark Colvin

Post by Mark Colvin »

Pagham Harbour Local Nature Reserve

Further to my recent visit to Pagham Harbour, I thought I would undertake some research on its history. I have known the area for many years and as far as I can remember it’s only ever been a nature reserve …

Pagham Harbour is an internationally important site for wildlife and is home to numerous plant and animal habitats. It was designated as a Local Nature Reserve in 1964 and has designation as a Site of Special Scientific Interest (SSSI), for its nationally important plant and animal communities and for the geomorphology of the coast, as a Special Protection Area and a Natura 2000 site by the European Commission and as a Ramsar Site as a wetland of international importance. The Reserve covers approximately 1500 acres of which half is made up of saltmarsh and mudflats. The remainder is comprised of farmland, copses, lagoons, reedbeds and shingle beaches. The site is particularly important for waders and wildfowl in the autumn and winter and the Dark-bellied Brent Geese that come here in large numbers between September and January.

The Romans came through Pagham in 46 AD and during Roman times Pagham Harbour was a primary seaport for Southern England. Pagham Harbour was probably also used by the Saxons who called it Uedringmutha. By the Middle Ages the area was known as Wythering or New Haven and was a busy and thriving landing place. However, an attempt in the 1200s to found a new town or port called Wardour, probably near Sidlesham, seems to have been a failure.

Originally there was much waterborne traffic to the quay at Sidlesham, but by the 1870s trade had declined to a few dozen boats visiting the tide-powered mill there. At this time the whole harbour was reclaimed for agriculture by damming the harbour mouth, and the mill - now high and dry - went out of business. The sea broke through the harbour wall in a storm in 1910 flooding the area; since then it has looked much as it does today.

One of my favourite birding sites ...
Pagham Harbour - Looking north from Church Norton (18 October 2011)
Pagham Harbour - Looking north from Church Norton (18 October 2011)

Mark Colvin

Post by Mark Colvin »

Heyshott Escarpment, 19 October 2011

Conservation in action …

Today we commenced our second work party of the season at Heyshott Escarpment. It’s quite amazing how much important hard work can be completed by just a small group of dedicated volunteers and two chainsaws. Having cleared so much ground we even had to start a second bonfire!

The aim of our work was to create a conservation corridor whereby linking strategically located regions and habitats for the Duke of Burgundy. We certainly went a long way to creating that today.

A hot bath was a welcome end to the day …
UKBHEY1.jpg
UKBSAW1.jpg

Mark Colvin

Post by Mark Colvin »

Waltham Brooks, 6 November 2011

A chilly afternoon …

This afternoon I took a pleasant though rather chilly walk with my son over Waltham Brooks in search of owls.

Heading along the edge of the river the water meadows appeared quiet. A small group of Long-tailed Tit were heard calling whilst a couple of Reed Bunting moved amongst the riverside sedges and rushes. A pair of Stonechat were seen though quickly lost in the tall grass. On the open areas of water Wigeon and Teal were heard; their whistling and far-carrying calls evoking memories of times past. Several Shoveler and Mallard were observed nearby. Upon finding a good vantage point along the riverbank we stopped and scanned the extensive habitat along both sides of the river. A Red Kite flew overhead with several mobbing corvids in tow. A Common Buzzard was found perched on a fence post whilst several Cetti’s Warbler could be heard singing from nearby vegetation. Individual Green and Great Spotted Woodpeckers along with good numbers of Fieldfare were also found.

With the chill setting in we headed back. As we arrived at the car park by Greatham Bridge we watched the sun gently slip out of sight behind the South Downs.

We left before the owls arrived …
UKBWALBROOKS1.jpg

Colin Knight

Post by Colin Knight »

Great story and pic as usual Mark. Greetings from The Maldives, I'm busy photographing Butterfly fish and everything else that sits or move into range of my lens! story on my blog
cheers, Colin

Mark Colvin

Post by Mark Colvin »

Hi Colin,

Thanks for your kind comments.
knightct wrote:Great story and pic as usual Mark.
I've been following your blog with interest. Some great pictures of some fabulous fish. I trust its warmer there than it is here?!

Conservation work tomorrow.

Good hunting.

Kind regards. Mark

Mark Colvin

Post by Mark Colvin »

Saturday, 12 November 2011

An important day …

Three months ago my good fishing friend Richard Chandaman sadly passed away unexpectedly. It was a great shock not only to me but also to his family and to others who knew him well. He is greatly missed ...

That said, life goes on and so will Richard’s memory in “The Biggest Fish of All”. Though he died tragically just a few hours before the book was cleared to go to press, its publication stands as a testament to his hard work and determination in getting the book completed. I recall, with many pleasant memories, numerous sessions proof reading the text and drinking coffee, whilst reminiscing about past captures and those that got away and planning trips for the coming season …

Richard was one of four editors and the main driving force behind the production of this new book. The official launch, which took place today at The Lands End in Twyford, was extremely well attended. Many of the contributors to the publication, which included a number of well-known fishing celebrities, were on hand and armed with pens for the avid autograph hunter. I was particularly interested in talking to a number of the artists present whose works were included in the book.

I know this is not exactly butterflies but there is a good-looking entomologist pictured on page 345!

Richard would have been proud of today …
UKB6.jpg
UKB2.jpg
UKB3.jpg
UKB5.jpg
UKB4.jpg
Perch Book1.jpg

Susie

Post by Susie »

Please accept my sympathy on the loss of your friend, Mark, but the book looks to be a fitting tribute to his memory and something for his family and friends to be proud of.

ChrisC

Post by ChrisC »

any chance of an ISBN no. i want to add to my christmas list. Perch are one of my favourite fish. after the disease struck many years ago i can remember a haul of 7 perch none over 6inches long being an impressive catch in a local water. have never caught a really big one but a day of 6 2lb'ers freelining under the rod top in 15 minutes with my old man still brings back fond memories. he too was my fishing partner so i know how much of a loss this can really be. my sympathies extended.

Chris

Mark Colvin

Post by Mark Colvin »

Hi Susie,

Many thanks for your kind words, they are genuinely much appreciated.

Kind regards. Mark

Return to “Personal Diaries”