Green Hairstreak - Favourite Photo of 2011

celery

Green Hairstreak - Favourite Photo of 2011

Post by celery »

A thread in which to post your favourite photo(s) taken in 2011 of Green Hairstreak.

Details of places, dates, times and circumstances also appreciated. Feel free to contribute observations of behaviour, personal encounters, anecdotes, anything really... you know the score by now :)
Six day weekends, one day pauses.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/16155010@N04/
Michaeljf

Re: Green Hairstreak - Favourite Photo of 2011

Post by Michaeljf »

I sort of feel I should have had more chances to see Green Hairstreaks in South Wales - I've heard there are some good spots for them near the Brecon Beacons, so maybe next year I might be able to see some there. Previously I've only really seen them at Prestbury Hill (Cheltenham) at Buckland Wood.

Early this year (in that nice spring weather!) I visited Buckland Wood (Somerset) where I've been before for both GH and Duke of Burgundy (without luck previously on the DoB). The weather was a bit iffy and I didn't see very many Green Hairstreaks but I watched a couple of individuals for about 20 minutes on some of the small suckler bushes (I had expected to see the adults hugging the bushes at the edges of the wood though!).

This was one of my favourites...

Michael

dilettante

Post by dilettante »

This was my favourite. Unfortunately the butterfly has been marked by a researcher, but never mind. Green Hairstreaks were my first successful finding of a target species for the year. Seems a long time ago now!

19-Apr-2011, Devil's Dyke, Cambs. Sony A700, Tamron 180/3.5 1/400s f/8 iso200
marmari

Post by marmari »

There is a spot in the West Wight where we are always sure to see this lovely little butterfly.This pic was taken on the 12th April and is perhaps my best effort.
Talking about marks,I noticed when viewing the shot that 'bodies' had got into the camera as can be seen.It cost me a bit to have it cleaned.
If I was into the software I am sure this nasty mark could be erased.
dilettante

Post by dilettante »

marmari wrote:Talking about marks,I noticed when viewing the shot that 'bodies' had got into the camera as can be seen.It cost me a bit to have it cleaned.
If I was into the software I am sure this nasty mark could be erased.
Removing these sort of things from a camera is very easy, so no need to pay someone to do it. It would also be easy to remove that mark from the photo. PM me if you'd like me to have a go for you.
Ian Pratt

Post by Ian Pratt »

Taken at Winchester on the photographic day in late April.
Attachments
01-Pratt-Ian--CRW_3383.1.jpg
Ian Pratt

Post by Ian Pratt »

Some great photos here. :)
Last edited by Ian Pratt on Wed Nov 02, 2011 8:09 am, edited 1 time in total.
Wurzel
Stock Contributor
Stock Contributor

Post by Wurzel »

Last year I didn't even have to try to find Green Hairstreak - I went to Martin Down and there they were! :D
This year try as I might I just couldn't find them! :evil: Then on my fourth visit to Martin Down I came across one in the grass - not in a bush at head height! :shock: The shot is lousy but it's my only one from this year so has to be my favourite!
194.JPG
Have a goodun

Wurzel
millerd

Post by millerd »

One of my favourite butterflies - I love their spiralling tussles and their glorious colour, matching the new growth of spring all around them. April this year was memorable for sun and warmth and Green Hairstreaks kept popping up when I was looking for other things. First of two I rather like was one nectaring at Totternhoe on 29th April when I was seeking Small Blues. Secondly - and of particular note - was this female: judging by the strained attitude of the antennae and the curve of the abdomen, she might well have been laying an egg... (Rewell Wood, Sussex, 25th April - on a quest for PBF.)

Dave
Attachments
GH1 resized.jpg
GH1 resized.jpg
Susie

Post by Susie »

I was spoilt for choice this year as there were loads at Denbies. Next year may be a very different story.
Spring%20of%20the%20green%20hairstreak.jpg
Nick Broomer

Post by Nick Broomer »

I don`t care if this is supposed to be a Green Hairstreak favourite photo, i`m playing hideandseek, and if that silly sod behind the camera does`nt clear off soon they will know where i am. "Go on, ..... bugger off".
Last edited by Nick Broomer on Wed Nov 02, 2011 12:01 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reverdin

Post by Reverdin »

This image was taken in a small moorland enclave in April, bilberry in abundance....
1/160 at f9.0 iso 100 7D + 100mm macro IS
1/160 at f9.0 iso 100 7D + 100mm macro IS
:D
celery

Post by celery »

Nothing much to shout about from me in this category - despite the green hairstreak being one of my favourite butterflies. Must try harder next year.

This one from Bison Hill on April 25th from the same excursion as Duke of Burgundy.

Six day weekends, one day pauses.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/16155010@N04/
Neil Freeman

Post by Neil Freeman »

Back in April and Early May I visited Ryton Meadows near Coventry a couple of times and saw a number of Green Hairstreaks each time. I also saw a few in Early May when I went to Prestbury Hill looking for Duke of Burgundy.

One of my favourite photos, taken at Ryton Meadows during my first visit in April, is the one below. It gives me the impression that the butterfly is about to take off using the leaf as a springboard.

It was also one of my first trips out with my Panasonic Lumix and as this was one of my first shots with this, I was very pleased with it.
Green Hairstreak - Ryton Meadows.
Green Hairstreak - Ryton Meadows.
Cheers,

Neil F.
Vince Massimo
Administrator & Stock Contributor
Administrator & Stock Contributor

Post by Vince Massimo »

I am fortunate to have Green Hairstreak at my local site, but reliable sightings were confined to one particular bush in a very awkward spot. This year however, they were everywhere and also very approachable and I spent a very enjoyable afternoon on 21st April in their company.
Green Hairstreak and friend - Chaldon, Surrey 21-April-11
Green Hairstreak and friend - Chaldon, Surrey 21-April-11
Vince
MikeOxon

Post by MikeOxon »

The metallic sheen of the underwings can be tricky for photography but this one worked well and the green hue provides good camouflage amongst the bright Spring leaves. The generic name Callophrys means beautiful eyebrow.
BBOWT Ardley Quarry - 1st May 2011<br />Nikon D300s with Tamron 90mm - 1/250s@f/11 ISO400
BBOWT Ardley Quarry - 1st May 2011
Nikon D300s with Tamron 90mm - 1/250s@f/11 ISO400
I have noticed that the white streak is reduced to a few dots on many of this year's photos. Perhaps it's a temperature thing?, as a specimen I photographed in Scotland a few years ago had a strong white streak.

Mike

Return to “Green Hairstreak”