autumnwatch

Discussion forum for books and any other media concerning butterflies.
Susie

autumnwatch

Post by Susie »

Anyone else watching Autumnwatch this year?
Lee Hurrell
Stock Contributor
Stock Contributor

Re: autumnwatch

Post by Lee Hurrell »

I will be, once someone has finished Location.... :lol:
Last edited by Lee Hurrell on Mon Feb 24, 2014 11:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.
To butterfly meadows, chalk downlands and leafy glades; to summers eternal.
Mark Colvin

Post by Mark Colvin »

Michaela Strachan is the new presenter :D
Trev Sawyer
Stock Contributor
Stock Contributor

Post by Trev Sawyer »

I watched it (and saw the great shot of the aberrant Meadow Brown with white underwings), but had the sound turned down...
...Couldn't miss listening to the full 24 minute version of "Echoes" by Pink Floyd on BBC6 Music Radio at the same time :mrgreen:
Heaven!

Trev
Susie

Post by Susie »

Mark Colvin wrote:Michaela Strachan is the new presenter :D
Michaela 'cameltoe' strachan as she now known in our household after her wardrobe misfunction last night! :lol:

The meadow brown was great. Not seen anything like that before.
Gibster

Post by Gibster »

This is intolerable! Michaela Strachan is a deity. Cameltoe indeed. Pete, please strike Susie from the Members list forthwith!!! :wink:
Raising £10,000 for Butterfly Conservation by WALKING 1200 miles from Land's End to John O'Groats!!!
See http://www.justgiving.com/epicbutterflywalk or look up Epic Butterfly Walk on Facebook.
David M

Post by David M »

Susie wrote: Michaela 'cameltoe' strachan as she now known in our household after her wardrobe misfunction last night! :
If I remember rightly, her 'cameltoe' cameos date way back to when she was a gyrating dancer on 'The Hit Man and Her'.
Wurzel
Stock Contributor
Stock Contributor

Post by Wurzel »

I am so glad that at last the misnamed "Humble" has gone, Micheala is a great replacement...all we need now it Terry Nutkins and I'd be made up!

Have a goodun

Wurzel
Pawpawsaurus

Post by Pawpawsaurus »

Wurzel wrote:I am so glad that at last the misnamed "Humble" has gone, Micheala is a great replacement.
Don't get too excited - Humble's absence may only be temporary, while she's filming for a forthcoming series. Once that's done, she may well be available for next year's Springwatch. And don't forget that Strachan would have to be flown over from South Africa if the BBC wanted her again, which they may not be keen on in these straitened times.

IDEA: They could keep both of the ladies and ditch Hughes-Games instead. Yes.

Paul
Lee Hurrell
Stock Contributor
Stock Contributor

Post by Lee Hurrell »

I must admit I was dismayed to hear that we would have Strachan rather than Humble but actually I thought she was good on the show, although I missed any wardbrobe malfunctions!

Do you think someone has told Hughes-Games to stop wearing glasses? (Glasses on, glasses off; repeat forever).

Nice to see a few butterflies and moths on the show with quite a few mentions of BC too.

Cheers

Lee
David M

Post by David M »

Wurzel wrote:I am so glad that at last the misnamed "Humble" has gone
I concur. She lives near Abergavenny and a couple of years ago the Chair of the Tourism Association wrote to her asking if she'd be prepared to do a short speech at the AGM (last year the Beavan family graciously showed up - the ones that had featured in 'Lambing Live' all through the spring). Not only did she refuse (which she is perfectly entitled to do) but she also let the Chair know how appalled she was that this request was not channelled through her agent.

Humble is most definitely inappropriate.
Susie

Post by Susie »

Kate Humble may be like marmite, love her or hate her. I am a big fan ...
Attachments
292041_207745055960585_100001752762321_512838_568513245_n.jpg
Neil Hulme

Post by Neil Hulme »

Kate can throw me as many 'come-hither' looks as she likes, as she frolics in the grass, but for me she can never compare with the rose that is Michaela Strachan. :D
Neil
Kipper and Michaela.jpg
Michaeljf

Post by Michaeljf »

Hmmm...I've no problem with Kate on Springwatch, and Michaela is fine. I've no problem with Hughes-Games, I think he's quite funny. And I do think Chris Packham is a much better 'lead' in the programme. Very sorry to have missed the wardrobe malfunction...

However, if they were going to stick a new female presenter in, I'd vote for Ellie Harrison (Countryfile). Why not go for someone that's a bit younger to change the age-line up a little bit? She'd keep my interest, anyway :wink:

Has Autumnwatch always been once a week, or have they cut the schedule this year? :|

Michael

p.s. Neil - I think you should put that gorilla suit away, it's way too small for you now :lol:
Lee Hurrell
Stock Contributor
Stock Contributor

Post by Lee Hurrell »

Michaeljf wrote:However, if they were going to stick a new female presenter in, I'd vote for Ellie Harrison
NOW you're talking...
Paul Wetton

Post by Paul Wetton »

In an ideal world (mine anyway) I'd scrap the blokes especially the up his own ar** Packham and have the not so Humble but I believe quite pregnant, the lovely Michaela and the beautiful Charlotte Uhlenbroek.
Cheers Paul

Post by Susie »

Michaeljf wrote:However, if they were going to stick a new female presenter in, I'd vote for Ellie Harrison (Countryfile). Why not go for someone that's a bit younger to change the age-line up a little bit? She'd keep my interest, anyway :wink:
:
I like Ellie Harrison too so wouldn't mind seeing her on the show.

If they were to pick another female presenter I don't see why they shouldn't go for someone older rather than younger. I'd vote for Clarissa Dickson Wright (the remainder of the two fat ladies). She loves her countryside and the animals in it and would add a whole new slant to the programme. :lol:
Michaeljf

Post by Michaeljf »

Susie wrote: I'd vote for Clarissa Dickson Wright (the remainder of the two fat ladies). She loves her countryside and the animals in it and would add a whole new slant to the programme.
It'd add a new slant for me, I'd turn it off if she was on it.. :shock:

I actually thought that Liz Bonnin was good in the last week of Springwatch 2011, though I didn't know what her background was. Iolo Williams was excellent, but again there's enough men on the show as it is :)

I think Chris Packham is great. I know he's one of those slightly 'marmite' personalities but - as much as I liked Bill Oddie - he moved the whole thing up a couple of notches when he came in. I mean, he knows his pooh and he's a big fan of The Smiths and Morrissey. What more could you ask for?

I'm always surprised at the diverse reaction to Kate Humble as a presenter. She's neither excited nor offended me!

Michael
Pawpawsaurus

Post by Pawpawsaurus »

Susie wrote:If they were to pick another female presenter I don't see why they shouldn't go for someone older rather than younger. I'd vote for Clarissa Dickson Wright (the remainder of the two fat ladies). She loves her countryside and the animals in it and would add a whole new slant to the programme. :lol:
She sure would. She could present a 'Cookery Corner', where the deer, badgers and squirrels could be further enjoyed. :lol:

But why the need for three studio presenters anyway? Not long ago Springwatch/Autumnwatch had just two on-site presenters (Oddie/Packham & Humble), with Simon King being out in the field. Martin Hughes-Games was brought in later to co-present Unsprung, whose pub-on-a-Saturday-night style suited him. He has now sidled his way permanently into the main programme, where a third presenter seems totally unnecessary. In my view, three's a crowd, and Hughes-Games should be sent back to Unsprung.

Michaele Strachan is one of the presenters who was dropped along with Miriam O'Reilly when Countryfile moved to prime-time. I can't help thinking that the BBC chose her for this series in a bid to refute the 'ageism' accusations made during O'Reilly's successful court case.

I'm not particularly bothered who the main presenters are, as long as they know their subject and don't overdo the jolly banter. Then again, I'm sure the BBC want the programme to appeal to youngsters, so it mustn't come across as an Open University lecture either. It's a balancing act.

Paul
Gruditch
Moderator & Stock Contributor
Moderator & Stock Contributor

Post by Gruditch »

Susie wrote:'cameltoe'
Damn it, I don't usually watch Autumnwatch, but I'll have to look that up on iplayer now. :shock:

Regards Gruditch

Return to “Books, Articles, Videos, TV”