caterpiller id please

Discussion forum for getting a butterfly identified.
crazyivor

caterpiller id please

Post by crazyivor »

can any one id this caterpiller and tell me which butterfly or moth it will become thanks, sorry bout the poor image1011710116
Lee Hurrell
Stock Contributor
Stock Contributor

Re: caterpiller id please

Post by Lee Hurrell »

I'm afraid I can't see the images?

Cheers

Lee
To butterfly meadows, chalk downlands and leafy glades; to summers eternal.
crazyivor

Post by crazyivor »

can you see then on my profile? im new to this sorry
Pete Eeles
Administrator & Stock Contributor
Administrator & Stock Contributor

Post by Pete Eeles »

Yes, the photos are on your profile. Not sure how you did that!

What is the date, location and foodplant?

Cheers,

- Pete
Life Cycles of British & Irish Butterflies: http://www.butterflylifecycles.com
British & Irish Butterflies Rarities: http://www.butterflyrarities.com
crazyivor

Post by crazyivor »

2 days ago, in Bradford West Yorkshire, not found near any plants, just on path outside my drive
Trev Sawyer
Stock Contributor
Stock Contributor

Post by Trev Sawyer »

Difficult to tell as the photos are very small and won't blow up, but they could potentially be Buff Ermine moth caterpillars.

Trev
crazyivor

Post by crazyivor »

i thought that aswell trev but most that iv seen have an orange stripe down there side, this one doesnt, very strange indeed
Trev Sawyer
Stock Contributor
Stock Contributor

Post by Trev Sawyer »

I reckon I've got it Ivor... Looking at the photos, your caterpillar has a darker end. I initially thought that the dark end was the head end, but if that is the tail end then it would exactly fit the Rosy Footman caterpillar. Google that and see what you think. :)

There is a picture in "The colour identification guide to caterpillars of the British Isles" by Jim Porter which looks very similar - page 28 (G)

Trev
Last edited by Trev Sawyer on Wed Oct 05, 2011 10:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.
crazyivor

Post by crazyivor »

sorry to say but the dark end is the head end, i think it looks like a white ermine moth caterpillar but it doesnt have any strippes???? it does however have orange feet??
crazyivor

Post by crazyivor »

i think iv found it!!!!! could it be a great leopard moth caterpillar???? it looks exactly like one but doesnt have red rings when it curls

or a tiger moth caterpillar (arctia caja)
Trev Sawyer
Stock Contributor
Stock Contributor

Post by Trev Sawyer »

One small problem with the "Great Leopard moth" caterpillar is that it doesn't occur in the UK Ivor (lives in USA) and from what I can see It is dark all over (apart from the red rings on the body segments which you have mentioned). Our "Leopard Moth" in the UK is completely different to that and the caterpillar is a yellowish colour with virtually no hairs at all. The Garden Tiger moth caterpillar has long black hairs on top and brown ones on the side (and I believe would only be very small at this time of year as they hibernate when very young, before continuing their growth after their slumber).
Looking again at your photos, still suggests to me that the caterpillar has black hairs at one end and lighter (grey) ones at the other. I cannot find many photos of the Rosy Footman caterpillar on the web, but here is one:
http://www.lepidoptera.pl/show.php?lang=UK&ID=201 That still looks pretty close to me and these would be around at the moment. Can't think of what else it could be, but if the dark end of the caterpillar is a shadow, maybe someone else might venture a guess?

Trev
crazyivor

Post by crazyivor »

i'll try get another picture on but its about 3cm long, completely black, has 6 feet under its head, 8 under its midrift and 2 under its tail. its tail seems to be wider than its head hope this helps abit more
Trev Sawyer
Stock Contributor
Stock Contributor

Post by Trev Sawyer »

I've looked at the new photo and the larger versions of the original ones you posted, but as I'm sure you will agree, they are not really clear enough to make any identifiable characteristics visible Ivor. Your description of the layout of the legs is standard for caterpillars and unfortunately doesn't help to narrow it down. Unless you see a similar one and can get a clearer photo, you may not be able to work out what it is :(

Having shown a keen interest in identifying the little critter, you have hopefully been drawn a bit deeper into the wonderful world of butterflies and moths and the variety we have in the UK though... So maybe by the next time you see a similar caterpillar, you will be in a better position to put a name to it :D

Best wishes,

Trev
crazyivor

Post by crazyivor »

I have examined my caterpiller again but outside this time in natural sun light and have noticed something i overlooked down each side just above its feet it is infact a very dark brown colour and found an identical picture on this websitehttp://somethingscrawlinginmyhair.com/2 ... terpillar/. Indeed i have grown very intersted, i have even started looking into which plants and flowers attract weird and wonderfull caterpillers to my garden

Thank you everyone

John
crazyivor

Post by crazyivor »

i have now taken a picture with a digital camera so you can see it better, i think it will explain alot
Trev Sawyer
Stock Contributor
Stock Contributor

Post by Trev Sawyer »

Aha!
That looks like a Cream Spot Tiger moth caterpillar (Arctia villica). With the coloured feet you mentioned, it would have looked like this?...
http://ukmoths.org.uk/show.php?id=1329

Trev
crazyivor

Post by crazyivor »

it took a while but we finaly got there, and by the sounds of it this one wont become an adult till may/june, thanks and ill keep u posted when it does.
Trev Sawyer
Stock Contributor
Stock Contributor

Post by Trev Sawyer »

Yeayy!... and the wait will be worth it - they are spectacular-looking moths John. :D

Trev

Return to “Identification”