Winter Jolly 2011

Discussion forum for field trips and any other events.
Susie

Winter Jolly 2011

Post by Susie »

Does anyone have any suggestions for when or where we meet up for a bit of a natter and a drink or two?

I'm thinking maybe towards the end of November but if that's not do-able then February.

I'd be intersted to know who'd like to come along and what you would prefer.
millerd

Re: Winter jolly

Post by millerd »

An excellent idea.

My entirely selfish preference would be for something like a pub with decent food and beer that can be reached by train from London (though I'm happy with a half hour walk or so to and from whatever station it is). However, I'm open to any ideas, really.

November/February? Both?

Dave
Susie

Post by Susie »

Hi Dave,

You've raised a good point and I will make sure the venue is within easy reach of trains. Especially as people may want to enjoy a few drinks.

I'm thinking that if we can get something sorted for November and it's successful then we can meet again.

Is everyone happy with it being in the south of england?i know this forum has members all over the place but the majority of people I think may be interested at the moment are in the London, Sussex, Hampshire, Dorset and Wiltshire areas.
ChrisC

Post by ChrisC »

count me in. :)
Susie

Post by Susie »

Right, well that is Dave, Chris, Pete, Piers and me so far who are keen on the idea. That's grand :D
Mark Colvin

Post by Mark Colvin »

I'm up for it ... providing Salmon's on the menu! :wink:
Piers

Post by Piers »

Good lord Mark, what are you saying..? :shock:
Susie

Post by Susie »

ahem, back to the matter in hand :lol:

Winchester seems pretty central and with great road and rail links. The only problem is I've never been there. Is there a suitable pub in the area that someone could recommend?
Gruditch
Moderator & Stock Contributor

Post by Gruditch »

selbypaul

Post by selbypaul »

Would love to join in if I can make it
Susie

Post by Susie »

It would be great to have you along.
Philzoid

Post by Philzoid »

I wouldn't mind coming if I could convince myself that I wouldn't end up missing you all like I did at Kempton Park yesterday? Those running stall 11 told me that no-one turned up at the UKB stall. The note said you'd meet at 1:00 but perhaps my timekeeping wasn't good :roll:
Gibster

Post by Gibster »

Well heck, if Piers is at the bar I'd like to come along too please??? :twisted: :twisted:

Plus I've a rather big birthday in January if anyone is in the Epsom area (lotsa pubs and a train station, direct line into London...) :P

Gibster.
Raising £10,000 for Butterfly Conservation by WALKING 1200 miles from Land's End to John O'Groats!!!
See http://www.justgiving.com/epicbutterflywalk or look up Epic Butterfly Walk on Facebook.
Piers

Post by Piers »

Gibster wrote:Well heck, if Piers is at the bar...
...waiting for you to release the moths from your wallet Seth..! (is that a ten shilling note in there?!) :P

Piers.
Susie

Post by Susie »

Philzoid wrote:I wouldn't mind coming if I could convince myself that I wouldn't end up missing you all like I did at Kempton Park yesterday? Those running stall 11 told me that no-one turned up at the UKB stall. The note said you'd meet at 1:00 but perhaps my timekeeping wasn't good :roll:
I'm not sure how you missed us Phil unless you were very late or early. The UK B stall wasn't manned but there was a group of us standing very close by it at 1pm.

Anyway, it would be nice to see you again if you do come along to the next meet up.

I've been looking at a few places online and wonder if people would prefer something along the lines of a more traditional pub like The Black Boy http://www.telegraph.co.uk/foodanddrink ... ester.html or a bit more gastropub like The Old Vine http://www.oldvinewinchester.com/bt.htm.

I'm not sure what parking is like in Winchester, it doesn't appear that either pub has a car park. :?

If only a couple of us are coming by public transport I may look at something outside of the city and arrange lifts from the station to anyone who needs them.
P.J.Underwood

Post by P.J.Underwood »

Count me in,I need to track down Piers.
P.J.U.
Susie

Post by Susie »

Having looked at the parking situation and been warned about the one way traffic system in Winchester, particularly as we're looking at the 26th November which is the first Saturday after many people get paid before Christmas, I think that somewhere just outside of it may be better.

Earlier in the year many people managed to successfully get themselves to Easton in Hampshire which is just outside of Winchester. I think this may be a good location for the Winter get together as it is not too far from the motorway but should be a pretty relaxed environment. I am sure people will be willing to car share and/or give lifts to anyone using public transport.

There are two pubs in Easton, The Cricketers Inn and The Chestnut Horse. Can anyone recommend either of these pubs? Thanks,
Piers

Post by Piers »

P.J.Underwood wrote:Count me in,I need to track down Piers.
P.J.U.
It wasn't me, it was like that when I found it. :shock:
Susie

Post by Susie »

Piers wrote:
P.J.Underwood wrote:Count me in,I need to track down Piers.
P.J.U.
It wasn't me, it was like that when I found it. :shock:
Hehe, what have you done? :lol:

Anyway, as someone needs to make a decision I reckon we meet in The Cricketers in Easton, Hampshire, from 12.30 on Saturday 26th November. If it's awful (or if we fancy a bit of a pub crawl) then we may decamp to the Chestnut Horse later on.

http://www.beerintheevening.com/pubs/s/ ... Inn/Easton
Gruditch

Post by Gruditch »

Suz, I think when we were in Easton for the Photography workshop, one of those two pubs was closed down, can't remember which :?

Regards Gruditch

Return to “Field Trips and Events”