October 2011 sightings

Discussion forum for sightings.
Trev Sawyer
Stock Contributor
Stock Contributor

October 2011 sightings

Post by Trev Sawyer »

Temperatures reached over 29C in Cambridge today and I decided to visit a site close to the now infamous (and finally opened) Guided Bus route at Over. A sweaty walk along an area of desiccated vegetation turned up a "fly-by" Peacock, a single Small Copper and a (surprise) solitary female Common Blue. Not much to nectar on now and I was grateful to find any butterflies among the hoards of grasshoppers.
Also, there's been a Hummingbird Hawk moth appearing periodically in my garden over the past couple of days.

Trev
David M

Re: October 2011 sightings

Post by David M »

That's the feeling I've been experiencing lately - perfect weather but too long after the horse has bolted.

I can only begin to imagine how great this would have been for spotting Pembrokeshire Brown Hairstreaks had it arrived one whole calendar month earlier. :(
Zac.Hinchcliffe

Post by Zac.Hinchcliffe »

I was out ringing birds on the marshes near Llanfairfechan, Conwy today. I discovered a young imago Red Admiral with almost fully 'folded' wings. Watching it 'have a stretch' was a real joy!

Zac
dilettante

Post by dilettante »

Hatfield Forest, Essex today: A few Red Admirals, Speckled Woods, Commas and a Small Copper. See my diary entry for pictures
Neil Freeman

Post by Neil Freeman »

Sheldon Country Park by Birmingham Airport this afternoon, temperatures somewhere in the high 20s.

Singles of Small Copper, Small Heath and Common Blue. Also a high speed flypast of either a Red Admiral or Peacock.

Report and photos in my diary.

Neil F.
dilettante

Post by dilettante »

Anyone care to id this dragonfly for me? Female common darter?

Gibster

Post by Gibster »

Still a handful of Small Coppers flying in the grazing area of Epsom Common. One female was pristine, the other individuals were all a bit tatty. I was a tad thrilled to discover my first Small Copper eggs - 2 on the same sorrel leaf! :P Plus fair numbers of Speckled Woods and the odd Red Admiral.

Roesel's, Southern Oak and Dark Bush-crickets still much in evidence along with Long-winged Conehead, Meadow, Field and Common Green Grasshoppers. Also discovered Great Crested Newts at two different ponds!!! Coupla Adders, Grass Snakes and a Common Lizard sum up the highlights, and it was very odd to be sweating in the intense heat whilst migrating Siskins called overhead, a bird associated with wintertime down here!

Gibster.
Raising £10,000 for Butterfly Conservation by WALKING 1200 miles from Land's End to John O'Groats!!!
See http://www.justgiving.com/epicbutterflywalk or look up Epic Butterfly Walk on Facebook.
Rosalyn

Post by Rosalyn »

West Face Quarry, Whittlesey, Cambs - Saturday 1st October‏

There is a rumour going around that the butterfly season is over in Cambridgeshire, not so Nick! Whilst walking the high perimeter of the West Face Quarry with PhiliB (Mr grumpy) :roll: we saw a good number of 3rd brood butterflies - Wall Brown 2, Small Copper 5 & Brown Argus 2. We also saw Peacock 3, Red Admiral 2, Small Tortoiseshell 1, Painted Lady 1 & Small White 2. Very Hot and butterflies were very active so no good pics, still it was nice to see so many species this late in the season. Rosalyn
vawn

Post by vawn »

over the last 4 days i have seen something like 30 red admirals :O
[FONT=Comic Sans MS][FONT=Comic Sans MS]Image[/FONT]
Nick Broomer

Post by Nick Broomer »

This morning i popped out for a couple of hours to my local patch, Oaken wood. Hopefully to photograph Brimstones for the third weekend running. Alas no Brimstones, but i did see five Red Admirals, all heading south, two stopped for a brief moment to bask in the October sun, One Comma and two very worn Speckled woods. One of which was sun drenched, sun tanned, with mouldy coloured green spots. Picture below.

Nick
Jack Harrison

Post by Jack Harrison »

Sunday 2nd October, NW Norfolk.

Several Red Admirals but best of all was a Red Kite at Castle Rising. Unmistakeable wing shape (slightly kinked) and slightly forked tail. It landed in tree at edge of football field.

Just before dawn today in nearby North Wootton, a veritable orchestra of Tawny Owls in Ling Common (but of course none seen although one was hooting very close indeed).

Jack
Last edited by Jack Harrison on Sun Oct 02, 2011 4:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Mark Colvin

Post by Mark Colvin »

hideandseek wrote:sun drenched, sun tanned, with mouldy coloured green spots
Was that the Speckled Wood or the Photographer! :lol:
Nick Broomer

Post by Nick Broomer »

Think your funny Mr. Colvin, :x well it made me chuckle, but i just lack the mouldy coloured green spots :)

Nick
Hugh Middleton

Post by Hugh Middleton »

A pleasant hour with my 5 year old grandson at Chambers Wood this afternoon produced a single Painted Lady and several Peacocks, Red Admirals and Small Coppers.

Hugh
David M

Post by David M »

Today was the last day to suspend belief and go out walking whilst trying to come to terms with the fact that it's October. I visited Kenfig Dunes near Swansea and it was a beautiful morning, with temperatures into the 70s by 1030am and a full 24C when I arrived back at my car at 12.20pm. It was so frustrating to see so few butterflies on the wing to enjoy the unseasonal conditions though - I saw a mere half dozen; 4 Red Admirals, 1 Small Tortoiseshell and a Meadow Brown.

There were a fair few Silver Y moths buzzing about, and quite a lot of dragonfly activity down near the lake. The wind was barely detectable even on the shore whilst there were people swimming in the sea!!

Stunning October day, blue sky and temperatures warm enough for bathing.

Even the crows were overheating:

This Red Admiral was enjoying a feast on these Asters, but it was sad that so few butterflies were about to take advantage of the freak conditions:

There were quite a few dragonflies about. Does anyone know which species this is?

One last incredulous look at the lake before departing for home:

Paul Wetton

Post by Paul Wetton »

Both requested dragonfly ID'd appear to be female Common Darters. The first has pale on the legs so is definitely Common Darter.
Cheers Paul

Post by David M »

Thanks, Paul.
Jack Harrison

Post by Jack Harrison »

But autumn is just around the corner. This scene (Ling Common to north of King's Lynn) is just two minutes walk from my home.

click (perhaps twice) on image to see bigger version

Jack
Attachments
Common.jpg
Wurzel
Stock Contributor
Stock Contributor

Post by Wurzel »

Sorry got lost for a moment there looking for September sightings, doh! :roll:

Speckled Wood and Small White at Five Rivers yesterday

2 Red Admirals in my graden this morning

11 largish dark butterflies between Salisbury and Stourhead - vanessids?

Comma, 3 Red Admiral, 2 Speckled Wood and Small Copper (caerlopuntata at Stourhead today as well as some dragon flies which were probably Common Darters... photos tomorrow hopefully in my personal diary

Have goodun

Wurzel
Rosalyn

Post by Rosalyn »

Kings Dyke Whittlesey

After seeing Trevor Sawyer's report of a Common Blue yesterday Mr grumpy and I :wink: returned to King's Dyke and this time went to the nature reserve rather than the adjacent quarry. We headed for a Common Blue 'hot spot' where we saw 5 (3 male & 2 female) including a mating pair. Also seen were Small Copper 7, Brown Argus 2, Small White 3, Peacock 1 & Red Admiral 1. All in all a good day

Return to “Sightings”