What can we expect?

Discussion forum for discussing the weather, both now and predicted!
David M

What can we expect?

Post by David M »

The weather has been remarkable for the time of year lately as we all know. I'm 44 in a couple of weeks, and I can honestly say I've never experienced anything like it at the very end of September.

What's more, the forecast is for more of the same through the first few days of October, with the all time UK record October temperature of 29.4C (set on 1.10.85) expected to be beaten tomorrow. Even up to Thursday, it still looks as though it'll remain in the high 60s/low 70s in the south and east.

We had an unusually warm April, and of course that brought forward the flowering time of many plants. However, those plants still in bloom are the last ones standing and no amount of warm weather is going to resurrect those whose season is already over.

What can we expect vis-à-vis butterfly populations though? I wouldn't expect univoltine species to suddenly generate a 2nd brood, but could we see a further emergence of some of the double-brooded species?

Also, this weather system is being dragged in from off the continent. Although winds are light, I suspect butterflies will be more active than usual due to the heat. Does this mean it may be more likely we might see a few continental residents making their way over here or is the general trend now for butterflies to actually be heading SOUTH as the hours of daylight decrease?
millerd

Re: What can we expect?

Post by millerd »

Interesting questions. Definite migrants like Painted Ladies and Red Admirals are known to head southwards - and this is probably triggered by day length as much as anything. I have no idea whether Clouded Yellows head south again in the same way - two years ago near Beachy Head, the large numbers locally were attributable to both home-grown individuals descended from previous arrivals, and fresh immigrants seen coming in off the sea. I can recall no reports of any setting out to sea again. If anything is to drift up to us on the southerly winds, we have to look at what might be around in France and Northern Spain at this time of year, I suppose. And as much of adjacent Northern Europe has shared our poorish summer, the answer might be not very much. The Monarch reported from Dorset is good to hear, of course.They are very robust butterflies and can clearly endure a long and probably bumpy journey.

Third broods of certain species are popping up sporadically - there are reports on this site of fresh Common Blues, Brown Argus and Holly Blues. Certain others - Wall, Speckled Wood, Small Copper - are not so unusual in doing this.

Dave
David M

Post by David M »

It's official. The record October temperature for the UK has been beaten:

The record has been broken for the highest temperature recorded in October - now at 29.9C (85.8F).

It was set at 14:42 BST in Gravesend, Kent, beating the previous record of 29.4C (84.9F) recorded on 1 October 1985, in March, Cambridgeshire.

In Wales, a new October record was set at 28.2C (82.7F) in Hawarden, Flintshire, at 14:12 BST, the Met Office confirmed.

Temperatures in England topped those in Athens, Los Angeles and Barcelona....

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-15137832
Susie

Post by Susie »

All I can say is that it was flipping hot. When I got home this afternoon there were red admiral and small white in the garden and it felt more like the start of August than the start of October.
David M

Post by David M »

Susie wrote:All I can say is that it was flipping hot. When I got home this afternoon there were red admiral and small white in the garden and it felt more like the start of August than the start of October.
Even here in Swansea it's been glorious. I had to work today on overtime and I only finished at 5.35pm. As I was driving back home I looked at my clock and temperature gauge on my dashboard - at 1742hrs it was 23C and even after the sun went down at 1930 it was still sultry. Amazing stuff and something I won't ever forget.

Return to “Weather”