Mark Colvin

This forum contains a topic per member, each representing a personal diary.
Neil Freeman

Re: Mark Colvin

Post by Neil Freeman »

Lee Hurrell wrote:Congrats on your Brown Hairstreak, Mark - at last!

Lovely Nymphalid photos and the Chantry Hill picture is stunning.

Cheers

Lee

Seconded.
Some great shots there Mark.

Nice to see you have been out and about.
Unfortunatly, I have been stuck in work this week when the sun was out :( Lets see what the weekend brings, the forecast is looking a bit mixed.

Cheers,

Neil F.

Diary entries for 2011 have been archived. If there are missing images in this post, then they can be found in this archive if one exists. All archives can be found here.
Mark Colvin

Post by Mark Colvin »

Dear Lee and Neil,

Thank you both once again for your very kind comments. I am away this weekend on 'family business' so am unlikely to get out with the camera ... though you never know! I hope the weather brightens up in your areas and that you both manage to find an opportunity to escape. I did get out on Friday and took a few shots and will hopefully have some pictures to post on my return.

Good hunting.

Kind regards. Mark

Diary entries for 2011 have been archived. If there are missing images in this post, then they can be found in this archive if one exists. All archives can be found here.
Mark Colvin

Post by Mark Colvin »

Friday, 16 September 2011

With the weather looking rather inclement for the weekend, Plan A was to visit the eastern perimeter of Pagham Harbour in search of a possible migrant ... another Clouded Yellow would have been nice and I have seen them at this location in good numbers in previous years! In practice my visit produced very little. A small number of Speckled Wood and Small White, a single Large White, two Green-veined White and two Red Admiral adding a welcome splash of colour. I couldn't help thinking that I should have taken my binoculars and telescope rather than my camera.

So to Plan B, which to be honest I didn't have ...

There was only one place I could think of that wouldn't let me down. You guessed it, Kithurst Hill. I arrived with the cloud building high in the sky and the wind increasing in strength. The sun was out and it was humid. Although there were still reasonable numbers of butterfly on the wing, or building on their reserves for the long winter's sleep ahead, today Kithurst Hill and its butterflies looked sadly tired and in need of rest. It has been very good to me this season and I probably won't visit again this year, wanting to remember it and its occupants in their prime. I managed a couple of reasonable shots though the subjects were sadly not wearing their best attire!

With still some time on my side a quick visit to Pulborough Brooks RSPB reserve produced a nice Comma feasting on the blackberry fruit near to the visitor centre and several male Speckled Wood patrolling their territories nearby. Finally, a brief visit to Southwater Country Park produced a pristine Comma sunning itself on bramble.

The season is not over yet but today left me feeling it won't be long ...
Comma, Kithurst Hill (16 September 2011)
Comma, Kithurst Hill (16 September 2011)

Wurzel
Stock Contributor
Stock Contributor

Post by Wurzel »

Cracking shot there Mark :D :mrgreen: - I know what you mean about everything looking tired, over the last few days I've seen 2 Red Admirals and 5 Whites and that's been it!
Have a goodun

Wurzel

Mark Colvin

Post by Mark Colvin »

Hi Wurzel,

Many thanks for your kind comments they are genuinely much appreciated.
Wurzel wrote:Cracking shot there Mark
Glad to see you've been photographing other insect Orders recently.

Good hunting.

Kind regards. Mark

Mark Colvin

Post by Mark Colvin »

Ashdown Forest, 18 September 2011

Despite being at a family get together this weekend, I did manage to ‘survive’ and more importantly get out for a couple of walks, though these were mainly unproductive. The first, on Saturday morning, was spent trying to keep dry as the clouds opened as soon as we set off. Those of us brave or maybe foolhardy enough to continue got wet, though were invigorated after a walk of several miles on Ashdown Forest. With the rain passing by mid afternoon and the sun now shining, another walk of slightly shorter distance was taken. Sadly I could not even muster a Speckled Wood!

Sunday was slightly more productive though not on the lepidopteran front. Whilst walking along a stream edge on the forest a large (45-50 mm) green insect larva was found and photographed feeding on Common Alder (Alnus glutinosa). I later identified this as the larva of the Large Alder Sawfly (Cimbex connatus).

Further research has suggested that up until 1997, C. connatus was virtually extinct in Britain having not been recorded for over 90 years, the last record prior to that having been in 1904. During the 19th century, it would appear to have been fairly widespread in southern England, having been found in Suffolk, Kent, Surrey, Sussex, Devon and Cornwall. Since July 1997, when the insect was recorded near Salisbury in Wiltshire, it has been recorded with increasing frequency throughout southern and eastern England and as far north as southeast Yorkshire, though is still classed as rare. Many recent records of C. connatus would appear to be associated with amenity-planted Italian Alder (Alnus cordata) in such places as supermarket car parks. It may therefore be the case that at least some of the recent records are the direct or indirect result of accidental re-introductions.

The larvae feed on alders, including Alnus glutinosa, Alnus incana and Alnus cordata. Fully grown, they are about 50 mm long and have a dark dorsal stripe all the way along the body. They generally feed between July and September but may still be found as late as October. The adult insect is large with a wingspan of around 50 mm and superficially resembling a hornet.

For those who may not know, although superficially similar to lepidopteran larvae, which have three pairs of thoracic legs, five pairs or less of abdominal prolegs and a pair of anal prolegs at the rear, sawfly larvae have six or seven pairs of abdominal prolegs (as clearly shown in the picture below) in addition to the thoracic legs and anal prolegs. The exception to this are the sawfly species whose larvae live inside the leaves, twigs and timber of trees and plants where evolution has reduced the function of the legs to a point where they are virtually absent in these species.
Large Alder Sawfly, Ashdown Forest (18 September 2011)
Large Alder Sawfly, Ashdown Forest (18 September 2011)

Mark Colvin

Post by Mark Colvin »

Steyning and Chantry Hill, 19 September 2011

An early phone call with Neil and the possibility of another late season Brown Hairstreak was enough to tempt me to Steyning Rifle Range. I arrived early and took a leisurely stroll around the site. The weather was warm and promising.

A lovely male Speckled Wood was the first butterfly to be encountered near to the gated entrance to the reserve. Shortly after, several Red Admiral were seen along with reasonable numbers of Meadow Brown and a couple of Small Heath. A single Large White and a Green-veined White added to the list. Neil had joined me shortly before the ‘witching hour’ of Hairstreak activity though his presence on this occasion sadly didn’t produce the results. Whilst walking through the upper levels of the reserve Neil spotted a single larva of the Knot Grass (Acronicta rumicis) on Devil's-bit Scabious (Succisa pratensis). We both took several shots before moving on. As we left the site and headed back down to our vehicles several pristine Speckled Wood were seen along the main footpath.

We then both headed across to Chantry Hill in the hope of a Clouded Yellow … you have to keep trying!

A nice Painted Lady was seen as we descended from the summit along with good numbers of Meadow Brown, several Red Admiral and a single Small Tortoiseshell. Others species found included Small Heath and Small White. The Clouded Yellow didn’t show. Several specimens of the Silver Y (Autographa gamma) were also seen. Whilst we absorbed the view looking over the western elevations a Raven flew overhead, its call betraying its presence, whilst a Sparrowhawk hunted in the valley below.

I'll be out again soon ...
Knot Grass (Acronicta rumicis), Steyning (19 September 2011)
Knot Grass (Acronicta rumicis), Steyning (19 September 2011)

Mark Colvin

Post by Mark Colvin »

21 September 2011

On Thursday, 15th September, a local ornithologist took a picture of a Harrier near to The Burgh, northeast of Arundel in West Sussex. Much debate lingered over the identification of the bird, which at first was tentatively identified as a juvenile Montagu’s Harrier. With further sightings and pictures coming forth it was later confirmed as a juvenile Pallid Harrier, a first for Sussex. With anything remotely entomological out of the window this morning, due to the cloud covered sky, continuous drizzle and breezy conditions, I set off in anticipation of a new tick! A quick phone call to my ‘friend in the know’ put me on the spot where he and several others had seen the bird previously ... in the valley that runs northeast of Burpham.

Parking just south of Peppering High Barn, I checked out the fields to the southeast for movement. A beautiful male Hen Harrier appeared from across the field after only 10 minutes of looking, its pale grey body and black primaries clearly visible in the improving light conditions. As the blue sky started to appear and the sun pushed through the clouds, several Buzzards were seen above Perry Hill, one appearing to be mobbed by a Sparrowhawk. Suddenly my wait was over. From above the skyline of Perry Hill another Harrier appeared. As it quartered the fields down towards Coombe Lane it was clear, I had found the fabulous Pallid Harrier. I watched it for probably 10 minutes before it headed northwest and out of sight.

I was only there for just over an hour and in that time recorded six species of raptor including:

Hen Harrier
Pallid Harrier
Sparrowhawk
Kestrel
Hobby
Common Buzzard

Not a bad start to the day …
Harrier Country - The Burgh (looking southwest towards Arundel)
Harrier Country - The Burgh (looking southwest towards Arundel)

Mark Colvin

Post by Mark Colvin »

Denbies Hillside, 22 September 2011

Despite the numerous reports posted by other forum members, Denbies Hillside near Dorking is one location I have not previously visited. Today, after visiting clients nearby, I found myself travelling down the A24 with time to spare and decided to investigate.

Entering the main gate from the car park I headed southwest down through Steers Field and to the gate, which leads to the lower hillside. A Hobby flew overhead and the sky was full of Swallows and House Martins preparing for the long journey south.

Not surprisingly butterfly numbers were limited. A Small White was the first butterfly seen. Meadow Brown were showing in most areas in reasonable numbers, some nice specimens still to be found though none prepared to have their picture taken. Several Small Heath were seen on the lower slopes along with a single Comma and Red Admiral. My most pleasing find of the afternoon was a beautiful male Common Blue … I couldn’t help feeling sorry for him as I had the distinct impression he was the last of his tribe!

This is a beautiful area providing fabulous views over the surrounding countryside to the south. One can only imagine its beauty and abundance of butterflies earlier in the season. I will pay a visit much earlier next year …

Species seen included:

Common Blue
Small White
Red Admiral
Comma
Small Heath
Meadow Brown
Common Blue (male), Denbies (22 September 2011)
Common Blue (male), Denbies (22 September 2011)
Last edited by Mark Colvin on Fri Sep 23, 2011 5:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Mark Colvin

Post by Mark Colvin »

Denbies Hillside, 22 September 2011

Further to my earlier report regarding my visit to Denbies Hillside, several day flying moths were also noted including numerous Silver Y (Autographa gamma) and what I believe to be the plume moth Emmelina monodactyla. E. monodactyla is probably the commonest of the plume moths to be found in Britain and it can generally be found in all months of the year. The reason for any possible doubt I have regarding identification, is that there are a number of additional species of plume moth new to the UK which can only be separated by microscopic examination of their genitalia.
Emmelina monodactyla, Denbies (22 September 2011)
Emmelina monodactyla, Denbies (22 September 2011)

Mark Colvin

Post by Mark Colvin »

24 September 2011 – Part 1

With a weekend of good weather forecast and still chasing another Clouded Yellow, I set off in ideal conditions to Chantry Hill with my son joining me on this occasion. We arrived around midday and with climbing boots tightened and crampons sharpened (well it is rather steep up there) we headed straight to the summit passing a large flock of Meadow Pipits on the way.

Meadow Brown were the first butterflies to be seen followed by several Small White on the western slope, all feeding frantically from one flower to the next. Three, maybe four, Red Admiral were also seen and all appeared to have leapt straight from the pages of Lewis Carroll’s book Alice’s Adventures in Wonderland in the guise of the White Rabbit, as if late and not stopping for a second! A single male Small Copper was found on the lower northern slope. Though sadly not wearing his best attire, he did sit for a photo or two …

Whilst heading back up the main slope to the summit I decided to check out several small depressions, as they are sheltered from the wind and are generally warmer than the surrounding area. I’m glad I did, as despite not finding a Clouded Yellow I disturbed a Quail (Coturnix coturnix) resting up in the grass. It took flight from just below my feet, calling as it disappeared out of site down into the valley below.

A quick visit to Wiggonholt Common on the way home produced several Small Copper, including two female ab. caeruleo-punctata though both were slightly damaged.

With good weather forecast for the coming week …

Species seen included:

Small Copper
Small White
Red Admiral
Comma
Meadow Brown
Small Copper (female) ab. caeruleo-punctata, Wiggonholt (24 September 2011)
Small Copper (female) ab. caeruleo-punctata, Wiggonholt (24 September 2011)

ChrisC

Post by ChrisC »

thats an absolute cracker!

Lee Hurrell
Stock Contributor
Stock Contributor

Post by Lee Hurrell »

Agreed!

To butterfly meadows, chalk downlands and leafy glades; to summers eternal.
Mark Colvin

Post by Mark Colvin »

Dear Chris and Lee,

Thank you for your very kind comments.

Good hunting.

Kind regards. Mark

Mark Colvin

Post by Mark Colvin »

24 September 2011 – Part 2

During my last couple of visits to Chantry Hill there have been a very large number of ‘swarming’ small insects on the wing, particularly along the main footpath leading from the entrance gate to just below the summit and heading north. At first appearance to many they would appear to be some form of fly, they are in fact a species of Dung Beetle.

Today, on approaching the half way point before the track drops to the right, I came across the same insect ‘swarming’ on dung. There were many hundreds, possibly significantly more.

Aphodius contaminatus is a common UK species and is often found in very large numbers where it occurs. A. contaminatus is typical of most Dung Beetles, in that females are typically larger than the males. The ones I found today, ranged from between 5 and 7 mm. They are long legged and with distinctive elytra. The pronotum is fringed with long hairs.

Disturbing dung apparently attracts the adults in swarms, especially on hot days!
Aphodius contaminatus, Chantry Hill (24 September 2011)
Aphodius contaminatus, Chantry Hill (24 September 2011)

Mark Colvin

Post by Mark Colvin »

High and Over, 25 September 2011

And I thought Chantry Hill was steep …… !!!

This afternoon I met up with Bob Eade across the border in East Sussex at High and Over, which is located just to the south of the beautiful downland village of Alfriston. Our task to hopefully locate 3rd generation Wall, Bob having recently found and photographed some including a pair in copulation.

As we admired the absolutely stunning views across the Cuckmere Valley we noted a pristine Hummingbird Hawk-moth (Macroglossum stellatarum) nectaring nearby. Would it come close for a photo … NO!

On leaving the viewpoint we headed north through the sheltered area of scrub, surrounded by the ripe and abundant seasonal harvest of berries and fruits. Several Speckled Wood, somewhat past their best, were seen patrolling their territories. Numerous galls created by the Gall-wasp (Diplolepsis rosae) were noted. As we left the area of scrub and emerged on the open hill our first Wall appeared … a male and very active. Despite looking we lost sight of it very quickly, the strong wind not helping our quest. Bob then suggested we hit the southeast facing slope as it has proven a good area in the past. This was NO slope - sheer drop being a far more accurate description! A chap paragliding leapt off the edge as we headed cautiously down …

Needless to say, despite managing to get to the bottom and back up again in one piece, we didn’t find any Wall though did locate a couple of Meadow Brown and a solitary Small Copper. Shortly before saying farewell to Bob we walked back through the area we had seen the earlier Wall. Another, though probably the same specimen flew past and out of sight once more.

My thanks to Bob ...

Species seen included:

Small White
Small Copper
Red Admiral
Comma
Peacock
Small Heath
Wall
Meadow Brown
Speckled Wood
Gall created by the Gall-wasp (Diplolepsis rosae), High and Over (25 September 2011)
Gall created by the Gall-wasp (Diplolepsis rosae), High and Over (25 September 2011)

Mark Colvin

Post by Mark Colvin »

Kithurst Hill, 27 September 2011

I know I said I wouldn’t but I did …

Finding myself in Amberley early this afternoon and with the sun shining and Kithurst Hill being just a stones throw away, I succumbed to a total lack of willpower and I’m glad that I did! Admittedly the place is not the same as it was a month ago. However, it is still a place of magic and memories, of bright colours and living jewels and the smell of wild marjoram and thyme.

The large numbers of Red Admiral have now all but gone with just a single individual seen today. Two small male Peacock were found nectaring with one in pristine condition. A beautiful Comma was also found and posed for several pictures. The meadow perimeter played host to several Speckled Wood. Two female and a single male Brimstone were also seen.

My memory reflected on the female Clouded Yellow I found here earlier in the month … I wonder where she is now?

Maybe I’ll go back again …

Species seen included:

Small White
Brimstone
Red Admiral
Comma
Peacock
Speckled Wood
Speckled Wood (male), Kithurst Hill (27 September 2011)
Speckled Wood (male), Kithurst Hill (27 September 2011)
Brimstone (male), Kithurst Hill (27 September 2011)
Brimstone (male), Kithurst Hill (27 September 2011)

Colin Knight

Post by Colin Knight »

Mark, I finally got to see your awesome Stoat. I returned to the Tide Mills today in the vague hope of another Weasel sighting, instead we enjoyed great afternoon Autumn light, a sea fret and an Egret. The Clouded Yellow is still eluding me.
Colin

Mark Colvin

Post by Mark Colvin »

Hi Colin,

Thanks for your post. I'm glad you liked the Stoat.
knightct wrote:Mark, I finally got to see your awesome Stoat.
I'm hoping to make a visit to Tide Mills over the next week if time allows - maybe see you there?

Good hunting.

Kind regards. Mark

Mark Colvin

Post by Mark Colvin »

Plaistow, 28 September 2011

I arrived home last night and the grass needed a cut …

As I was getting the lawnmower out of the shed I noticed that the small self-seeded Sallow around my pond was in the latter stages of being defoliated. Upon closer investigation I noticed it was covered in Sawfly larvae. A few photographs and a bit of research later would suggest they are the larvae of Nematus capreae (N. miliaris). This appears to be one of three species known to be found on Sallow. It is also reported to feed on Poplar.

The larvae are quite characteristic. They are green, with a pattern of black dots and stripes running the length of the body and just over 2cm in length. There is a yellowish band behind the head and the rear abdominal segments are also yellowish in colour. The head is black. The larvae of N. capreae also assume the well-known S-position when they feel threatened (as shown below). The larvae pupate underground and there are usually two broods each year. The adults are typically on the wing in May and June and again in July and August. The eggs are deposited in the twigs of the foodplant.

I'm going to have to buy a book on Sawflies now ...
Nematus capreae, Plaistow (28 September 2011)
Nematus capreae, Plaistow (28 September 2011)

Return to “Personal Diaries”