Mountain ringlet

Simon C

Mountain ringlet

Post by Simon C »

I will be in Ambleside around July 8 - does anyone know if there is any chance of seeing a mountain ringlet anywhere nearby? I don't mind if involves a fair hike - that's what I'm going for!

Thanks.

Simon
Rogerdodge

Post by Rogerdodge »

Hi
I found Cold Pike very good a few years back.
Park at Three Shire Stone, and head up to Cold Pike. The best spot was between Cold Pike and The Gaitkins at about NY263033
If the weather is such that they are not flying, have poke around in some of the gassy tussocks for sheltering individuals.
We found three altogether in not very good conditions.
Good luck.

tuftyhill

Post by tuftyhill »

Hi Simon,
we had good numbers c10 on 9th June at Fleetwith, Honister Pass. It was cloudy on arrival at the site but seconds after the sun appeared the M Ringlets appeared from everywhere.

If you require further directions let me know.

Regards

Paul
Simon C

Post by Simon C »

Thanks for both these suggestions.

9th June seems an awful long time ago - any idea if they still likely to be on the wing? I understood they have quite a short season.

Paul, do you have a map reference for the best spot, or maybe there's a local feature nearby I can try to locate?

Thanks.

Simon
tuftyhill

Post by tuftyhill »

Hi Simon,
sorry for the late reply, I assume you are in Ambleside by now. For the Fleetwith M. Ringlets you park at the Slate Quarry / Youth Hostel on the B5289 and take the footpath behind the Slate Quarry (signposted 'Haystacks') you then walk up the zig-zag path for a few minutes before it straightens out and continue on this path until it starts to flatten out a bit. You will then see some upright pieces of slate on your right. At this point there will be another path off to the left that goes up a hill. Take this path and the M Ringlets were in the rough grasses on the left of the path as you head up the hill.
You may well be too late but with the weather being as it has, but there may be a few left.
Good luck
Paul
markhows

Post by markhows »

So am I going to be too late this weekend?

I was going to combine it with Northern brown argus are these out yet in this unpredictable season?

Thanks

Mark
walshey

Mountain Ringlet - Ben Lawers

Post by walshey »

Mountain Ringlets are out now at Ben Lawers. I saw several today which were apparently the first this year at the site (according to visitor centre staff). They were from just inside the Northern end of the enclosure and for a few hundred metres uphill in a NE direction. HTH

Return to “General”