Best Week For Chequered Skipper

Discussion forum for places to see butterflies.
Lawts

Best Week For Chequered Skipper

Post by Lawts »

Hi I'm planning a trip to Mull next year. I wanted to go in the first week of May to be able to photograph Corncrake before they all disappear into the grass. I was hoping to combine the trip with seeing Chequered Skipper at either Glasdrum or Glen Loy. Will I be too early for them defo being out?

Thanks.
Paul Wetton

Re: Best Week For Chequered Skipper

Post by Paul Wetton »

Hi Lawts

I visited Glasdrum at the very end of May last year and found plenty, some of which were quite worn so you may be lucky. I would try on your way back from Mull for the best chance of finding them. We spent two days at Glasdrum Wood. You really need a spot of sun as well.

I've filmed Corncrake but not on Mull we made the crossing from Mull to Iona for them. From the ferry we walked up through the village and took a left turn just past the old nunnery to a house on the hillside with long grass in the garden. Lucky for us they were breeding in the garden. We saw both male and female including the male singing (if you can call it that) in full view. It took a while to spot them in the long grass though. You can be almost stood on the blighters and still not be able to see them. They seem to be able to throw their voices. If they're not in the garden we heard loads further along the same track.

Good luck.
Cheers Paul
Administrator & Stock Contributor

Post by Pete Eeles »

Hi Lawts,

To be honest, I think that will be too early. The last week of May is typically the start of the flight period, or mid-May in exceptional years.

Cheers,

- Pete
Life Cycles of British & Irish Butterflies: http://www.butterflylifecycles.com
British & Irish Butterflies Rarities: http://www.butterflyrarities.com
The Annoying Czech

Post by The Annoying Czech »

They recently occured in May 9th in the Central Europe (with very hot & sunny spring 2011). Which is already very early...

The peak might have been around May 12th and May 15th.

I wouldn't risk it even slightly later than 1st week of May, especially if your populations are not that abundant.
Rosalyn

Post by Rosalyn »

Philib and I visited Glen Loy 7th June this year. Good numbers of CS. The hotelier told me a fellow enthusiast was there a week earlier and had good numbers too
Pete Eeles

Post by Pete Eeles »

The Annoying Czech wrote:They recently occured in May 9th in the Central Europe (with very hot & sunny spring 2011). Which is already very early...

The peak might have been around May 12th and May 15th.

I wouldn't risk it even slightly later than 1st week of May, especially if your populations are not that abundant.
Mull is quite a bit behind central Europe :)

Cheers,

- Pete
Life Cycles of British & Irish Butterflies: http://www.butterflylifecycles.com
British & Irish Butterflies Rarities: http://www.butterflyrarities.com
Paul Wetton

Post by Paul Wetton »

Just checked my website www.ibirdz.co.uk and noted we saw Corncrake on Iona singing on 22nd May. If this is a reasonable date for Corncrake then it may give you a better chance for Chequered Skipper. It could be that Corncrake are more difficult to find later in May as you suggest though. My parents failed completely the week after we visited.

Possibly it would be best in two trips. We stayed at a B & B near Glasdrum for one night last year to get two days looking for Chequered Skipper. We were lucky and had one day with quite a bit of sunshine at the end of May.

It can be really hit aqnd miss with the weather on the west coast as you probably know. There is a report of our west coast trip up to Scotland on my website and a few notes on our trip to Glasdrum last year in the 2010 diary section both found on the home page if you're interested.
Cheers Paul

Post by lee3764 »

Lawts wrote:Hi I'm planning a trip to Mull next year. I wanted to go in the first week of May to be able to photograph Corncrake before they all disappear into the grass. I was hoping to combine the trip with seeing Chequered Skipper at either Glasdrum or Glen Loy. Will I be too early for them defo being out?

Thanks.
Hi Lawts,

Following my discovery of good numbers of this species in several colonies within the heart of Glen Loy during 1988 & 1989, I have visited/stayed in Glen Loy for many years during late 1980's & 1990's & 2008 during the last week of May & 1st week of June (all dates inclusive) which with weather permitting, should be fine for seeing the Chequered Skippers flying (1st week of May IS too early!). Somewhere on this website is my article on "Rediscovering the Chequered Skipper at Glen Loy during 2008" by me (Lee Slaughter) and this will point you in the right direction. I travelled all the way from Cornwall each time (645 miles each way!!). Happy days :D pre - speed cameras :oops: , stupid amounts of heavy traffic & crippling petrol prices :evil: !! :cry:
Hope this helps you matey.
Cheers,
Lee Slaughter (Cornwall).
Lawts

Post by Lawts »

Thanks all for your replies. It is looking like two trips.

The only thing that made me hopeful were the dates on the UK butterfly monitoring site. I did a trawl of the last ten years and often there were numbers of CS for week 1 of May.
Rogerdodge

Post by Rogerdodge »

Lee Slaughter wrote-
Somewhere on this website is my article on "Rediscovering the Chequered Skipper at Glen Loy during 2008" by me (Lee Slaughter)
http://www.ukbutterflies.co.uk/reports_leeslaughter.php
Cheers

Roger
Lawts

Post by Lawts »

I'm now planning to hit Glasdrum Wood around the 24th May, and take the risk that I'll be late on the Corncrakes for good photography - it's probably an obvious statement but presumably this date gives me far more scope for success with Chequered Skipper?

Thanks

Steve
Michaeljf

Post by Michaeljf »

Hi Steve,

I'm guessing so, as I'm hoping to go up there (not sure if I'll chose Glasdrum Wood or not) for around that time. I guess - depending on the weather, any time from the middle of May to the second week in June would be OK. It's more a question of how good the specimens will be if they're a bit taggy!

Scotland and weather - even more unpredictable than Wales and the weather.. :roll: :wink:

Michael
Paul Wetton

Post by Paul Wetton »

Hi Steve

If the Corncrakes are still singing (if you can call it that) you'll have a good chance of photographing them with patience.

If the weather is good around the 24th you'll hopefully get the CS as well.

Good luck
Cheers Paul

Post by Rogerdodge »

I have just been booking leave for 2012.
There is a double Bank Holiday on June 4th and 5th.
Very fortuitous.
:lol: :lol: :lol:
Cheers

Roger
ScottD

Post by ScottD »

weather permitting Glasgow & South West Scotland branch of BC should have our usual CS weekend probably 26/27 May (ties in nicely with Save Our Butterflies Week since that has been moved).
All welcome & details will appear on our website in due course.
Might just catch the end of PBFs & SPBFs & Marsh Frit should be about (also Narrow-bordered Bee Hawk Moth).

Last year our first CS record was 4th May which was earlier than normal.
David M

Post by David M »

ScottD wrote:Last year our first CS record was 4th May which was earlier than normal.
I was just about to post that as last year was exceptional given the abnormally mild period between late March and early May. I was on standby to get up there any time from mid-May, but sadly the weather in the west of Scotland was appalling practically every day around that period and I didn't want to risk a 1,000 mile round trip for nothing.
ScottD

Post by ScottD »

Tell me about it!
The day that I went to Glasdrum it rained & although we did see a few butterflies none were CS.
We also ran into the Reserve Manager & at that point he hadn't seen any for a week or so either.
EricY

Post by EricY »

Hope Scotland can provide at least one dry sunny day at end of May, as I will be driving up on 26th to spend a week in the Highlands gambling on one bright day to dash across for the CS's around Ft William area. If not I will never leave Norfolk again! lol. Eric
essexbuzzard

Post by essexbuzzard »

It may supprise many people living in England and Wales but in fact the weather is, more often than not, better in west Scotland in May than at any other time of year. This is because anticyclones (high preassure systems) often dominate,with east winds bringing the familiar 'harr' to east coast. But this is broken up by the Cairngorms etc, leaving glorious sunshine in the west. 8) 2011 was a notable exception, however,with wet westerlies throughout.
I have been there twice in the last few years,always in CS season,and have been blessed with good,sunny weather throughout-and very few midges! :)
So take heart!
The CS season seems variable,depending on the warmth of the spring here,which can be a world away from that in southern England.
However,the last week in May,or the very begining of June,is probably most favorable,in my experiance.
Regards,Mark.
ScottD

Post by ScottD »

I see from BC email newsletter 69 received today that they hope to have a full CS site survey this year so the more of you that come to visit & help the better! :)

Return to “Sites”