Mark Colvin

This forum contains a topic per member, each representing a personal diary.
Mark Colvin

Re: Mark Colvin

Post by Mark Colvin »

Dear Lee and Neil,

Thanks for your very kind comments. They are genuinely very much appreciated after the hard work and effort that goes into getting the pictures ... though I have to say I do like being out there!
Lee Hurrell wrote:Lovely pictures once again Mark. I love the stoat picture, it looks typically quizzical and is lovely to see surrounded by flowers like that. Also, that second Comma image is a stunner!
nfreem wrote:Good to see you have been getting out and getting some good shots, its not been too good round here lately, either rain or wind or both. I love the photo of the Stoat and the Comma shots have a real Autumnal look to them.
I was very pleased with the Stoat picture also and certainly agree that the Comma shots have an Autumnal feel about them, though I have to say I am desperately trying to hang onto the Summer!

Good hunting.

Kind regards. Mark

Diary entries for 2011 have been archived. If there are missing images in this post, then they can be found in this archive if one exists. All archives can be found here.
Mark Colvin

Post by Mark Colvin »

Kithurst Hill, 7 September 2011

Visiting a client in Wimbledon first thing meant my arrival at Kithurst Hill was delayed until 11.30am. That said, the weather conditions early on weren’t great with extensive cloud cover and the temperature in the region of 13°C. Rain was also in the air. Upon arrival at Kithurst Hill the temperature had fortunately risen and blue sky was visible with the sun peering through the clouds.

I entered the meadow through the main gate and decided to head east for a change and was very pleased that I did, as the distinctive flight of a large Nymphalid turned out to be a female Peacock, only the second I have seen all season. She allowed me to take several shots before moving on. Numerous Small White were busy in the main meadow and most adjoining areas, with the occasional Green-veined White showing for good measure. A single male Small Copper landed briefly near by and then disappeared in a flash. A female Meadow Brown, in surprisingly good condition, was also seen but wouldn’t sit for a photograph other than down amongst the grass.

My prize was yet to come …

I decided to check out the Hemp agrimony (Eupatorium cannabinum) for Painted Lady as one had been seen and photographed at the weekend. Sadly, none were to be found. In fact the Hemp agrimony was surprisingly lacking in nectaring butterflies. I carried on nevertheless and suddenly a glint of deep orange-yellow lifted from the grass I was walking through and rose into the air ... a female Clouded Yellow, quite distinctive in flight with her black wing margins broken by yellow spotting and confirmed later when photographed. After her initial flight when disturbed, she appeared quite tired and somewhat reluctant to fly though in reasonable condition. My thoughts wondered as to whether she might be a recent arrival from across the channel? My photos over she lifted into the air once again and flew across the track landing somewhere amongst the Hemp agrimony. Despite looking several times, I never saw her again.

Species seen included:

Small White
Green-veined White
Clouded Yellow
Red Admiral
Peacock
Small Copper
Meadow Brown
Speckled Wood
Clouded Yellow (female), Kithurst Hill (7 September 2011)

Diary entries for 2011 have been archived. If there are missing images in this post, then they can be found in this archive if one exists. All archives can be found here.
Mark Colvin

Post by Mark Colvin »

Friday, 9 September 2011

With the weather somewhat overcast I spent much of today undertaking repairs to a rabbit proof fence. By mid afternoon, job completed, I headed south towards Warnham and more specifically the Local Nature Reserve managed by Horsham District Council and its team of Wardens.

The 92 acre site was designated a Local Nature Reserve in 1988. It includes a 17-acre millpond, marshes, grassland, reedbeds, hedges and woodlands. The site provides a haven for a variety of wildlife with over 400 species of plant, 100 species of bird and over 21 species of dragonfly having been recorded. It also boasts its own heronry. I took a brief walk around a small part of the reserve with little in the way of butterflies on the wing, though I did record several male Speckled Wood staking their claims to the rich harvest of blackberries. A single male Green-veined White was also seen. I was pleased to see a Spotted Flycatcher near to the main hide.

At home, earlier in the day, I recorded a beautiful 2nd generation specimen of The Snout (Hypena proboscidalis) and a single and somewhat dishevelled male Red Admiral sitting on my bedroom window frame.

With the weather looking rather inclement for the weekend I’m looking forward to an improvement early next week … fingers crossed!
Speckled Wood (male), Warnham LNR (9 September 2011)
Speckled Wood (male), Warnham LNR (9 September 2011)

ChrisC

Post by ChrisC »

lovely clouded yellow shots.

Chris

Susie

Post by Susie »

Hey, Mark, Warnham is my local reserve and only a mile or so from where I live. :-) the best spot for butterflies tends to be the woodland ride at the far end of the reserve.

Mark Colvin

Post by Mark Colvin »

Hi Chris,

Thanks. I'm glad you like them.
ChrisC wrote:lovely clouded yellow shots
I've been looking for a Clouded Yellow for some time so was really pleased when I found this one.

Good hunting.

Kind regards. Mark

Mark Colvin

Post by Mark Colvin »

Hi Susie,

Thanks for your message.

I had a feeling you lived in the area what with your Southwater Woods and Denbies posts. I really like Warnham LNR as its very compact and has a lot to offer if time is short. My friend is one of the Wardens and my daughter goes to school just outside of Horsham, so its very convenient. I'll certainly keep an eye out for you in the future, though I have to say if I'd of seen an attractive blond, with a camera AND interested in insects I'm sure we'd have spoken already! :wink:

Hope to bump into you soon.

Good hunting.

Kind regards. Mark

Mark Colvin

Post by Mark Colvin »

Plaistow, 10 September 2011

A single specimen of the Silver Y (Autographa gamma) found in my bathroom this morning.
Silver Y (Autographa gamma), Plaistow (10 September 2011)
Silver Y (Autographa gamma), Plaistow (10 September 2011)

Susie

Post by Susie »

Hi Mark, I used to go to Warnham NR a lot when I first moved here and Sam Bayley was the warden but have only been there a few times in the last year or so. It is a good spot, but there are just so many nice places round here to visit, we are very fortunate. It would be nice to bump into you too. If you don't mind my asking, what age is your daughter?

Oh, and cracking photos, btw. I really enjoy reading your diary. :D

Mark Colvin

Post by Mark Colvin »

Pulborough Brooks, 11 September 2011

I wasn’t sure if I would get out today but when the opportunity arose I took it without question.

I arrived at Pulborough Brooks with my son at around 2pm. To say it was windy would be an understatement! The remains of Hurricane Katia had certainly travelled the Atlantic and reached West Sussex. Storm clouds threatened and fought overhead in a battle of supremacy, the sun occasionally daring to show its face. In the rare but welcomed lulls it was warm with the temperature around 20°C.

Passing a Small Tortoiseshell nectaring on fleabane (or was he just hanging on for his life?), we first headed to West Mead Hide where several Ruff and a solitary Green Sandpiper were feeding in the scrape. Heading towards Winpenny Hide we came across what was probably the largest toadstool I have ever seen. I’m no toadstool expert but believe this was a specimen of the Parasol Mushroom (Macrolepiota procera). It was approximately 28cm across the cap and stood at least the same and more in height. I took several pictures in the bright and windy conditions.

By now we had only seen two Small White, both trying to hunker down out of the wind. We walked on and saw three Green-veined White all looking rather tired. By the time we reached the track leading down to Nettley’s Hide our spirits were lifted as there is a small sheltered area still containing fleabane and ragwort flowers and the remaining fruits of the blackberries. A male Small Copper was our first find … a little worn and tatty but nevertheless a welcome prize. In its prime an ab. caeruleo-punctata, the blue spotting just showing on the hind wings. Five specimens of the Comma were found feasting on the remaining blackberry fruits along with several Speckled Wood. A single female Meadow Brown was seen nearby.

All in all a very pleasant, though blustery three hour visit during which I was surprised to get any pictures at all ... certainly no prize winners today!

Species seen included:

Small White
Green-veined White
Small Tortoiseshell
Comma
Small Copper
Meadow Brown
Speckled Wood
Parasol Mushroom (Macrolepiota procera), Pulborough Brooks (11 September 2011)
Parasol Mushroom (Macrolepiota procera), Pulborough Brooks (11 September 2011)

Lee Hurrell
Stock Contributor
Stock Contributor

Post by Lee Hurrell »

Mark Colvin wrote: Storm clouds threatened and fought overhead in a battle of supremacy, the sun occasionally daring to show its face. In the rare but welcomed lulls it was warm...
Very poetic, Mark!

No pixies under the toadstool? :wink:

Cheers

Lee
Last edited by Lee Hurrell on Mon Sep 12, 2011 11:56 am, edited 1 time in total.

To butterfly meadows, chalk downlands and leafy glades; to summers eternal.
Mark Colvin

Post by Mark Colvin »

Hi Lee,
Lee Hurrell wrote:No pixies under the toadstool?
Along with the fairies they wouldn't keep still for a picture! :wink:

Kind regards. Mark

Mark Colvin

Post by Mark Colvin »

Pulborough Brooks, 11 September 2011

Up to his armpits in brambles photographing a Comma, covered in flies and with a Common Darter on his arm … that’s my boy!

Proud dad or what ...
UKBJC1.jpg

Mark Colvin

Post by Mark Colvin »

Kithurst Hill, 13 September 2011

I blew out my early plan of a trip to Pagham Harbour due to the continuing strong winds and ventured once again to the sheltered seclusion of Kithurst Hill. With the exception of the wind, conditions were good. The sky was blue with frequent cumulus racing through. It was humid and the temperature was around 18°C.

My target, a Painted Lady …

Today the site was alive. Red Admiral were everywhere, many in pristine condition having undoubtedly recently emerged … the Hemp agrimony being drained of its nectar. To estimate numbers was difficult, though I don’t believe a number between 25 and 30 would be an over exaggeration, there were probably considerably more. They were by far the most abundant species. A single Small Tortoiseshell and several Comma were also seen.

Further investigation revealed my prize …

As I continued walking above the main bank of Hemp agrimony a large flying Nymphalid caught my eye. Its distinctive tawny-orange upperside marked with black confirmed my prize, a Painted Lady in perfect condition. My first this season. Having lost sight of my prize I rang Neil (Sussex Kipper) to let him know of my find and to see if he wanted to pop over. Whilst in discussion it appeared once again. Hanging up rather rapidly I followed in anticipation. Though mobile, it settled briefly in a couple of areas allowing me to take several photographs. Neil appeared shortly afterwards and within 5 minutes the clouds had opened the blue sky gone … thanks Neil! Fortunately short lived, the rain passed by on its journey eastwards and blue sky and sunshine lit up the meadow once again. Discussion turned to everything Lepidopterous once more.

Numerous Small White, several Green-veined White along with good numbers of Speckled Wood were generally distributed. A single female Meadow Brown was seen flying nearby. A Silver Y (Autographa gamma) and a Hummingbird Hawk-moth (Macroglossum stellatarum) were also seen and photographed.

Anyone who thinks the season is over must be staying indoors!

Species seen included:

Small White
Green-veined White
Small Tortoiseshell
Red Admiral
Painted Lady
Comma
Meadow Brown
Speckled Wood
Painted Lady, Kithurst Hill (13 September 2011)
Painted Lady, Kithurst Hill (13 September 2011)
Comma, Kithurst Hill (13 September 2011)
Comma, Kithurst Hill (13 September 2011)
Red Admiral, Kithurst Hill (13 September 2011)
Red Admiral, Kithurst Hill (13 September 2011)

Mark Colvin

Post by Mark Colvin »

Kithurst Hill, 14 September 2011 – Part 1

I revisited Kithurst Hill today after the fabulous time I spent there yesterday ... it didn’t disappoint!

I visited earlier than yesterday. Upon arrival a slight chill was in the air, though conditions soon warmed to a repeat of yesterday.

Once again Red Admiral were everywhere. They were still by far the most abundant species. A single Small Tortoiseshell was once again seen nectaring around the bowl and several Comma were seen around the western perimeter. The Painted Lady seen previously did not appear. Yesterday, Neil managed to find and photograph a beautiful Peacock … today she was mine. I say she though in reality I believe a small male. I was allowed the privilege to take a number of photographs before saying my farewells and thanks.

Small White, Green-veined White along with good numbers of Speckled Wood were also found. Several female Meadow Brown were seen in the meadow along with a surprise, single Small Heath.

However, my real prize was yet to come …

Species seen included:

Small White
Green-veined White
Small Tortoiseshell
Red Admiral
Peacock
Comma
Small Heath
Meadow Brown
Speckled Wood
Peacock, Kithurst Hill (14 September 2011)
Peacock, Kithurst Hill (14 September 2011)
Red Admiral, Kithurst Hill (14 September 2011)
Red Admiral, Kithurst Hill (14 September 2011)

Mark Colvin

Post by Mark Colvin »

Kithurst Hill, 14 September 2011 – Part 2

My real prize was yet to come …

As you approach Kithurst Hill and prior to reaching the main parking area you pass an elevated road bank. It was approaching midday and as I was walking along the top of the bank heading down the hill a small brown butterfly in flight caught my eye, which at first I thought to be another Speckled Wood. How wrong I was as she landed on a nearby tree and opened her wings … a female Brown Hairstreak!

She was a little tatty but a great sighting for the time of year and venue. I managed a quick shot before she took flight and headed back towards the canopy and her hiding place amongst the trees. Not a prizewinning picture but not bad considering I was holding the camera at arms length above my head!

I immediately rang Neil aka the ‘Brown Hairstreak Whisperer’ and informed him of my find. He writes:

“Brown Hairstreak adults have only been sighted once at Kithurst, with a battered, late season male being seen on the Hemp agrimony at the top of the road bank a few years ago. I have found eggs nearby in very low numbers. This appears to be a typical pattern within a low-density, metapopulated area and you might wait another five years to see a Brown Hairstreak butterfly there again!”

A great ending to another great session ...
Brown Hairstreak (female), Kithurst Hill (14 September 2011)
Brown Hairstreak (female), Kithurst Hill (14 September 2011)

dilettante

Post by dilettante »

I'm envious of the Brown Hairstreak, but wanted to say the nymphalid photos are great, especially the comma and the PL - lovely diffuse lighting on pristine specimens.

Mark Colvin

Post by Mark Colvin »

Hi Dilettante,

Many thanks for your kind comments. Its always good to get positive feedback particularly after the effort that goes in to getting the shots.
dilettante wrote:I'm envious of the Brown Hairstreak, but wanted to say the nymphalid photos are great, especially the comma and the PL - lovely diffuse lighting on pristine specimens.
Regarding the Brown Hairstreak, I spent most of August being envious of many of the fabulous sightings being recorded and pictures being posted. Although I have seen a reasonable number flying at high level, this was the very first specimen I have seen low enough to photograph. It certainly put a big smile on my face ...

Thanks again.

Kind regards. Mark

Mark Colvin

Post by Mark Colvin »

Chantry Hill, 15 September 2011

A report of a Clouded Yellow seen yesterday at Chantry Hill was enough to persuade me to deviate off route to take a look for myself.

For those that don’t know, Chantry Hill sits due east of Kithurst Hill and to the south of the town of Storrington in West Sussex. It is a popular outdoor recreation area providing fabulous views of the Sussex countryside. On a clear day the Isle of Wight can be seen. The car park at Chantry Hill is situated off the A283 Washington to Storrington road 2 miles from the Washington roundabout and accessed via Chantry Lane on the left. A short way back down the lane from the car park there is a public bridleway heading in a westerly direction. This is north of the South Downs Way, which runs through the car park. Passing through the gate and heading up the track the path turns to the right near the summit and begins its descent close to the Late Bronze Age cross dyke. This whole area is generally good for butterflies and as the path descends more shelter is provided and it improves further.

Today the slopes were the most delicate shade of blue-purple due to their covering of Devil's-bit Scabious (Succisa pratensis), Greater Knapweed (Centaurea scabiosa) and Harebell (Campanula rotundifolia). The blue sky adding to the overall impact.

Earlier in the year this was the haunt of the Silver-spotted Skipper though none were seen today. Red Admiral were generally scattered in reasonable numbers, though not to the extent of nearby Kithurst Hill. A single male Painted Lady was seen and a record shot taken after a great deal of effort … those hills are steep! Other species observed included several Small White and a single male Large White along with numerous Meadow Brown, including a pair in copula. A surprise female Gatekeeper was also found.

The Clouded Yellow eluded me …

Species seen included:

Small White
Large White
Small Copper
Small Tortoiseshell
Red Admiral
Painted Lady
Gatekeeper
Small Heath
Meadow Brown
Chantry Hill - Looking East (15 September 2011)
Chantry Hill - Looking East (15 September 2011)

Lee Hurrell
Stock Contributor
Stock Contributor

Post by Lee Hurrell »

Congrats on your Brown Hairstreak, Mark - at last!

Lovely Nymphalid photos and the Chantry Hill picture is stunning.

Cheers

Lee

To butterfly meadows, chalk downlands and leafy glades; to summers eternal.

Return to “Personal Diaries”