Susie

This forum contains a topic per member, each representing a personal diary.
Susie

Re: Susie

Post by Susie »

Oh, and I forgot to mention, a friend yesterday sent me a photo to id via Facebook that her children had found on Tuesday in Goring. It was a female Convolvulos hawkmoth, a real beauty. :D

Diary entries for 2011 have been archived. If there are missing images in this post, then they can be found in this archive if one exists. All archives can be found here.
Susie

Post by Susie »

307832_10150429311657786_800637785_11000638_5180344_n.jpg
Sunset over Chanctonbury Ring this evening.
Cissbury-ring.jpg

Diary entries for 2011 have been archived. If there are missing images in this post, then they can be found in this archive if one exists. All archives can be found here.
Lee Hurrell
Stock Contributor
Stock Contributor

Post by Lee Hurrell »

Lovely sunsets, Susie :D

Cheers

Lee

To butterfly meadows, chalk downlands and leafy glades; to summers eternal.
Susie

Post by Susie »

Thanks, Lee :-)

Susie

Post by Susie »

I've been mucking about with photoshop
295995_10150362538106972_584286971_9848587_2570930_n.jpg
I saw a few speckled woods and small whites around Slinfold today.

Susie

Post by Susie »

swallowtail-1.jpg

ChrisC

Post by ChrisC »

home grown? would be a hell of a garden record for sussex. Lovely photo too

Chris

edit: doh. just saw the other thread viewtopic.php?f=16&t=5766
Last edited by ChrisC on Mon Oct 03, 2011 5:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.

MikeOxon

Post by MikeOxon »

Lovely pic. So pleased you spotted it emerging in time!

Mike

David M

Post by David M »

What's the story behind the Swallowtail, Susie?

Susie

Post by Susie »

I bought some pupae on Saturday at the AES Exhibition. One of them hatched late last night, three more to go. Hopefully there'll be at least one female amongst them.

The one in the picture is living in my kitchen/diner at the moment and feeding on buddliea in a vase.

Mark Colvin

Post by Mark Colvin »

I was hoping we might see a picture.

Very nice. :mrgreen:

Kind regards. Mark

Susie

Post by Susie »

I always say that I'm not going to buy anything there but I always end up with something.

Susie

Post by Susie »

Apart from the swallowtail here today there were also red admirals in the garden feeding on ripe grapes on the grape vine and small whites. A quick walk around warnham nr this morning produced quite a few dragonflies.

Padfield
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Padfield »

Your swallowtail has a very narrow submarginal band, with parallel sides. Did they sell it as British swallowtail or the continental subspecies?

Guy

Guy's Butterflies: https://www.guypadfield.com
The Butterflies of Villars-Gryon : https://www.guypadfield.com/villarsgryonbook.html
Susie

Post by Susie »

Continental I think. TBH I dont actually remember, I think it just said Swallowtail and the caterpillars could be fed on fennel, so I assumed it was continental.

What type is it, Guy (fount of all knowledge that you are :D ) if you don't mind my asking?

David M

Post by David M »

Susie wrote:I bought some pupae on Saturday at the AES Exhibition. One of them hatched late last night, three more to go. Hopefully there'll be at least one female amongst them.

The one in the picture is living in my kitchen/diner at the moment and feeding on buddliea in a vase.
What are you going to do with them?

Susie

Post by Susie »

David M wrote:
Susie wrote:I bought some pupae on Saturday at the AES Exhibition. One of them hatched late last night, three more to go. Hopefully there'll be at least one female amongst them.

What are you going to do with them?
Show them the countryside, visit a few pubs, a bit of fine dining and a show .... :wink:

I'm thinking that I'll let them live in my kitchen for now and hopefully they will breed. I have fennel as a food plant and netted containers for later when the caterpillars are about if I am that lucky. :D I am sure it is not the same as being in the wild for them but that was never an option. At least here they have a large space to fly and it is light and airy. It could be worse.

Gibster

Post by Gibster »

Susie wrote:Continental I think.
I don't think it would go down too well if British Swallowtails were being sold to all and sundry at the AES. They have a certain levels of protection, and there's the 1981 Wildlife Acts...

Gibster.

Raising £10,000 for Butterfly Conservation by WALKING 1200 miles from Land's End to John O'Groats!!!
See http://www.justgiving.com/epicbutterflywalk or look up Epic Butterfly Walk on Facebook.
David M

Post by David M »

What if they're all the same sex?

Padfield
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Padfield »

It looks like continental swallowtail to me, too, Susie, hence my question. Perhaps they're easier to rear than British swallowtails, taking a much wider range of foodplants. And, as Gibster says, it would perhaps be inappropriate to sell British swallowtails willy nilly at an event like that, though I know British swallowtails are quite widely bred.

Guy

Guy's Butterflies: https://www.guypadfield.com
The Butterflies of Villars-Gryon : https://www.guypadfield.com/villarsgryonbook.html

Return to “Personal Diaries”