July 2011 Competition

This is a forum for, primarily, monthly (or so!) photographic competitions that complement the annual competition.
MikeOxon

Re: July 2011 Competition

Post by MikeOxon »

FISHiEE wrote:A great photo is 30% field craft, 10% camera craft, 10% computer craft, 50% luck
I agree with you about sharpening - we had a useful discussion under the 'photography' thread. If you shoot jpegs, most cameras apply sharpening automatically but the problem comes when you re-size for web submission. As we discussed before, additional sharpening then becomes necessary. If you use RAW, you are on your own from the start.

Because I enjoy messing about with images, I would give a higher proportion to computer craft. The overall balance of a photo is rarely ideal straight out of the camera and I often do a lot of 'dodging and burning' to get a pleasing image - and, for me, that is what photography is about! I must say it quietly here but photography is my first passion and butterflies are just one of my favourite subjects.

Of course, it can go too far for many and the following image of an Adonis Blue would break the competition rules, though I think is is a nice pic.
Adonis Blue - Mehdi kaleidoscope filter in Photoshop
Adonis Blue - Mehdi kaleidoscope filter in Photoshop
Mike
NickB

Re: July 2011 Competition

Post by NickB »

I can only agree with Mike and John.
The darkroom process of the past has been made easier by use of the digital darkroom we now have (and a lot more too!) - the terms used are the same.........

......And even in JPEG it is possible to save an underexposed shot in Photoshop...a tricky one as the white of the flower is well exposed....
from this...
BA_4a_low_3rd_May_2011 copy.jpg
to this.....
BA_4_low_3rd_May_2011.jpg
:)
And all in 5 mins, as John says. These are useful skills to pick-up; it is NOT rocket science! (Else how would I cope :lol: )
On-line tutorials, books and courses are worth looking into for those who are inclined....
N
"Conservation starts in small places, close to home..."

Return to “Competitions”