Mark Colvin

This forum contains a topic per member, each representing a personal diary.
ChrisC

Re: Mark Colvin

Post by ChrisC »

i do like the texture detail in the skipper. very nice indeed.

Chris

Diary entries for 2011 have been archived. If there are missing images in this post, then they can be found in this archive if one exists. All archives can be found here.
Mark Colvin

Post by Mark Colvin »

Thanks Chris,
ChrisC wrote:i do like the texture detail in the skipper. very nice indeed.
I'm glad you like the shot.

I didn't expect to get anything this afternoon as I had very little time and it was really windy on the hill. I just kept clicking away and kept my fingers crossed!

Good hunting.

Kind regards. Mark

Diary entries for 2011 have been archived. If there are missing images in this post, then they can be found in this archive if one exists. All archives can be found here.
Mark Colvin

Post by Mark Colvin »

Tuesday, 23 August 2011

As my last posting on ‘Bathroom Entomology’ (or how many different moths can you catch in your bathroom overnight) was on Thursday, 4 August, I thought a brief update was appropriate.

In all fairness things have been very quiet, particularly on the larger moth front. I have had a reasonable number of different microlepidoptera pass through but at this time I am not really planning to photograph them, despite some of them being quite beautiful little gems. That said, one moth that has been regularly turning up is the common grassland species Agriphila tristella which has been coming readily to light.
Agriphila tristella, Plaistow (23 August 2011)
Agriphila tristella, Plaistow (23 August 2011)

Neil Freeman

Post by Neil Freeman »

Hi Mark,

I like the series of GV White shots earlier.
I think that this is one species that is often overlooked in our quests for more elusive quarry and yet it has a delicate beauty all of its own.

Cheers,

Neil F.

Mark Colvin

Post by Mark Colvin »

Hi Neil,

Thanks for your comments. I'm glad you like the shots.
nfreem wrote:I like the series of GV White shots earlier. I think that this is one species that is often overlooked in our quests for more elusive quarry and yet it has a delicate beauty all of its own.
I couldn't agree more with you and I have to be honest I didn't set out to photograph them.

Good hunting.

Kind regards. Mark

Mark Colvin

Post by Mark Colvin »

Mill Hill, 24 August 2011

An early start saw me setting off in cloud and light drizzle with the ground wet underfoot ... not a good start! However, by the time I’d reached my destination traces of blue were showing through and by 9.30am the sun was out.

My first 45 minutes or so (under a cloud covered sky) was spent looking for roosting Adonis Blue. No matter how hard I looked I didn’t find any. As soon as the sun appeared they were suddenly everywhere, the males basking with their wings open like living sapphires glistening in the grass on the lower slopes. The females were slightly harder to find though once located were found in good numbers with many seen ovipositing. The males, visually outnumbering the females, were continuously on the move. Although extensive mating behaviour was observed I failed to find any joined in copulation. With the exception of numerous record shots I failed to get the image I wanted. Small Heath and Meadow Brown were also found in good numbers with a pair of the former found in copulation. A single Treble-bar (Aplocera plagiata) was also found.

It seems rather strange, I spend the morning looking at bright blue butterflies and end up posting pictures of two brown butterflies and a grey moth!

I’ll have to go back for the Adonis shots …

Species seen included:

Red Admiral
Adonis Blue
Chalkhill Blue
Small Heath
Meadow Brown
Copulating Small Heath, Mill Hill (24 August 2011)
Copulating Small Heath, Mill Hill (24 August 2011)
Treble-bar (Aplocera plagiata), Mill Hill (24 August 2011)
Treble-bar (Aplocera plagiata), Mill Hill (24 August 2011)

Nick Broomer

Post by Nick Broomer »

hi Mark

great pictures of S.S.S., newcomer hideandseek

Mark Colvin

Post by Mark Colvin »

Thanks and welcome to the forum.
hideandseek wrote:Great pictures of S.S.S
Good hunting.

Kind regards. Mark

Mark Colvin

Post by Mark Colvin »

Mill Hill, 25 August 2011

Low grey cloud and frequent showers was the order of the morning at Mill Hill. I arrived early and finally gave up when the wind and rain didn’t at about 10.45am.

I was hoping to find Adonis Blue roosting and sheltering out of reach from the weather. I sadly didn’t find any and if anyone knows the site I would appreciate any tips as to where I might find them at Mill Hill. When I visited the site yesterday they suddenly appeared out of thin air the second the sun came out … maybe I’ve just got bad eyesight! In the way of butterflies only Meadow Brown and a few Small Heath were occasionally on the wing.

Moths were a little more forthcoming and I saw several Treble-bar (Aplocera plagiata), a single specimen of the beautiful little Pyrausta aurata and a fabulous final instar larva of the Privet Hawk-moth (Sphinx ligustri).

Species seen included:

Small Heath
Meadow Brown
Privet Hawk-moth (Sphinx ligustri) Larva, Mill Hill (25 August 2011)
Privet Hawk-moth (Sphinx ligustri) Larva, Mill Hill (25 August 2011)

Mark Colvin

Post by Mark Colvin »

Plaistow, 25 August 2011

A single specimen of the Garden Pebble (Evergestis forficalis) came to my bathroom light last night.
Garden Pebble (Evergestis forficalis), Plaistow (25 August 2011)
Garden Pebble (Evergestis forficalis), Plaistow (25 August 2011)

Mark Colvin

Post by Mark Colvin »

Pulborough Brooks, 25 August 2011

After visiting a client nearby, I popped into Pulborough Brooks RSPB Reserve early this afternoon due to recent reports of a Wryneck and the possibility of a Brown Hairstreak (a fresh female was seen and photographed on the reserve yesterday). The Wryneck didn’t show, at least not for me but I did manage to find a single Brown Hairstreak flying around the canopy of one of the master trees. I must wear the wrong aftershave, as I can’t seem to find them at ground level. Any tips on a suitable brand would be much appreciated!

An obliging and slightly tired Small Copper and a pair of Meadow Brown in copulation were also observed.

Species seen included:

Red Admiral
Holly Blue
Common Blue
Small Copper
Brown Hairstreak
Small White
Meadow Brown
Speckled Wood
Small Copper (male), Pulborough Brooks (25 August 2011)
Small Copper (male), Pulborough Brooks (25 August 2011)

John W

Post by John W »

Mark Colvin wrote: After visiting a client nearby, I popped into Pulborough Brooks RSPB Reserve early this afternoon due to recent reports of a Wryneck and the possibility of a Brown Hairstreak (a fresh female was seen and photographed on the reserve yesterday). The Wryneck didn’t show, at least not for me but I did manage to find a single Brown Hairstreak flying around the canopy of one of the master trees. I must wear the wrong aftershave, as I can’t seem to find them at ground level. Any tips on a suitable brand would be much appreciated!
Mark, you just need to be with Sussex Kipper, the Brown Hairstreak whisperer :-)

Mark Colvin

Post by Mark Colvin »

Hi John,
John W wrote:you just need to be with Sussex Kipper, the Brown Hairstreak whisperer
Your not kidding ... I wonder if it could be bottled?

Good hunting.

Kind regards. Mark

Mark Colvin

Post by Mark Colvin »

Plaistow, 26 August 2011

A single specimen of the Common Wave (Cabera exanthemata) came to my bathroom light last night.
Common Wave (Cabera exanthemata), Plaistow (26 August 2011)
Common Wave (Cabera exanthemata), Plaistow (26 August 2011)
Last edited by Mark Colvin on Sat Aug 27, 2011 8:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Mark Colvin

Post by Mark Colvin »

Wiggonholt, 27 August 2011

With an hour or so to spare this afternoon I decided to pop over to the small hamlet of Wiggonholt, which is conveniently located next to Pulborough Brooks RSPB Reserve. There is a public footpath, which runs from the reserve car park to Wiggonholt Farm and the beautiful 13th century church. After emerging from the small wooded area a clearing, comprising of bramble, grasses and ragwort, appears to the left of the track before descending down a small hill to a pond and church beyond.

My son and I arrived some thirty minutes or so after a heavy downpour, in which we had earlier got a soaking on a very wet, windy and unproductive Chantry Hill. The sun was out and after a very short period of time we managed to find a Small Copper drying its wings whilst perched on a stem of grass. The Small Copper is one of my favourite butterflies and we were lucky enough to see at least five, possibly six, separate individuals all jousting for prime territory. Two male Common Blue added to the colour of the afternoon's proceedings.

To obtain a feel for the environment, I have posted this set of pictures un-cropped.

Species seen included:

Small White
Small Copper
Common Blue
Small Copper (female), Wiggonholt (27 August 2011)
Common Blue (male), Wiggonholt (27 August 2011)

Mark Colvin

Post by Mark Colvin »

Wiggonholt, 27 August 2011

Further to my last report, when I visited Wiggonholt with my son James, I have managed to sort through his photographs with him … which includes one very dodgy looking character in action. He caught me unawares with that one!

I hope you like his pictures and I really hope that getting close and personal with the creatures that I am passionate about gives him the same peace of mind that they give me.
Less said about this photo the better ... though note the good looks!
Less said about this photo the better ... though note the good looks!

Gibster

Post by Gibster »

What's this?!? You mean to say you don't even have compound eyes?!? :P

Gibster.

Raising £10,000 for Butterfly Conservation by WALKING 1200 miles from Land's End to John O'Groats!!!
See http://www.justgiving.com/epicbutterflywalk or look up Epic Butterfly Walk on Facebook.
Neil Freeman

Post by Neil Freeman »

Nice reports and photos Mark.

It looks as if your son is developing all the necessary skills required, particularly that of getting the shot without disturbing the subject :lol:

Cheers,

Neil.

Mark Colvin

Post by Mark Colvin »

Hi Gibster,

Sorry to disappoint you.
Gibster wrote:What's this?!? You mean to say you don't even have compound eyes?!?
I have enough trouble seeing with the ones I've got let alone compound eyes!

Good hunting.

Kind regards. Mark

Mark Colvin

Post by Mark Colvin »

Hi Neil,

Thanks for your comments.
nfreem wrote:Nice reports and photos Mark. It looks as if your son is developing all the necessary skills required, particularly that of getting the shot without disturbing the subject.
I really hope my son's interest continues as it gives me great pleasure being out with him and seeing him enthused by the things which mean so much to me.

Good hunting.

Kind regards. Mark

Return to “Personal Diaries”