Birdfair

Discussion forum for field trips and any other events.
Paul Wetton

Re: Birdfair

Post by Paul Wetton »

Hi Hugh

I was informed someone was asking after me. Hung around as much as possible but felt the need to have a look at holiday destinations for next year. I'm hungering over Bulgaria at the moment after speaking to the British Bulgarian Friendship Society (BBFS) and listening to a talk given by Nich Greatorex-Davis from BBFS. Seems it may be possible to see up to 150 species in Bulgaria in around two weeks including some near endemics to Bulgaria. I'll need to get planning as soon as I've completed my DVD's from my Swiss trip this year.

All the best.
Cheers Paul

Post by Rogerdodge »

listening to a talk given by Nich Greatorex-Davis from BBFS
Paul
I was in that talk too. Fascinating. I think a lot of the old eastern bloc is well worth visiting before the EU throw huge amounts of cash at them to over-produce and use pesticides, nitrates etc., and generally bu**er up the traditional agricultural methods that have created such a rich diversity of habitats and species.

In general the BirdFair was excellent. I was there for 2 1/2 days and spent a lot of time catching up with old friends, and attending the various lectures and presentations. It did seem a little quieter than last year, but that was no bad thing. At least you get a chance to see and do most things without silly queues.

I got "hands on" with the Sigma 150 Macro with Optical Stabilisation.
What a superb bit of kit. I took a handheld shot at 1:1 and at 1/100th sec., and zoomed right in to the centre where there was no discernible camera shake - extraordinary. If I drop enough hints (like I haven't already - "Look at this amazing lens", "Wow, no shake at all at 1/100th" etc.) then perhaps Santa will be kind. However, if that involves being a "good boy" then I have no hope at all :lol:

I think we need a UKB "T" Shirt. That way we can identify each other "in the field" and at places like BirdFair. What do you reckon Pete? Perhaps we could have a design competition over the winter?
Cheers

Roger
Paul Wetton

Post by Paul Wetton »

Good idea Roger, a UKB T shirt would be great. We could even have our UKB forum names added to them, although I may need to change mine from Paul Wetton to something a little more interesting.

I'm definitely up for a trip into the eastern bloc and Bulgaria has some interesting species to find. Hopefully next year I'll have the chance to go have a look.

Did anyone have a look at the Sony binoculars with build in photo / video camera. I didn't get chance but wondered if anyone had chance to look at the quality of these as Sony normally produce decent gear.
Cheers Paul

Post by Rogerdodge »

as Sony normally produce decent gear
Now go and wash your mouth out!
Cheers

Roger
Susie

Post by Susie »

Perhaps the team at UKbs could produce a tshirt logo that could be ironed on and sell this at events? That way they wouldnt need to invest in loads of stock in different sizes. Just a thought and I'd buy one. If this could be up and running by the AEs Exhibition that would be super.

Apologies for hijacking the thread.
Hugh Middleton

Post by Hugh Middleton »

Good idea Susie or even a simple badge. Problem at the Birdfair is identifying folk who belong to different groups.

Yes sorry to miss you Paul but only there on Friday and there is so much to see, so many folk to talk to and so much kit to drool over.

Next year perhaps.

Hugh
Pete Eeles
Administrator & Stock Contributor
Administrator & Stock Contributor

Post by Pete Eeles »

I was seriously thinking of baseball caps :)

But I'll certainly look into the practicalities over the winter - such as being able to "order on demand" given that I have no space to store clothing!

Anyway - you should be able to identify UKB members because they always have a smile on their face :)

Cheers,

- Pete
Life Cycles of British & Irish Butterflies: http://www.butterflylifecycles.com
British & Irish Butterflies Rarities: http://www.butterflyrarities.com
David M

Post by David M »

Pete Eeles wrote:I was seriously thinking of baseball caps :)
Nah, they get in the way of the camera.

A t-shirt is an excellent idea. How about a orange/brown one with a black logo to pull in the male Silver Washed Fritillaries?
Michaeljf

Post by Michaeljf »

Paul Wetton wrote:listening to a talk given by Nich Greatorex-Davis from BBFS. Seems it may be possible to see up to 150 species in Bulgaria in around two weeks including some near endemics to Bulgaria.
Hi Paul,
I hope you were taking notes and got some good contacts....any information you picked up could be helpful.. :wink:
Michael
Paul Wetton

Post by Paul Wetton »

Roger

Sony video cameras I was thinking of not still cameras. Washed my mouth out anyway.

Michael

I have contacts for the British Bulgarian Friendship Society and there are some good websites and trip reports for Bulgaria. I'm thinking of a minimum of 2 weeks (likely 15 days plus) in Bulgaria at the end of June beginning of July next year after Helen has completed her exams. I'll probably book this through the BBFS as a taylor-made package including flights, accomodation, guide and transport.
Not sure of the price yet but shouldn't be too much more than their butterfly trips advertised on their website. The trips are run for around 10 people.
I just didn't fancy 10 still photographers jumping in front of my filming gear to take shots of butterflies (no offence still photographers out there) so decided a taylor-made trip would be ideal. It would be a Bulgarian Guide but one who speaks English to help out and do the driving to the sites.

All the best.
Cheers Paul

Post by Susie »

David M wrote:

A t-shirt is an excellent idea. How about a orange/brown one with a black logo to pull in the male Silver Washed Fritillaries?
I still think t-shirts or badges are better.

Last Springwatch Chris Packham had various logos from his t-shirts online and you could down load and print off any you liked for free. I don't know how difficult it is to design and set up something like that (don't you just love people who come up with ideas and then leave someone else to work out all the difficult stuff :wink: ) but perhaps a printable UK Butterflies logo could be set up and people donate a fee for using it?
Susie

Post by Susie »

David M wrote:

I still think t-shirts or badges are better.

Last Springwatch Chris Packham had various logos from his t-shirts online and you could down load and print off any you liked for free. I don't know how difficult it is to design and set up something like that (don't you just love people who come up with ideas and then leave someone else to work out all the difficult stuff :wink: ) but perhaps a printable UK Butterflies logo could be set up and people donate a fee for using it?
Willrow

Post by Willrow »

Susie wrote:perhaps a printable UK Butterflies logo could be set up and people donate a fee for using it?
I'll second that Susie, especially cos' it came up twice :lol: I think it's a fine idea.

Bill :D
Why not visit my website at http://www.dragonfly-days.co.uk
Susie

Post by Susie »

Sorry, I must have a stutter. :P
FISHiEE

Post by FISHiEE »

Rogerdodge wrote: I got "hands on" with the Sigma 150 Macro with Optical Stabilisation.
What a superb bit of kit. I took a handheld shot at 1:1 and at 1/100th sec., and zoomed right in to the centre where there was no discernible camera shake - extraordinary. If I drop enough hints (like I haven't already - "Look at this amazing lens", "Wow, no shake at all at 1/100th" etc.) then perhaps Santa will be kind. However, if that involves being a "good boy" then I have no hope at all :lol:
As good as the latest canon 4 stop IS? I'd be pretty tempted if it was as good as that. I've seen what the canon 100 IS can do and it's mighty impressive!
Rogerdodge

Post by Rogerdodge »

As good as the latest canon 4 stop IS?
Sadly I can't comment on this. I didn't have time to do more than take a few pictures, and look at the zoomed image on the camera screen.
No scientific measurements or side-by-side comparisons I am afraid.
I was, however, mightily impressed with what I saw.
I personally like the extra working distance, and, thus, the associated "plainer" o.o.f. background (one of your trademarks FISHiEE).
The lens also felt really solidly built, and all the moving parts felt well engineered.
Cheers

Roger
FISHiEE

Post by FISHiEE »

I remember first time I tried my canon 70-200F4 IS I was amazed at how good the latest canon IS was compared the old IS on my 100-400. You could see the lens was so much more stable through the viewfinder. In fact I found it hard to get a slow enough shutter speed to see camera shake in the shots. The IS on the 100-400 seems kinda rubbish now in comparison. I am sure you know what I mean and wondered if you thought the IS on the Sigma 'felt' as good as the newer canon stuff?

I see you can buy them for around £850 online which is £100 less than I paid for the canon 70-200F4 IS I don't really use much! - bought ot to photograph car racing and haven't really been much since I got it! The range isn't much use to me for anything else... I am thinking of a plan :)
Rogerdodge

Post by Rogerdodge »

FISHiEE
I have experience of the Canon 100 with IS (thanks to Reverdin) and also I have the 100-400.
The stabilised image in the viewfinder of the Sigma 150 seemed as good as on the Canon 100, and much better than the 100-400 - but I haven't seen them side by side.
The price at the BirdFair was £810.
I am regretting not hauling out the plastic now..........

I like your cunning plan.
Cheers

Roger
FISHiEE

Post by FISHiEE »

OK sounds a good one then! :)

Return to “Field Trips and Events”