Small Tortoisehells

Discussion forum for sightings.
Dave R

Small Tortoisehells

Post by Dave R »

Is this a really bad year for Small Torts? I ask because I have seen plenty of Peacock & Red Admiral in my garden but in the last two months I would say I haven't seen a single ST.
Been on a couple of outings to Chambers Wood in Lincolnshire and didn't see one there either so was wondering what the general experience was countrywide?
RobS

Re: Small Tortoisehells

Post by RobS »

have been doing quite a lot of butterflying this month and ive only seen one.At Alice Holt (Straits Inclosure)

cheers
rob
Last edited by RobS on Thu Aug 11, 2011 2:38 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Under canvas. Just the wild woods for company.
David M

Post by David M »

I saw plenty early on in the year but I agree they've been scarce since May ended.
RobS

Post by RobS »

Just for the record i did see a second one this weekend on the South Downs near Graffham :D

cheers rob
Under canvas. Just the wild woods for company.
Essex Bertie

Post by Essex Bertie »

In central Essex a few weeks ago, I saw up to 30 along a riverbank where previously I've only seen ones and twos. But this hotspot seemed very local; maybe they managed to get ahead of their parasite somehow. A couple of branch sightings this weekend suggest the next brood could be underway.

Rob S
Dave McCormick

Post by Dave McCormick »

About a month ago I saw lots (in one small area I saw at least 17) so they are having a good year around my haunts in Co Down, its peacocks that are having a really bad year, saw one all year!
Cheers all,
My Website: My new website: http://daveslepidoptera.com/ - Last Update: 11/10/2011
My Nature videos: http://www.youtube.com/user/DynamixWarePro
Hugh Middleton

Post by Hugh Middleton »

David,

They do seem to be scarce here abouts. On 31st July there was a BC walk around Chambers. Four hours and 50+ pairs of eyes saw no ST. Saw one in the Butterfly Garden there this week and it was a fresh specimen.

Hugh
David M

Post by David M »

On the corresponding weekend last year, I visited West Williamston in Pembrokeshire and saw huge numbers of Small Tortoiseshells nectaring on the Sea Asters in the tidal zone. I intend to go back there this Sunday if the weather forecast is correct and if I see only a few (or even none) then I will readily conclude that this has been an atrocious year for them.
Dave McCormick

Post by Dave McCormick »

This probably isn't all the records but here are some reported ones for NI on Small Tort this year so far: http://www.bcni.org.uk/sightings.php?mo ... toiseshell
Cheers all,
My Website: My new website: http://daveslepidoptera.com/ - Last Update: 11/10/2011
My Nature videos: http://www.youtube.com/user/DynamixWarePro
A_T

Post by A_T »

I saw loads end of June/early July - but not so many recently.
essexbuzzard

Post by essexbuzzard »

I saw reasonable numbers up until late June in Essex,but very few since. They are between broods now,hopefully they will re emerge in September. Saw one at Hayle,Cornwall, last Sunday.
Cheers,Mark
Essex Bertie

Post by Essex Bertie »

Had 4 on transect today on the Blackwater estuary, Essex - double my previous best! Only a few, but all looked too pristine to be migrants and the next brood is definitely underway.
A_T

Post by A_T »

Started seeing quite few around in the last couple of days. Here's one on my prize ragwort :mrgreen:
Attachments
smalltragwort.JPG
Lee Hurrell
Stock Contributor
Stock Contributor

Post by Lee Hurrell »

I saw 8 on a big patch of Wild Thyme at Aston Rowant on Sunday - the most I have seen in one place since I was a kid! :D
Cheers

Lee
To butterfly meadows, chalk downlands and leafy glades; to summers eternal.

Return to “Sightings”