Mark Colvin

This forum contains a topic per member, each representing a personal diary.
Mark Colvin

Re: Mark Colvin

Post by Mark Colvin »

EricY wrote:the first copulating wood white photo is a classic with exceptional symetery, deserves a wider audience.
Thanks Eric,

That's very kind of you.

Kind regards. Mark

Diary entries for 2011 have been archived. If there are missing images in this post, then they can be found in this archive if one exists. All archives can be found here.
Mark Colvin

Post by Mark Colvin »

Thursday, 4 August 2011

Not being able to get out yesterday and with heavy rain forecast and arriving today, I needed a plan!

It’s been many years since I first dabbled with moths. The mid to late seventies and early eighties found me sugaring trees and lampposts, running a Robinson MV trap in the garden, a Heath Portable in more inaccessible locations and even the good old Tilley lamp and a white sheet in the middle of nowhere.

I clearly remember a fabulous evening whilst in the middle of Tilgate Forest (now a public golf course and divided by the M23). My friend and I were sitting watching the various moths and other invertebrates coming to our white sheet and Tilley lamp with the sound of churring nightjars in the background. It was getting late and the temperature was starting to drop when the silence was broken by the sound of a vehicle approaching in the distance (the M23 was in the process of being constructed at this time so vehicle noise was not expected). Lights soon appeared on the horizon. I seem to recall the Police being somewhat amused by what two sixteen year olds could possibly find entertaining about sitting in the middle of heathland on a warm evening catching moths. I recall being left to explain this to the Police whilst my friend continued to catch moths in the vehicle’s headlights! We were just asked to be very careful with the Tilley lamp and enjoy our evening.

Anyway, to my plan … ‘Bathroom Entomology’ … or how many different moths can you catch in your bathroom overnight.

It could catch on?

I’m a bit rusty on moth identification so I’m sticking to what I think I know (please correct me if I'm wrong) and leaving the little ‘brown jobbies’ for later!

Last night's catch as follows …
Purple Bar (Cosmorhoe ocellata), Plaistow (4 August 2011)
Purple Bar (Cosmorhoe ocellata), Plaistow (4 August 2011)
Yellow Shell (Camptogramma bilineata), Plaistow (4 August 2011)
Yellow Shell (Camptogramma bilineata), Plaistow (4 August 2011)
Willow Beauty (Peribatodes rhomboidaria), Plaistow (4 August 2011)
Willow Beauty (Peribatodes rhomboidaria), Plaistow (4 August 2011)

Diary entries for 2011 have been archived. If there are missing images in this post, then they can be found in this archive if one exists. All archives can be found here.
Mark Colvin

Post by Mark Colvin »

Friday, 5 August 2011

Today was spent in the company of my son and Neil Hulme (Sussex Kipper) searching for the illusive Brown Hairstreak at Steyning Rifle Range. Despite ideal habitat and weather conditions and a thorough search of all key areas, only two brief glimpses of fly past males were observed. Photographic opportunities were sadly not forthcoming. My thanks go to Neil for showing us around the site and for passing on those all important tips for success.

Species seen included:

Brown Hairstreak
Brown Argus
Holly Blue
Common Blue
Small Copper
Gatekeeper
Wall
Speckled Wood
Meadow Brown
Small Heath
Brimstone
Large Skipper
Red Admiral
Small Tortoiseshell

Mark Colvin

Post by Mark Colvin »

Oaken Wood, 6 August 2011

I arrived at Oaken Wood at around 3.45pm today. It was overcast but warm and a pleasant relief from standing in the burning heat of yesterday’s sunshine.

The site appeared quiet at first but after several minutes I found my first Wood White, a male. Further investigation along the main track revealed in the region of 10 males and 2 females resting in the undergrowth to the side of the track. As the sun started to peer through the clouds at around 5.30pm other Wood White began to show, particularly around the main clearing. I found no pairs in copula.

It was a short but welcome visit ... the ticks certainly seemed to appreciate me going!

Species seen included:

Wood White
Large Skipper
Red Admiral
Gatekeeper
Speckled Wood
Wood White (female), Oaken Wood (6 August 2011)
Wood White (female), Oaken Wood (6 August 2011)
Last edited by Mark Colvin on Sat Aug 06, 2011 9:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.

MikeOxon

Post by MikeOxon »

Mark Colvin wrote:Anyway, to my plan … ‘Bathroom Entomology’ … or how many different moths can you catch in your bathroom overnight.
If the pics are in your bathroom, you must have a Swedish sauna!

Mike

Mark Colvin

Post by Mark Colvin »

Very good Mike :lol:

I think The Two Ronnies are safe however!

Mark Colvin

Post by Mark Colvin »

Aston Rowant NNR, 8 August 2011

To say today was a struggle is a bit of an understatement. I had one target, the beautiful and localised Silver-spotted Skipper. Weather conditions looked good. The sun was shining, there was intermittent cloud cover and the temperature was just right ... but the wind was just too much! It never stopped blowing. The Skipper’s naturally rapid flight is hard enough to follow on a still day but with the added impact of strong wind they were nigh on impossible to follow.

Finding the Skipper settled wasn’t too difficult but being able to find one in a photo worthy position was another thing. For those who know the butterfly, they do spend a fair bit of time basking and resting on the ground and images in this position are not too hard to come by, although they are generally not very appealing, at least to my eye. Occasionally, when resting on the ground, they would actually climb onto my finger when it was presented slowly in front of them. I received what felt like a strong feeling of trust … a nice moment.

However, perseverance did pay off in the end with several shots I was happy with.

For those who haven’t visited Aston Rowant NNR before I recommend a visit but be aware. The ground is very steep and can be difficult underfoot in places. It is also quite noisy with the continual drone of the M40 motorway in the background, though after a while this fades into the general environment. The sheep that graze the site, presumably as part of the overall habitat management plan, leave a trail of what only sheep can leave behind! Being an entomologist and photographer who likes to get down and personal, I soon found this out to my detriment … I was covered in a fairly short period of time!

My thanks to Lee Hurrell for directions to the site.

Species seen included:

Silver-spotted Skipper
Chalkhill Blue
Common Blue
Brown Argus
Small Copper
Red Admiral
Gatekeeper
Meadow Brown
Speckled Wood
Silver-spotted Skipper (male), Aston Rowant (8 August 2011)
Aston Rowant National Nature Reserve (8 August 2011)
Aston Rowant National Nature Reserve (8 August 2011)

Lee Hurrell
Stock Contributor
Stock Contributor

Post by Lee Hurrell »

Nice shots, Mark. The first one was worth getting up for - cracking photo!

Glad you found the site ok.

Cheers

Lee

To butterfly meadows, chalk downlands and leafy glades; to summers eternal.
Wurzel
Stock Contributor
Stock Contributor

Post by Wurzel »

Some cracking shots there - I like the middle one in particular :D Is it just me or do they look much litghter this year than last -really greeny?

Have a goodun

Wurzel

Mark Colvin

Post by Mark Colvin »

Thanks Guys,

I'm glad you like the shots as they didn't come easy, particularly the first one.
Wurzel wrote:Is it just me or do they look much lighter this year than last - really greeny?
I can't really comment on this as it was my first outing looking for them.

Good hunting.

Kind regards. Mark

Mark Colvin

Post by Mark Colvin »

Stedham Common, 8 August 2011

Whilst on route to Midhurst late yesterday afternoon I had an hour to spare. Not expecting much, I decided to take a brief look around Stedham Common.

After only fifteen minutes or so of looking around, I saw what at first appeared to be a pair of brown butterflies flying whilst joined in copulation. However, on closer inspection and a very quick record shot, it turned out to be a specimen of what I believe to be a female Golden-tabbed Robberfly (Eutolmus rufibarbis) carrying away its supper … a female Gatekeeper!

What a way to go!

Species seen included:

Holly Blue
Gatekeeper
Meadow Brown
Speckled Wood
Robberfly with female Gatekeeper, Stedham Common (8 August 2011)
Robberfly with female Gatekeeper, Stedham Common (8 August 2011)
Last edited by Mark Colvin on Wed Aug 10, 2011 3:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Mark Colvin

Post by Mark Colvin »

Chantry Hill, 9 August 2011

A very brief and my first ever visit to Chantry Hill this afternoon produced a good variety and number of species. Chalkhill Blue were very abundant but what surprised me most was the number of Meadow Brown, many of which appeared to have just emerged. After a bit of hunting I managed to track down two male Silver-spotted Skipper’s, both taking in the heat from the disturbed soil around the numerous rabbit scrapes.

A quick record shot of a Small Tortoiseshell was all I managed.

I will certainly return when time is on my side.

Species seen included:

Silver-spotted Skipper
Chalkhill Blue
Common Blue
Brown Argus
Gatekeeper
Small Heath
Meadow Brown
Small Tortoiseshell
Small Tortoiseshell, Chantry Hill (9 August 2011)
Small Tortoiseshell, Chantry Hill (9 August 2011)

Michaeljf

Post by Michaeljf »

Hi Mark,
the first shot you have of the SIlver-Spotted Skipper is an absolute cracker! :) I know what you mean about both the weather conditions (wind) and also the sheep pooh, as I was at the site on Saturday 6th, just two days before yourself, and I have a lovely new colour to one of my boots to prove it! :) Technical question - for the single SSS shot on the flower, did you use a tripod or monopod, as I presume it wasn't hand-held. Keep up the good work! :wink:
Michael

Mark Colvin

Post by Mark Colvin »

Hi Michael,

Thanks for your post and I'm glad you like the shot. It took a while to get and I think I was very lucky in respect that it was a fresh specimen and didn't immediately fly off like most of the others. It was found and photographed at the bottom of the slope just as you enter the site.
Michaeljf wrote:for the single SSS shot on the flower, did you use a tripod or monopod, as I presume it wasn't hand-held?
Hand held all the way ... I don't possess a tripod or monopod!

Good hunting.

Kind regards. Mark

Mark Colvin

Post by Mark Colvin »

Noar Hill, 10 August 2011

Having climbed for what seemed like miles (I’m sure it wasn’t really that far and probably more likely to be associated with my level of fitness) I finally emerged from High Wood Hanger and arrived at an entrance gate into High Common and one of the disused pits located on the top of Noar Hill. It was only afterwards that I found out, by speaking to two fellow enthusiasts from the Hampshire and Isle of Wight Branch of Butterfly Conservation, that I had taken the hard route! I’ll know better next time …

Having taken so long getting to the top, I only had around 45 minutes to explore. Needless to say I didn’t get very far. However, in the first and only pit I briefly investigated I found a reasonable number of species … no doubt sheltering from the strong winds which prevailed in the area. Although I didn't see any personally, 2nd brood Dingy Skipper's were reported though no reports of Brown Hairstreak or 2nd brood Duke of Burgundy ... though they may have been there (we have to live in hope).

Having missed out on a photo opportunity of a pristine Comma in the woods, a quick record shot of a Small Copper feeding was all that I managed (not one of my better ones I’m afraid but I do like to post a picture with a report).

Species seen included:

Common Blue
Small Copper
Peacock
Comma
Red Admiral
Brimstone
Small White
Gatekeeper
Speckled Wood
Meadow Brown
Small Copper, Noar Hill (10 August 2011)
Small Copper, Noar Hill (10 August 2011)

Mark Colvin

Post by Mark Colvin »

Heyshott Escarpment, 12 August 2011

It was either Steyning Rifle Range, in the hope of a Brown Hairstreak, or Heyshott Escarpment, in what seemed the more realistic proposition of finding a 2nd brood 'Duke' or Dingy Skipper, especially as the latter had been reported from there last week. With the forecast being rather borderline for the Brown Hairstreak and being only 10 minutes away from Heyshott I decided on the latter.

Both Common and Chalkhill Blue were still around in good numbers and these were the first species encountered under an overcast sky. What struck me most today was the fact that nearly all of the Common Blue I encountered were infested with mite, some very heavily. I can’t say I noticed this with the Chalkhill’s, though several Gatekeeper I came across also had ‘hitchhikers’ attached. Sadly the Duke of Burgundy did not show and this was also the same for the Dingy Skipper. Three pristine Red Admiral were on show though getting close enough for a decent shot proved difficult.

On my way back down, having thoroughly checked out the upper slopes, I popped in to one of the lower areas off the main track, which has previously been rewarding. Sadly, with the exception of a few small areas where sources of nectar remained, this part of the site had obviously very recently been cut back and burnt, the remains of a smouldering bonfire filling the air. A quick look around produced several Chalkhill Blue, two Small White and a single male Green-veined White.

Maybe I should have gone to Steyning?

Species seen included:

Common Blue
Chalkhill Blue
Red Admiral
Small Heath
Gatekeeper
Meadow Brown
Small White
Green-veined White
Common Blue (male), Heyshott Escarpment (12 August 2011)
Common Blue (male), Heyshott Escarpment (12 August 2011)

Mark Colvin

Post by Mark Colvin »

Rome, 13 August 2011

Whilst sitting drinking a cold beer on the roof garden of my hotel in central Rome I watched a single Geranium Bronze (Cacyreusp marshalli) nectaring and posing for pictures ... and guess where my camera is - not in Rome!

Good hunting.

Kind regards. Mark

Mark Colvin

Post by Mark Colvin »

Southwater, 20 August 2011

To say I have been ‘gagging at the bit’ to get out would be a bit of an understatement. Having spent the last week doing the Italian history thing (Rome, Pisa and Venice) and looking at far too many churches, basilicas, temples, palaces, monuments etc I was ready to blow! Now don’t get me wrong, I absolutely love history but it has to have the word NATURAL in front of it ... if it doesn’t then I’m really not that interested. All I can say is I was glad I had my iPhone with me and could browse the ukbutterflies website, though at times that just made me more frustrated particularly when Neal posted his first set of Brown Hairstreak pictures.

Anyway (grumpy old man bit over), having arrived home last night I finally managed to get out for a brief walk this afternoon, around a rather busy Southwater Country Park meadow, in anticipation of a possible Brown Hairstreak. This sadly produced very little apart from too many dog walkers. I should have known better really …

Hopefully my next outing will be more productive.

Species seen included:

Red Admiral
Small White
Large White
Small Copper
Gatekeeper
Meadow Brown
Speckled Wood

Mark Colvin

Post by Mark Colvin »

Halnaker Hill, 21 August 2011

After much discussion as to what to do this afternoon we, that is my wife, daughter and son, finally agreed that a walk to Halnaker Windmill would hopefully blow away a few cobwebs left over from our recent overseas holiday. This was certainly a better option than the cinema or bowling as it allowed me to take my camera with the added benefit that I might get a snap or two of some butterflies. Well I certainly got a few snaps but in the very bright and windy conditions little was on the wing and what was proved impossible to photograph.

It’s been some time since I last went to Halnaker and although a few butterflies were seen, particularly in the enclosed area surrounding the mill, the area immediately adjoining the track leading to the windmill had little to offer. The adjoining agricultural land is also heavily cultivated and provides very little, if anything, in the way of sources of nectar or foodplants. The walk certainly blew away the cobwebs!

Species seen included:

Red Admiral
Small White
Common Blue
Gatekeeper
Meadow Brown
Speckled Wood
Halnaker Windmill (21 August 2011)
View from Halnaker Windmill (21 August 2011)
View from Halnaker Windmill (21 August 2011)

Mark Colvin

Post by Mark Colvin »

Steyning and Chantry Hill, 22 August 2011

Correctly anticipating a large gathering yesterday (see Sussex Kipper's report) I decided to leave my visit to Steyning Rifle Range, in search of the illusive Brown Hairstreak, until today. Good plan I hear you say … except the weather didn’t play ball. I arrived early to a very warm and humid site with extensive cloud cover. However, the sun was pushing through and I hoped that by 11am the sun would be out in all its glory and I would be surrounded by my quarry. Sadly it didn’t go quite like that …

I did manage to see four Brown Hairstreak’s flying around the canopy of one of the master trees in the main reserve area, though sadly they did not descend. Later in the morning, on the more elevated area of the reserve, I am 95% sure I observed a female joined in copula with a male and flying from the upper hedgerow and low over the scrub in front of me and then never to be seen again. Now that would have been a good shot if I’d have managed to find them!

Species seen included:

Red Admiral
Small Copper
Brown Argus
Common Blue
Gatekeeper
Small Heath
Meadow Brown
Speckled Wood
Green-veined White
Green-veined White (female), Steyning (22 August 2011)
Green-veined White (male), Steyning (22 August 2011)
Green-veined White (male), Steyning (22 August 2011)
Myathropa florea (male), Steyning (22 August 2011)
Myathropa florea (male), Steyning (22 August 2011)
Steyning Rifle Range (22 August 2011)
Steyning Rifle Range (22 August 2011)
A later brief visit to a very overcast and windy Chantry Hill produced my target of Silver-spotted Skipper, a female of which was most obliging.

Species seen included:

Chalkhill Blue
Gatekeeper
Small Heath
Meadow Brown
Small Skipper
Silver-spotted Skipper
Silver-spotted Skipper (female), Chantry Hill (22 August 2011)
Silver-spotted Skipper (female), Chantry Hill (22 August 2011)
Last edited by Mark Colvin on Tue Aug 23, 2011 10:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Return to “Personal Diaries”