Common Blue

Discussion forum for getting a butterfly identified.
JohnR

Common Blue

Post by JohnR »

After having seen only 4 Common Blues all season in my field a new hatch appeared yesterday, but they all seemed smaller and lighter in colour than I remember them (but then a year is a long time :!: ) This is a female CB??
IMG_2991.JPG
Michaeljf

Re: Common Blue

Post by Michaeljf »

Hi John,
I would say, yes, definitely a Female Common Blue. There are some clever folks here that should be able to tell you which particular type of aberrant this is as well (there is a distintive range of different types of the Female Common Blues all with different and recogniseable types of colouring etc). Unfortunately I don't know the aberrants that well, and I just bow to those with superior knowledge.. :wink:
Michael
JohnR

Post by JohnR »

Thank you for that confirmation. I keep hoping that one of my CBs will turn out to be something else, I suppose I should be content with what I have.
Lee Hurrell
Stock Contributor
Stock Contributor

Post by Lee Hurrell »

She is a stunning lady though John, and your picture shows her colours superbly.

Cheers

Lee
To butterfly meadows, chalk downlands and leafy glades; to summers eternal.
millerd

Post by millerd »

I'm a big fan of Common Blue females and their immense variety of blueness. A look around my local patch this evening revealed a few, some of which were recently emerged and very small - as small as the the Brown Argus that were flitting amongst them. However, their blueness gave them away. I managed a couple of open-wing shots before they decided to roost. One tiny female found a very snug looking spot - in contrast to a nearby male who appeared to have elected to snooze on the butterfly equivalent of a bed of nails...

Dave
Attachments
Normal-sized female, not so much blue
Normal-sized female, not so much blue
Very small female, very blue
Very small female, very blue
Same butterfly, settled on a bed of fluff
Same butterfly, settled on a bed of fluff
Nearby male, having chosen the teazel option
Nearby male, having chosen the teazel option

Return to “Identification”