Brown Hairstreak at Noar Hill??

Discussion forum for sightings.
RobS

Brown Hairstreak at Noar Hill??

Post by RobS »

im led to believe numbers here are dwindling.i spent all day there on friday along with a couple of very knowledgeable naturalists who also turned up to see BH.
We were in the right place at the right time but mr hairstreak was a "no show".
As im only a beginner and trying to complete my list i was happy with brown argus and common blue (yes im easily impressed at the moment).
do any of you good people know if noar hill has revealed its hairstreaks recently,and in what numbers.many thanks.

rob
Under canvas. Just the wild woods for company.
Gibster

Re: Brown Hairstreak at Noar Hill??

Post by Gibster »

I know that Pete Eeles went there early in the season and was particularly dismayed to note that a lot of blackthorn had been removed during the winter period (Brown Hairstreaks lay their eggs on blackthorn. The eggs overwinter in situ before hatching out in the late spring - hence if the blackthorn has been removed, so have the eggs, and therefore a proportion of the resident population of adults)

Good luck completing that list, it can be frustrating at times but brilliant to achieve!

Gibster.
Raising £10,000 for Butterfly Conservation by WALKING 1200 miles from Land's End to John O'Groats!!!
See http://www.justgiving.com/epicbutterflywalk or look up Epic Butterfly Walk on Facebook.
millerd

Post by millerd »

I dropped by Noar Hill today, but looked in vain for BH. The prolonged downpour after an hour of sunshine didn't help matters I have to say... In fact, the overall lack of butterflies, despite swathes of wildflowers, seemed alarming.

Dave
RobS

Post by RobS »

its very worrying then,that a nature reserve should be clearing what is very obviously an important habitat for one of our less common species.i thought the whole idea was to protect and maintain these environments for the prolonged security of our breeding populations.
however, although i have nothing to compare with,i was pleased with the number of common blues that i saw there,and a good variety of other species too.still, i thought the weather was perfect,unlike today as you say.i left the house bathed in sunshine,if a little windy,and by the time i was a mile into my chobham common excursion,the clouds had opened and forced into hiding any butterflies that i was hoping to photograph.two weeks ago you couldnt move for grayling, and SSB's were abundant too.come tomorrow morning it will be bright and still,and ill be work-bound.thanks for the replies, :)

rob
Michaeljf

Post by Michaeljf »

RobS wrote:come tomorrow morning it will be bright and still,and ill be work-bound. rob
Hi Rob,
I know the feeling....back to the Brown Hairstreaks - the note from Pete Eeles doesn't bode well for the site, but it would be hard to judge the effect on the Brown Hairstreaks from one trip. Remember that there were about 6 or 7 butterfly enthusiasts that I saw in a brief trip to Bernwood Meadows on the Saturday afternoon (day before) - now I know that the BH's have already started emerging - but I didn't see any while I was at Bernwood and I hadn't met anyone that had during that afternoon. The reason is the weather, and the BH's certainly don't like breeze :roll: (or for that matter, the rain), like most of the Hairstreaks. If we get some good weather in the next fortnight (and that might be a big if) it would pay to go back to Noar Hill to see if the numbers creep back up. It might be worth you checking the August posts from sightings last year as a guide.
Welcome to the site, by the way! :)
Michael
RobS

Post by RobS »

thanks for the info michael.ill check Noar Hill again in a couple of weeks-on my way down to Shipton Bellinger :D where they will be waiting for me.
Philzoid

Post by Philzoid »

Hi Rob
Just to let you know last year I saw Brown hairstreak at Noar hill on the 15th of August nectaring on the flowering heads of Hemp Agrimony. I've already been this year on the 1st of August, lured early by the numbers of BH general sightings and the fact that most species are appearing earlier this year.
Although the weather was hot and sunny and I put in plenty of searching, I saw no hairstreaks. With respect to other species I have to disagree with Millerd with sightings of GVW; LW; HB; SWF; RA; Peacock; Comma; BA; CB (lovely female blue forms) and Dingy Skipper. The area that I searched did not show much sign of blackthorn clearance but perhaps there are other BH areas that I'm not aware of. Overall, in spite of last years findings there seems to be a general view (as you mentioned) that the colony at Noar Hill is dwindling. I haven't given up yet and am hoping to fit in another trip to this (otherwise) great site.

Good luck with your quest.

Phil
millerd

Post by millerd »

I think I must have been a victim of windy weather on Sunday - only one of the many old chalk pits had any butterflies at all.

Dave
Paul Wetton

Post by Paul Wetton »

I spoke to some locals last year at Noar Hill who reported that some of the best Blackthorn had been removed by the management and that BH were definitely dwindling.

I can only guess that the site is being managed more so for Duke of Burgundy that requires more open areas. The site can be great for many species but does appear to be less favourable for Brown Hairstreak.

Alners Gorse I have always found to be excellent for BH with a nectaring female being found by the water trough at the top of the hill just through the gate from the car park last year.
Cheers Paul

Post by RobS »

again,thanks to one and all for the advice and encouragement.it certainly wont be the last time im picking brains on this site.im just hoping i get the chance to do shipton or alners for BH before the end of the season.ill certainly try Noar hill again.this weekend though im going to denbies hillside because im down that way visiting friends.so hopefully i can add a few more species to the list...and the memory card.

cheers
rob
Philzoid

Post by Philzoid »

millerd wrote:I think I must have been a victim of windy weather on Sunday - only one of the many old chalk pits had any butterflies at all.
Yeah, sorry about that Dave, the weather plays a big factor in these things and on the day i was there it was perfect.
Susie

Post by Susie »

Hi Rob,

I saw a brown hairstreak at Denbies last year so keep a look out, you never know!

I'll PM you details of where to look.

Susie :D
Mark Tutton

Post by Mark Tutton »

Hi Rob
I first saw BH at Noar Hill in 2008 albeit in small numbers - ones and twos. The following year a large amount of Blackthorn had been removed for reasons unknown and some suckering plants had appeared to be treated with a herbicide. The following year was very poor and I had no sitings but I made several visits to Shipton Bellinger [highly recommended] and Steyning Rifle Range where I saw good numbers.
Last year I again made several visits to NH and made a good number of sightings seeing a maximum of four individuals. I watched at least two females egg laying - mostly on Blackthorn suckers. I returned in February this year and did a very unscientific egg count easily finding 19 eggs in 45mins vitually all on short Blackthorn suckers.
I have visited twice this year and not seen any BH activity yet - and it seems that a lot of the suckers where I had seen eggs earlier in the year have been grazed - this may have been after pupation but I would think unlikely. It seems that this site has to be managed for a wide range of flora and fauna - some of which have conflicting interests? I would have hoped given the apparrent scarcity of BH in Hants that they would be high up the list of priorities - but I am not sure? Some comment from HWT might be useful?
I haven't given up and will let you know if I have any luck.
Mark T
The wonder of the world, the beauty and the power, the shapes of things, their colours lights and shades, these I saw. Look ye also while life lasts.
Gibster

Post by Gibster »

The obvious problem with blackthorn is that it can sometimes quickly invade open habitat and needs to be managed every so often to keep the open spaces...erm...open! But when can this be done without threatening the Brown Hairstreak's chances of survival? The eggs are present from late summer, through the winter period and into late spring. So no cutting back during those months. Then the caterpillar emerges and spends a while munching before pupating on the blackthorn. Plus by now the birds are breeding. So that's the summer months out. Then of course the pesky adults start laying eggs within a week or so of emerging. So......um......? :?

The best process is to scallop along the sunny edge of a mature blackthorn hedge/thicket and then cut back alternating scallops as the years progress. Hence there's always plenty of young edge growth regardless of time of year, every year. Chances are that this process is already being used at Noar Hill, the wildlife trusts aren't usually complete numpties and are less inclined to cater for just one species to the exclusion of all others (yes I'm talking to you, RSPB) but from Joe Public's point of view, good habitat is being trashed willy nilly. Hopefully (HOPEFULLY!!) Noar Hill is being managed sensibly and sustainably. And the Brown Hairstreak season is still to peak.

Cheers,

Gibster.
Raising £10,000 for Butterfly Conservation by WALKING 1200 miles from Land's End to John O'Groats!!!
See http://www.justgiving.com/epicbutterflywalk or look up Epic Butterfly Walk on Facebook.
RobS

Post by RobS »

not sure what the weather holds but im planning to go there in the next few days.i'll report back on what i find.(hopefully BH and DOB and plenty of blackthorn). :lol: thanks again everyone for your wisdom and encouragement.
cheers

rob
RobS

Post by RobS »

Went back to noar hill on the 1st,again looking for BH.A smallish,orangey butterfly did fly between the blackthorn and the ash trees at about 5 metres high but it was too far away to make a positive ID.So although im 99% certain it was BH i cant add it to my list or say for sure that it was mrs hairstreak.I doubt ill get the chance to revisit the site,or any others,before the end of the season so they will just have to wait for next year.
Later in the day i met the gentleman who does the butterfly count for the reserve and he was saying that sightings for this season have just reached double figures.so not a good year for BH at this particular place.He didnt seem to think that the reserve management were in any way responsible for this years bad showing,in fact he seemed to think that on the whole the issue of the blackthorn had been well managed and that some cutting back of the plant was essential for encouraging new growth.
I was pleased to report to him my sighting of a Painted Lady in the chalk pit and then right on cue it re appeared and circled us before flying off.He stated that this was a first for the reserve this year.so perhaps not a brilliant year for them either.Certainly not a repeat of 2009.Other species seen: common blue,brown argus,meadow brown,red admiral,small heath,large white,brimstone and 2 Camberwell Beauties. :lol: Well maybe not the Beauties.just wishing. !! :wink:

cheers

rob

Return to “Sightings”