July 2011

Discussion forum for sightings.
Willrow

Re: July 2011

Post by Willrow »

Certainly a day to remember David, must have taken lot's of energy to do three locations such as Bentley, Alners and Swanage in one day. Twenty seven species is a very respectable tally, pity about the Lulworth Skipper though. I know what you mean about 'yearning on miserable afternoons', still August and September to enjoy yet though :)

Think your probably right about your worn Silver-washed Fritillary being a Valezina, I saw a very similar one at Alners Buckthorn (opps sorry Gorse :lol: ) on Saturday.

Bill :D
Why not visit my website at http://www.dragonfly-days.co.uk
Michaeljf

Post by Michaeljf »

Hi David,
a great report(s) - even though I think you've gone over the edge from 'very enthusiastic' to 'slightly certifiable' :shock: :lol:. Lovely shots especially of the Brown Hairstreak at Alners Gorse. Thanks also for including the landscape shots as I reckon they always add to the description of the butterfly species, no question :D .

I'm sure as the month goes on the Brown Hairstreaks will be out in bigger numbers at the reserves and hopefully easier for folks to see (depending on the weather) though of course they may not be in such 'lovely nick'! :) :mrgreen:
Michael
Perseus

Post by Perseus »

Hello,

1 August 2011
As I was not happy with my one acre transect count on Mill Hill the previous day, I went to the lower slopes and made a fresh count in very good conditions (humid, weak sunshine, 20.2 °C, ESE Force 4) and in the 20 minutes (timed) it took me to amble along the transect, I counted 58 Chalkhill Blues (including six females). The count included one mating pair. Although this has been typical of the last couple of years, it was only a tenth the total of a good year and below par even for poor years. The first of three second brood male Adonis Blues showed, and without trying half a dozen second brood Dingy Skippers, including courting pairs, fluttered into view. This was more that usual years when only a few are seen. There were the expected frequent Meadow Browns, Gatekeepers, Common Blues and Small Heaths, a few Large Whites and one yellow Brimstone Butterfly. I sat down above the winding path (the transect are is south of the path) and watched a further 20 Chalkhill Blues including a mating pair that flew close enough to be photographed. I returned by the quickest ridge route and noted on the top part of the hill two male Chalkhil Blues, enough Common Blues to indicate they must be common in the top meadows. A Wall Brown fluttered over me. A Brown Argus on the southern part of the Mill Hill was unusual.

Mill Hill Reports 2011
http://www.glaucus.org.uk/MillHill2011.html

Cheers

Andy Horton
glaucus@hotmail.com
Adur Valley Nature Notes
http://www.glaucus.org.uk/Adur2011.html
Adur Valley Nature Notes: July 2011
http://www.glaucus.org.uk/July2011.html
Sussex Downs Facebook Group
http://www.facebook.com/group.php?gid=111843132181316
David M

Post by David M »

Michaeljf wrote:Hi David,
a great report(s) - even though I think you've gone over the edge from 'very enthusiastic' to 'slightly certifiable' :shock: :lol:. Lovely shots especially of the Brown Hairstreak at Alners Gorse. Thanks also for including the landscape shots as I reckon they always add to the description of the butterfly species, no question :D .
I felt downright 'certifiable' stuck in a 2 mile traffic jam on the way out of Purbeck past Corfe Castle! :(

I just thought trying to see as many butterfly species in a single day was something different to try. It's the best time of year to do it as there's plenty of overlap between earlier and later (or 2nd brood) species.

The more I think about it the more I believe that 40 is possible (though you'd have to get lucky with things like Clouded Yellow and late Purple Emperors).
Michaeljf

Post by Michaeljf »

Sunday 31st July – Parc Penallta, near Ystrad Mynach (S Wales)

After a long drive the previous day (though not a David-M-type-long-drive), we’d decided to stay local on Saturday and Bill (Willrow) had very kindly agreed to take us round Parc Penallta, near Ystrad Mynach in the borough of Caerphilly (just south of the Brecon Beacons, South Wales). This countryside park is built using reclaimed land from the coal pit spoils. As Bill has mentioned – he considers this the ‘Grayling capital’ of Wales and seeing as Karen and I always seem to have missed seeing Graylings in Britain – the invite was too good to miss! :)

We arrived at the Parc just after 10 am, and the temperature was still warm and quite humid, as with the previous day – also weak sunshine kept breaking through. Following Bill from a smaller car-park we would see Graylings almost as soon as we were walking in the park. One of the first Graylings we saw (spotted by Karen!), for some reason, was opening its’ wings as it crept through in the lower grass. The sight of the inside wings was a pretty rare occurrence that we were very lucky to see. The weak sunshine wasn’t the optimum conditions for the Graylings, but with Bill’s help we did a count of the Graylings on about a third of the parc and stopped at about 130 individuals :shock: They seemed happiest when the sun broke through, but even during the cloudy spells there were plenty sheltering in the grass. Walking on much of the land you can still see the remains of the coal and slate, but it was amazing to feel how hot the ground would get even in hazy sunshine, perfect for the Graylings. I could understand walking over this ground how the lush landscape of my local patch was far too grassy for these interesting butterflies.

The Park was also interesting for a wide range of fabulous wild-flowers, including large amounts of Lady’s bedstraw, Fireweed and Marjoram, Common Centaury and Vetch amongst the more recognisable species and even flowers such as Wild Pansy and an unusual rarity for the area that I’ll leave Bill to disclose if he wants too :wink: . Also the park has a good range of sculptures and benches to sit on, including the very large earth sculpture Sultan (not to be referred to as ‘a horse!’) and some lovely metalwork designs on one of the highest sculptures / Observatory viewpoint (many of the designs were done by local school kids, sometimes describing wildlife, sometimes describing icons from the local history) :) .

We didn’t have enough time to see the entire park (I was a bit tired from the previous day :roll: ) but amongst the butterflies we also saw some new second-brood Common Blues and plenty of Small Heaths, Meadow Browns, Gatekeepers and a few Red Admirals and Peacocks. However, the Graylings were the main reason to go and they certainly didn’t disappoint :mrgreen: :mrgreen: . I hope to go back again in the next fortnight as I didn’t get any really nice pictures of the Park, and going there with clear blue skies would make the experience even better... :)

Thanks very much to Bill for sharing his time and valuable expertise with us :D .

N.B. I returned to the reserve a week later when the light was much better for landscape photographs, though the Graylings weren't in as good numbers, there was a beautiful female Holly Blue that would be oh-so-difficult to photograph due to stronger winds.

Michael

One of the first Graylings of the day that was happy to open its wings for us!

Bill opens up a Little Owl pellet to show us their diet. Watch out, Chris Packham!!

The iron designs on the Observatory, many created by the local school kids.

The Observatory at a later visit, under good sunlight..

The Graylings all like the local ground which contain plenty of strange flowers on the Coal and slate base.

A range of the amazing local wildflowers growing all round the parc.

Unfortunately the skies never really allowed me to get any good landscape shots to show...so I went back a week later for some better photos.

Bill pointed out that the Graylings love the purple flowers. With the slightly dull conditions they were only briefly drawn onto them.

A view of some of the fireweed (Rosebay Willowherb) near the land sculpture 'Sultan'.

A female Holly Blue evades the wind during my second visit a week later.
Last edited by Michaeljf on Mon Aug 15, 2011 8:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.
David M

Post by David M »

Michael, you have surpassed yourself. I think those are some of the best photos you've posted on here.

Magnificent shot of an open-wing Grayling. I've seen them twitching their wings before now but to get a picture of one with so much of the forewings on display is one of the rarest rewards a UK photographer can achieve.

Like you say, a sunny day would do the site greater justice, but as ever here in Wales, sunshine is a commodity in short supply. :(
Lee Hurrell
Stock Contributor
Stock Contributor

Post by Lee Hurrell »

I agree with David, lovely shots Michael!

You see the upperwings of a Grayling so infrequently, you forget what they look like!

Cheers

Lee
To butterfly meadows, chalk downlands and leafy glades; to summers eternal.
Michaeljf

Post by Michaeljf »

Lee and David,

your comments are very kind...I think with the Grayling shots it's really a bit of luck. Now, if the butterfly had been in mint condition, that really would have been amazing :wink: They are quite beautiful, even when you only see the interior upperwings briefly. They remind me a little of Painted Ladies when you catch their colours in flight.

Roll on some more sunshine...(erm, if possible please) :| :roll: :)

Michael
Lee Hurrell
Stock Contributor
Stock Contributor

Post by Lee Hurrell »

Michaeljf wrote:They remind me a little of Painted Ladies when you catch their colours in flight.
I felt the same thing when I saw them properly last year in Sussex. I had seen a lone singleton the year before and went back for more last summer!

Cheers

Lee
To butterfly meadows, chalk downlands and leafy glades; to summers eternal.
nick patel

Post by nick patel »

awesome day out at arnside and warton.

hundreds upon hundreds of scotch argus out at the knott, even in drizzly weather, was decent.

a few nice brimstones and walls at warton.

all in all a 23 species day! :)
134.JPG
129.JPG
093.JPG
061.JPG
022.JPG
164.JPG
Michaeljf

Post by Michaeljf »

Hi Nick,

you might want to put your latest entry on Arnside knott / the 'August 2011' sightings thread, if you went in August...? :)

Michael
nick patel

Post by nick patel »

that's a point. cheers michael
Piers

Post by Piers »

millerd wrote:As promised, some photos from Denbies today.

There are no less than 18 butterflies on or close to the piece of excrement. All are Chalkhills, except for a single Adonis in the middle somewhere. Other similar leavings elsewhere on the hillside had congregations, but none so populous!

Dave
A couple of nice (albeit minor) coridon aberrations there on the 'offering'; postobsoleta at 12.00 and antiobsoleta* between 2.00 and 3.00.

Piers.

* yes, surprisingly that is the correct spelling...

Return to “Sightings”