Erebia from the Pyrenees

Discussion forum for any overseas items (given that this is a "UK" butterflies forum!).
Padfield
Administrator
Administrator

Erebia from the Pyrenees

Post by Padfield »

Because of the weather I didn't get a chance to look for some of the Erebia species I went to the Pyrenees for, but here are a few of the ones I did see. There are no real identification problems in this group but please do tell me if you think I've made any mistakes!

Firstly, gorgone, or the Gavarnie ringlet. This is a male:

This male has a white mark on his thorax which I think might be where a red acarian mite had been clinging:

Erebia butterflies very commonly carry these mites and that is a prime position for them [EDIT: Having just produced that close-up I now wonder if it is in the right place for an acarian...]. Here is a Piedmont ringlet, meolans, carrying a whole bundle. This photo was taken after a week of bad weather when she must have been lurking in the grass. Maybe that had an effect:

Here is a female gorgone:

Quite a different beast, especially on the underside.

Flying with the meolans and gorgone were oeme (bright-eyed ringlet)...

... and epiphron (small mountain ringlet).

That individual was caught in a disused spider's web and had been there so long it had given up struggling. I thought it was dead. But when I attempted to disengage it (I wouldn't have interfered if the spider had been active at the web) it sprang back to life!

My good deed for the day.

Pyrenean brassy ringlets were abundant at the same site, so here's that seriously brassy picture again!!

They look very conspicuous there, but their undersides are cryptically coloured for almost perfect camouflage on the stony tracks:

I almost trod on that pair.

Here is the sooty black form of yellow-spotted ringlet (manto) at a different site:

I found manto with a little red on it in a meadow very near the gorgone site:

Piedmont ringlets are abundant everywhere in the Val d'Aran. Here is a female:

When you browse a book like Tolman the Erebia group can seem huge and daunting. But in the field they are relatively easy to identify and each species has its quirks and particularities. I really enjoy them.

Guy
Guy's Butterflies: https://www.guypadfield.com
The Butterflies of Villars-Gryon : https://www.guypadfield.com/villarsgryonbook.html
Reverdin

Re: Erebia from the Pyrenees

Post by Reverdin »

That Gavarnie Ringlet is worth the whole trip to see... what a beauty! Is that one easy to find in suitable habitat in it's range, or did you have previous site info to follow? - for that matter, I have the impression the agrodiates were not difficult to find once in the right area, but the books say dolus is "very local".. which usually means to me I aint gonna find it ! :roll:

Those of us who have tried to photograph erebia also know how much effort you have to put in to get any photos, I think they are the biggest teasers in the butterfly world... let you get to about a metre then scarper another ten, usually over an edge :lol:
Last edited by Reverdin on Sun Jul 31, 2011 4:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Padfield
Administrator
Administrator

Re: Erebia from the Pyrenees

Post by Padfield »

I don't know how easy Gavarnie ringlets are in general, Rev, but in the past I have found them (without any previous info) at two separate sites in the Val d'Aran when I have visited in late July. Earlier in the month I have missed them. This year they were not numerous at the one site I had time to visit but relatively easy to spot among the thousands of Piedmont ringlets and Pyrenean brassy ringlets once I got my eye in. That said, the area over which I saw them was very small so I suspect that within their known distribution (which itself is pretty small, being just the high Pyrenees) they occur in rather localised colonies.

The Agrodiaetus, on the other hand, were in every suitable bit of habitat in the region I explored.

And yes, Erebia can be tricky, especially when you have to get within 5cm for a good photo, as I do!

Guy
Guy's Butterflies: https://www.guypadfield.com
The Butterflies of Villars-Gryon : https://www.guypadfield.com/villarsgryonbook.html

Return to “Overseas”