Neil Freeman

This forum contains a topic per member, each representing a personal diary.
Neil Freeman

Re: nfreem

Post by Neil Freeman »

Sunday 24th July.

A beautiful sunny afternoon, and as my daughter was at ours to keep my wife company, I dodged out of the female talk and went off to spend an hour or so at another of my local spots.

http://www.warwickshire-wildlife-trust. ... -sssi.aspx

All the usual suspects were flying around including Meadow Browns, Gatekeepers and Large, Small and GV Whites. There were at least half a dozen Small Coppers that, between bouts of intercepting anything that came close, posed nicely for me.
Small Copper
Small Copper
Another Small Copper
Another Small Copper
And another Small Copper
And another Small Copper
I was also pleased to see Common Blues :D , the first of the Summer brood that I have seen around here.
Common Blue - male
Common Blue - male
Also found this courting couple cavorting in full view on top of a seed head :wink:
Love is in the air.
Love is in the air.
There were also a number of Dragonflies, the chap below is the only one I managed to get a shot of, I have no idea what it is.
Dragonfly of some sort ?
Dragonfly of some sort ?
The weather is looking promising for the next few days and I have some time off work so hopefully I will be able to get out some more.

Bye for now,

Neil.

Diary entries for 2011 have been archived. If there are missing images in this post, then they can be found in this archive if one exists. All archives can be found here.
Neil Freeman

Post by Neil Freeman »

Monday 25th July

As mentioned in the sightings thread I was in two minds as to whether to go to Prestbury Hill or Rodborough Common today.
In the end I went I to Prestbury Hill this morning. I spent a about 3 hours wandering around both sides of the reserve looking for Chalkhill Blues without success. It was a pleasant morning nonetherlesss with the following species seen in good numbers,

Meadow Browns
Gatekeepers
Speckled Wood
Marbled White
Small Heaths
Dark Green Fritillary...it took ages to get a shot of one of these, they are hyperactive :)
Peacocks
Small Skipper
Large, Small and GV Whites.
Dark Green Fritillary - after much patient waiting
Dark Green Fritillary - after much patient waiting
Small Heath - finally got a pic of one not surrounded by grass stems
Small Heath - finally got a pic of one not surrounded by grass stems
I also saw the following in smaller numbers,

3 Brown Argus
2 Common Blue
3 Small Copper
3 Large Skipper
2 Red Admiral
1 Small Tortoiseshell
1 Silver Washed Fritillary in the valley at the southern end of the reserve busy chasing Peacocks around the brambles.
Brown Argus - male
Brown Argus - male
Brown Argus - female
Brown Argus - female
The Small Copper below had slight blue spotting on the hind wings. Not sure if these are large enough to qualify as an ab.
Small Copper - slight blue spots on hind wing
Small Copper - slight blue spots on hind wing
Being unsuccessful at Prestbury with Chalkhill Blues I decided to carry on to Rodborough Common.
Following directions given by Bill Willrow I headed for Swellshill Bank. I parked the car and wandered down the bank and within minutes had seen a couple of dozen Chalkhill Blues
I spent about an hour here and must have seen 50+ CBs although I did not keep an exact count.
Also seen here were the usual Meadow Browns, a few worn Marbled Whites and a solitary Dark Green Fritillary.
Chalkhill Blue - male
Chalkhill Blue - male
Chalkhill Blue - male
Chalkhill Blue - male
All in all, another good day :D

Bye for now

Neil.

Diary entries for 2011 have been archived. If there are missing images in this post, then they can be found in this archive if one exists. All archives can be found here.
Mark Colvin

Post by Mark Colvin »

Hi Neil.

Glad to see you're are getting to grips with the close-up lens. Great 1st Brown Argus shot.
nfreem wrote:Dark Green Fritillary - after much patient waiting
I gave up waiting!

Keep up the good work.

Kind regards. Mark

Lee Hurrell
Stock Contributor
Stock Contributor

Post by Lee Hurrell »

Mark Colvin wrote:Glad to see you're are getting to grips with the close-up lens. Great 1st Brown Argus shot.
I agree, that one's a stunner!

Cheers

Lee

To butterfly meadows, chalk downlands and leafy glades; to summers eternal.
Michaeljf

Post by Michaeljf »

Hi Neil,
seeing as by your own admission this is your first year - you have got a really nice collection of species (and photos) already. Very nice shots at Prestbury Hill and Rodborough Common, two of my favourite places that I don't have enough time to visit at the moment! :roll: :)
Michael

Neil Freeman

Post by Neil Freeman »

Thanks for the comments guys,

Glad you like the shots :D ,I had some really useful tips on using the close up lens from posters on here including Mark Colvin and Sussex Kipper.

I was interested in Butterfies as a lad, like a lot of others, but then life sort of takes over and you lose touch with a lot of things.
It was whilst I was on holiday in Cornwall last year that I saw some Dark Green Fritillarys amongst some dunes and they re-ignited my interest. During the back end of last year I attempted to take a few photos of anything that I saw using an old point and shoot compact camera.
This soon made me realise that I would need something better and after looking through the various threads on UKB I picked up a second hand Lumix FZ38 last winter.

So, yes, this is my first full season of my re-born interest.
I am pretty fortunate in that living in the midlands, I have some very good sites within easy reach. In fact Rodborough Common yesterday was the furthest I have travelled so far, about 70 miles or so from my house.

Bye for now,

Neil.

Neil Freeman

Post by Neil Freeman »

Thursday 28th July - part 1

After checking the weather forcast the night before and after reading some of the posts in other threads, I decided to head off down the M40 to Aston Rowant.
I figured that I could be there for about 09.30am which would give me a good 2-3 hours there and then allow me time to call in at Bernwood on my way back up the motorway and still have time to get back home by 6pm-ish when I had to pick up my wife from my daughters.

I left home at 0.800am and following a steady drive down the M40 duly arrived at Aston Rowant just before half past nine :)

Parking at the car park on the north side, I walked through the wooded area and out onto the hillside.
Aston Rowant - looking West.
Aston Rowant - looking West.
Straight away, I saw Meadow Browns and Chalkhill Blues. the Meadow Browns varied from extremely faded and tatty to fairly fresh looking. The Chalkhill Blues were mostly male but there were some females about as well.
Meadow Brown - male
Meadow Brown - male
Chalkhill Blue - male
Chalkhill Blue - male
Chalkhill Blue - male
Chalkhill Blue - male
Chalkhill Blue - female
Chalkhill Blue - female
There were also a few Small Coppers about including this pair, the one on the left is form Caeruleo-punctata I believe. The one on the right also has some slight blue spotting.
Small Copper var. and friend.
Small Copper var. and friend.
Anyway, the main reason that I had come to Aston Rowant was for Silver Spotted Skippers and, moving a little further along the hillside, It wasn't long before I saw the first one :D . During the next couple of hours I must have seen a couple of dozen all along the hillside along with loads of Chalkhill Blues.
Silver Spotted Skipper - male
Silver Spotted Skipper - female
Silver Spotted Skipper about to chase off a hoverfly
Silver Spotted Skipper about to chase off a hoverfly
Also seen were a few worn Marbled Whites, some Brimstones, Small Skippers near the base of the hill and a Hummingbird Hawk Moth :D

After a very enjoyable few hours, I decided to make a move and head back up the M40 stopping off at Bernwood on the way.

To be continued.......

Bye for now,

Neil.

EricY

Post by EricY »

Lovely pics from Aston Rowant Neil, hope we can do as well on sunday. Eric

ChrisC

Post by ChrisC »

aston looking west pic. hmmm i wonder what the chances are of the dark shape, top right hand corner , being a red kite. (i actually initially thought it was dirt on my screen) I used to go 2 or 3 times a year (before i found butterflies) never knew about the skippers up there. so the pictures are nice to see.

Chris

Mark Colvin

Post by Mark Colvin »

Hi Neil,

Nice report.

Aston Rowant looks like a nice piece of ground. Its not a site I know. Is that the M40 to the left of the picture?

I always struggle getting a good shot with Skippers so well done.

Looking forward to Part 2.

Kind regards. Mark

MikeOxon

Post by MikeOxon »

ChrisC wrote:i wonder what the chances are of the dark shape, top right hand corner , being a red kite.
Very high, I should think! There are often about 15 of them hanging around over the M40 cutting! The local press recently latched on to a story about Red Kites stealing lunch boxes from kids in a school playground!

Mike

Neil Freeman

Post by Neil Freeman »

Many thanks for the comments Guys,

Mark, that is the M40 you can see. You can hear it from the site as a constant drone but after a short while I had shut it out and didn't notice.

Yes, it is a Red Kite in the distance, I remember it being there. In fact during the morning they were a constant presence at some point in the sky.

Cheers,

Neil.

Neil Freeman

Post by Neil Freeman »

Mark Colvin wrote:Hi Neil,

I always struggle getting a good shot with Skippers so well done.
They are not easy...sneaking up on them like a ninja, sitting down, lying down, leaning over at odd angles.....one wrong move and they are off like little manic rockets :shock:

Once they take off they are very hard to keep track of. Luckily there were plenty there so it didn't take long before I spotted another one (or the same one again :wink: )

Cheers,

Neil.

Neil Freeman

Post by Neil Freeman »

Thursday July 28th - part 2

After spending the morning at Aston Rowant as descibed in part 1, I decided to head back up the M40 to Bernwood.

I had read Michaeljf and Lee Hurrells reports on their visit to Bernwood so I had a good idea of where I was heading for and sure enough 30 minutes or so later I had parked in the small car park at Bernwood Meadows and was looking down the long field alongside the road.

First Butterflies seen were Meadow Browns, Gatekeepers and Common Blues plus a couple of Small Coppers and Brown Argus (Argus's?? Argi ?? :? ).
Brown Argus - male
Brown Argus - male
It had come over a bit cloudy by this time but was still warm so I decided to have a walk through the wood and come back to the meadow later. Butterflies seen in the wood were Silver Washed Fritillaries, Red Admirals, Peacocks, Meadow Browns, Ringlets, Brimstones and Large Skippers.
Brimstone - male
Brimstone - male
After about an hour or so the sun started peeking out again and I headed back to the meadows.

One of my reasons for coming to Bernwood was to try and finally get a shot of a Purple Hairstreak. I have seen loads at various sites but always up high in the trees. I figured I would look for the 'straggly' Hawthorn descibed by Michael. I soon found the area in question and sure enough there were numerous Purple Hairstreaks flitting about both the straggly tree and its more healthy looking neighbour. Some of these even landed close enough for me to take some photos, not brilliant pics but at least I now had some.
Purple Hairstreak
Purple Hairstreak
Purple Hairstreaks 'eyeballing' each other
Purple Hairstreaks 'eyeballing' each other
Purple Hairstreak
Purple Hairstreak
Purple Hairstreak
Purple Hairstreak
Anyway, I am getting ahead of myself a little here as I had earlier had my highlight of my visit to Bernwood.

I had gone back into the long field and was about half way along watching a couple of Gatekeepers when another one fluttered in front of me.
I thought 'thats a bit dark for a Gatekeeper...hang on a min, that could be a Brown Hairstreak' . Indeed it was :D. It promptly settled in front of me and spent a couple of minutes nectaring allowing me to get some photos. I did not manage to get a shot of the upperside but it flicked its wings open a couple of times long enough for me to see the orange patches identifying her as a female.
Brown Hairstreak - female
As I was taking these photos, I became aware of a growing 'buzzing' around me and noticed I was getting some rather unwelcome attention from a group of wasps. Looking down, I saw that my foot was about six inches or so away from a hole in the ground from which a rather large number of wasps were coming.
I had nearly put my foot in a wasps nest :shock:
I backed away slowly until the wasps were no longer buzzing me but in doing so I had lost sight of the Brown Hairstreak :(

All in all, an excellent morning at Aston Rowant was added to by an equally enjoyable afternoon at Bernwood
The cherry on the cake was the Brown Hairstreak and I even got away without being stung.

Bye for now,

Neil

Mark Colvin

Post by Mark Colvin »

Two species of Hairstreak photographed in one day!

Now that's going some.

Well done.

Kind regards. Mark

Lee Hurrell
Stock Contributor
Stock Contributor

Post by Lee Hurrell »

Lovely report and photos, Neil!

Cheers

Lee

To butterfly meadows, chalk downlands and leafy glades; to summers eternal.
Michaeljf

Post by Michaeljf »

Neil,
you continue to get great shots and see some lovely species - I really enjoyed the report, which I had been there!! Apart from for the Wasps nest.. :wink:
The Purple Hairstreak tree is a little wonder in it's own right, I think!

Must get some sleep now :roll: :mrgreen:

Michael

Neil Freeman

Post by Neil Freeman »

Wednesday 3rd August.

My oldest son has a pushbike that has been sitting in our garage unused for some months now. I have eyed it up occasionally thinking that I could use it to get around some of my local spots.
Well, this morning I went for it. I wiped the dust off it, put some air in the tyres and set off for Sheldon Country Park which is only a 10 minute bike ride away from my house.

The first part of this area consists of playing fields but once past these there is a nice meadow area and then a wooded bit.
Sheldon Country Park - first meadow
Sheldon Country Park - first meadow
There are some paths through the trees, one of which is tarmac, the others are mown grass. Once out the other side there is an open area right at the end of the runway at Birmingham Airport. There are some benches here and there is often a small crowd of people watching the aircraft taking off. Just past here are some more meadow areas plus more small wooded areas.

I spent an hour or so looking around here as it steadily got warmer and warmer and was pleased to see that Common Blue numbers are starting to build. Also seen were a few Small Coppers, plenty of Gatekeepers and Meadow Browns and also plenty of whites that didn't settle long enough to ID, though I think they were mostly Large Whites.
I also spotted a Brown Argus which is the first of these that I have seen at this location :D
Common Blue - male
Common Blue - male
Brown Argus - male
Brown Argus - male
Small Copper
Small Copper
I also spotted this little fella out for a morning Stroll. I am thinking maybe a Buff Ermine but could easily be wrong.
Buff Ermine cat.  or not ?
Buff Ermine cat. or not ?
Most of the time I was there I had a buzzard circling overhead. Birmingham city centre is only a few miles from here, how long before they can be seen circling over the Bull Ring? :o
Buzzard over outskirts of Brum.
Buzzard over outskirts of Brum.
The forcast is for heavy rain tomorrow :( looks like the paint brush will be out again, oh well.

Bye for now,

Neil.

Mark Colvin

Post by Mark Colvin »

Hi Neil,

Glad to see you're getting out with the camera. I've been stuck in the house all day today and the weather is forecast for heavy rain tomorrow (when I could get out)! I particularly like the Brown Argus shot. I think they're fabulous creatures and quite often overlooked.

Keep up the good work.

Good hunting.

Kind regards. Mark

Neil Freeman

Post by Neil Freeman »

Thanks Mark,

It was the first time I have managed to get out myself this week. Rain was forcast here for today but we didn't get any, it turned out to be a nice day :D
Weather not looking good anywhere tomorrow, lets hope the weekend is not too bad.

Cheers,

Neil.

Return to “Personal Diaries”