A Few more from Greece for confirmation

Discussion forum for getting a butterfly identified.
ChrissyM

A Few more from Greece for confirmation

Post by ChrissyM »

Hello again :) I am hoping that someone is able to confirm my ID's on these
graylingff.jpg
I think this may be a Woodland Grayling? I understand that they are pretty similar to rock Graylings apart from size, these are quite a large butterfly, likened to the size of a Peacock. These were predominantly in woodland, often in the shade flying around trees. I have other photo's if required of a male and female but not with the wings open.
Southern Commaff.jpg
I don't have an image of the underside to confirm the different Comma shape but the top markings are so different, I am thinking that this must be a Southern Comma?
Lattice brownff.jpg
Finally, a Lattice Brown?
Lee Hurrell
Stock Contributor
Stock Contributor

Re: A Few more from Greece for confirmation

Post by Lee Hurrell »

Hi Chrissy,

I'll pass on the Grayling but I would agree with Southern Comma and Lattice Brown.

Cheers

Lee
To butterfly meadows, chalk downlands and leafy glades; to summers eternal.
Padfield
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Padfield »

Hi Chrissy. You won't get certainty on the graylings, but some more pictures might help with the probabilities. Rock grayling that is not. My bet is on Eastern rock grayling, mainly because the amount and intensity of white under the hindwing is much less than I have seen on woodland graylings either in France or Spain. That might mean nothing - there is often more variation within these grayling species than between. But a picture with more of the underside forewing showing might help to decide between these two.

Guy
Guy's Butterflies: https://www.guypadfield.com
The Butterflies of Villars-Gryon : https://www.guypadfield.com/villarsgryonbook.html
ChrissyM

Post by ChrissyM »

Thank you both very much :D

For the time being the Graylings are simply being called Graylings :wink: I have looked at hundreds of images and none of them look quite the same as these. I recall a local telling me that there is some relation between these and the Pine Trees but, I have no idea whether it is likely to be the case or not. Here are some more images and I think that these are all the same species.
This is a pair, the one on the left spent lots of time flashing it's wings open at the one behind. So I am assuming that this is a male and female and there is a lot more white on the one than the other.
grayling pairff.jpg
Skiathos has a lot of very old woodland. The area that I saw these was in the old forest with a freshwater stream running through.
grayling unknownff.jpg
I know that I may never find out for sure.......they are amazing butterflies to have seen anyway, photo's don't do justice to their amazingly graceful flight. But, it would be nice to at least have a probability. Btw, I love the site Guy which between you and Matt Rowlings has helped out on many occasions :)
marmari

Post by marmari »

A lovely set of pics and this entry has corrected one of my photo efforts from a visit to Lefkada,thanks.
What I had down as a Eastern Large Heath is of course the Lattice Brown.My IDs are notoriously suspect even though I make use of the Tolman guide when abroad.
As for the Grayling , again i have labelled this pic as a Woodland but just as easily could be an Eastern Rock.
I agree completely that Guys knowledge has been enlightening.
PS Skiathos is beautiful, along with almost all the Greek Islands I have encountered.
ChrissyM

Post by ChrissyM »

Marmari, I am glad the thread was helpful to someone :wink:

Great photo's from you and I much enjoyed the wonderful ones on Flickr. Very nice...

I do love Skiathos (and other Greek Islands) and also had a fabulous time taking pics of dragonflies and damsels. Great to see some very different one's but IDing some of those has proved to be equally challenging!
Lee Hurrell
Stock Contributor
Stock Contributor

Post by Lee Hurrell »

ChrissyM wrote: I have looked at hundreds of images and none of them look quite the same as these.
I went to a UK site for our own semele Grayling recently and the underside of pretty much each one was different!

Cheers

Lee
David M

Post by David M »

I had this problem in France. There is such a multiplicity of Grayling undersides that attempting to provide a standard one is impossible.
ChrissyM

Post by ChrissyM »

Lee Hurrell wrote:
ChrissyM wrote: I have looked at hundreds of images and none of them look quite the same as these.
I went to a UK site for our own semele Grayling recently and the underside of pretty much each one was different!

Cheers

Lee
Lee I agree and yet they are so perfectly camoflouged. I have seen that we have an area locally and I must go and see our own version shortly :) I think it will be great to go and compare after spending so long watching these. I guess it is a lot like the blues and I am still trying to work out some of those!! I am pretty sure that my blues from the island are all Common but, I have never seen such tiny specimens. And then I came across a couple that don't quite fit either...however, none are missing that bottom forewing spot. So, for now I am making assumptions.
I do have one image that you all might enjoy that is unmistakable! But, it seems that Two tailed Pasha's besides liking fruit and unmentionable goodies also love Amstel ;)
AJC_5036ff.jpg
Lee Hurrell
Stock Contributor
Stock Contributor

Post by Lee Hurrell »

Nice image Chrissy!

I think it's the fermenting of fruit they like too, which has obviously led this individual on to harder stuff :lol:

Cheers

Lee
marmari

Post by marmari »

Yes,the two tailed pasha,a lovely butterfly and as said a sucker for ripe fruit.
This one was defending his Fig tree,bulging with ripe fruits, from all comers.
it was not going to leave the tree and allowed a close approach, and landed several times on my shoulder.
Lee Hurrell
Stock Contributor
Stock Contributor

Post by Lee Hurrell »

They are stunning, aren't they...

Return to “Identification”