Lens Cleaning

Discussion forum for butterfly photography. You can also get your photos reviewed here!
Lee Hurrell
Stock Contributor
Stock Contributor

Lens Cleaning

Post by Lee Hurrell »

Hi all,

I'm thinking of getting a new camera and would like to look after it.

What do you good people use for cleaning the end of your lenses, close up lenses and adaptors etc?

Is a cloth best, or a blower? If either, which ones?

Thanks in advance,

Lee
Last edited by Lee Hurrell on Wed Jul 20, 2011 10:06 am, edited 1 time in total.
To butterfly meadows, chalk downlands and leafy glades; to summers eternal.
dilettante

Re: Lens Cleaning

Post by dilettante »

Lens Pens are pretty good. Or just a microfibre cloth. Dust and scratches on a lens can cause flare, but otherwise are probably not worth worrying about too much: see this for an extreme example!
Michaeljf

Post by Michaeljf »

Lee,
I'd use a lens cloth - any good camera shop will have them normally near the desk by the till - they're not expensive - always best to have a couple just in case you have a 'supplementary bag' for smaller outings. The blowers are designed for the sensors.
Thanks

Michael

p.s. Still not good weather for visiting Bernwood yet! :roll:
MikeOxon

Post by MikeOxon »

I keep clear UV filters on all my lenses, all the time. As a result, I have never needed to clean the lens itself.

A soft cloth is usually sufficient to clean the filters but, if they get really greasy, I use a Q-tip and iso-propyl alcohol. Sometimes, I just give the whole filter a wash in warm water with a little detergent and then dry thoroughly before putting back on the camera.

Since the filter is in the light path, I use good quality multi-coated filters and have never noticed any adverse effect on image quality. Uncoated filters can cause flare or ghost images.

Mike
Lee Hurrell
Stock Contributor
Stock Contributor

Post by Lee Hurrell »

Thanks all for your help :D

Lee
To butterfly meadows, chalk downlands and leafy glades; to summers eternal.

Return to “Photography”