Arnside Knott

Discussion forum for places to see butterflies.
GOLDENORFE

Re: Arnside Knott

Post by GOLDENORFE »

WENT TO ARNSIDE TODAY , HIGH BROWNS STILL OUT IN GOOD CONDITION AND THE FIRST SCOTCH ARGUS EMERGING

PHIL

MikeOxon

Post by MikeOxon »

Gorgeous specimens and very nice pics, too. The centre of the first large brown ring on your HBF looks bluish. Is it really, or is it just the contrast with the yellow surroundings?
Mike
David M

Post by David M »

How did you get the HBF onto your finger? These butterflies normally shoot off when you encroach to within 10m.
GOLDENORFE

Post by GOLDENORFE »

it was quite cool this morning with thick cloud, they were only flying a few feet before perching up! easy to shoot compared to all the other times i have been in full sun.
this one just crawled on my finger!

the eye spot in full size image is a dirty white colour, not the blueish appearance

phil
GOLDENORFE

Post by GOLDENORFE »

Good numbers of scotch argus to be found today 23 july ,loads of grayling and still quite a few high brown frits seen and a single female northern brown argus egglaying [ perfect condition ]
3 southern hawker dragons spotted also!

phil
dilettante

Post by dilettante »

Excellent! I'm going to be there in a week's time, so that's sounding good. Hoping there may still be HBF around, but Scotch Argus and Northern Brown Argus will do me nicely. :D

Return to “Sites”