Wall Brown?? ID please

Discussion forum for getting a butterfly identified.
lee5243

Wall Brown?? ID please

Post by lee5243 »

Hi all,

New to forum and this was my first excursion with the camera. I have got a few different types but i need help with the last one as i think its too dark to be a wall brown that i have seen in the books.

Also i have included a couple more pictures i have taken today. Hope you like the two of the Comma... i think its a Comma!

Thanks again

Lee
Attachments
What i think is a Gate Keeper.
What i think is a Gate Keeper.
The same Comma from the side. i love the detail you can see
The same Comma from the side. i love the detail you can see
My first Comma from above.
My first Comma from above.
Is this a Wall Brown???
Is this a Wall Brown???
Mark Colvin

Re: Wall Brown?? ID please

Post by Mark Colvin »

Hi Lee.

Its a male Speckled Wood. The others are female Gatekeeper and two Commas.

Kind regards. Mark
lee5243

Post by lee5243 »

Mark,

Thank you very much for your V quick reply.

Kind regards

Lee
MikeOxon

Post by MikeOxon »

Hi Lee. You are off to a running start with those pics. I particularly like the characterful shot of the Comma underside.

You didn't say where these were taken - it's always interesting to know what species are occurring where. Nowadays, Wall Browns have become rather scarce inland, and are mostly found on stony ground near coasts. On the other hand, the Speckled Wood in your photo is, as its name suggests, mainly a woodland butterfly. It's worth checking what the books say about locations and flight times, as these can be important leads in helping to identify your species. Of course, it becomes really interesting when you find something in an unexpected place!

Mike
Rosalyn

Post by Rosalyn »

If you haven't got them already put wildguides britains butterflies and british and irish butterflies, Adrian Riley, on your christmas list :)
lee5243

Post by lee5243 »

MikeOxon wrote:Hi Lee. You are off to a running start with those pics. I particularly like the characterful shot of the Comma underside.

You didn't say where these were taken - it's always interesting to know what species are occurring where. Nowadays, Wall Browns have become rather scarce inland, and are mostly found on stony ground near coasts. On the other hand, the Speckled Wood in your photo is, as its name suggests, mainly a woodland butterfly. It's worth checking what the books say about locations and flight times, as these can be important leads in helping to identify your species. Of course, it becomes really interesting when you find something in an unexpected place!

Mike
Hi MikeOxon,
Thanks very much. I only have a small digital camera but the macro fuction is not bad so mostly used that. I am buying a canon 550D from a friend of mine next month so hopefully get better quality pictures then.
These pictures were taken on the Thames Path National Trail just on the East side of Sonning on the Berks border. They were mostly next to the Thames and surrounding fields filled with wild flowers and nettles.
I like the Comma picture you described alot. Its by far my best and it will be hard to beat i think when i start taking more pics.
Thanks agin for your kind comments

Lee
lee5243

Post by lee5243 »

Rosalyn wrote:If you haven't got them already put wildguides britains butterflies and british and irish butterflies, Adrian Riley, on your christmas list :)
Hi Rosalyn,

Thanks for the advice. I do need a better guide so i will look it up.

Thanks again,

Lee

Return to “Identification”