A Few Butterflies from Kent

Discussion forum for butterfly photography. You can also get your photos reviewed here!
Marc Heath

A Few Butterflies from Kent

Post by Marc Heath »

Hi

With the birding a little quiet at the moment, I have been getting more and more into butteflies and especially the photography side of things. I am currently using a Canon 500d with a Canon F4 300mm lens and hopefully getting some pleasing results. Just out of interest what is a good Macro lens to get? I have attached a few shots from the last few days/weeks, mainly taken in East Blean Woods and Reculver. More can be seen on my blog: http://www.marcheath.blogspot.com

Marc Heath
Attachments
Heath Fritillary, East Blean Wood
Heath Fritillary, East Blean Wood
Small Copper, Reculver
Small Copper, Reculver
Essex Skipper, Reculver
Essex Skipper, Reculver
Brown Argus, Reculver
Brown Argus, Reculver
nigpd

Re: A Few Butterflies from Kent

Post by nigpd »

A very good set Marc. I particularly like the first image..... very "clean".

As for a macro lens, I chose the Canon 100L f2.8 IS USM after much research and opinion gathering on a photography forum. The lens consistently produces excellent results and the IS is particularly useful for handheld shooting. It is a little expensive, but I think it's the best and is a lifetime purchase.

If you need to take a look at some example images using this lens take a look at my Flickr butterfly set http://www.flickr.com/photos/nigpd/sets ... 850963854/
MikeOxon

Post by MikeOxon »

Marc Heath wrote:what is a good Macro lens to get?
Judging by those pics, you're doing a great job with the 300mm! I often use my (Nikon) 70-300mm zoom to get initial shots and then, if the butterfly is benign, move in with my 90mm Tamron macro.

While longer focal length macros (eg 200mm) are often recommended for butterflies, a closer approach does result in a more '3-dimensional' image (long focal lengths tend to flatten perspective). So, since you already have the 300mm, I would suggest a macro in the 100mm range. I believe Canon do a good one and I am very satisfied with my Tamron. Going shorter than 90mm would probably mean that you'd have to get closer than most living creatures will allow, and lighting also becomes a problem if you are very close.

Hope that helps.
Mike
Gruditch
Moderator & Stock Contributor
Moderator & Stock Contributor

Post by Gruditch »

MikeOxon wrote: a closer approach does result in a more '3-dimensional' image (long focal lengths tend to flatten perspective).
Don't know what Mike's on about there. :?

Hi Marc, After using you 300 F4 you will probably hate the working distance of a 100 macro. Are you using an extension tube.

Regards Gruditch
Marc Heath

Post by Marc Heath »

Hi

I just use the Canon 300mm lens, I do have a Canon 1.4 converter which i put on for birding but as forthe butterflies, just the 300mm. I can get to within about 1.5 metres range of them with this lens. How close does a 100mm macro let you get then in real life and are you always scaring the target away by getting too close?

Marc
MikeOxon

Post by MikeOxon »

Gruditch wrote:Don't know what Mike's on about there. :?
When I have pics of the same butterfly with the 300mm and the 90mm, I find that I almost always prefer the closer shot. Perhaps it's just a matter of taste or the greater sense of achievement!
Brown Argus at Sliding Hill, Oxon 13/05/2010<br />Nikon D300s with Tamron 90mm macro<br />1/250s, f/16, ISO400
Brown Argus at Sliding Hill, Oxon 13/05/2010
Nikon D300s with Tamron 90mm macro
1/250s, f/16, ISO400
BnArgusface.jpg (43.19 KiB) Viewed 314 times
Mike

Return to “Photography”