Goldie M Adonis

Discussion forum for anything that doesn't fit elsewhere!
Goldie M

Goldie M Adonis

Post by Goldie M »

I'm going to visit my daughter who lives in Canterbury next weekend for two weeks, can anybody tell me of a good place to see the Adonis Blue has I've never seen it. :?: I will be down there again in August as well ,the beginning ,again for two weeks so I think I'll have a good chance of finding it. I tried last year to find Lynden Down I even down loaded a map, we found Lynden ok but hadn't a clue about the Down every where loked the same, maybe we didn't go far enough or some thing , it was frustrating :!: We also tried the White Cliffs, people said they used to be there, too no avail. Is Lynden Down a Country Park or somthing :?: If it is that explains why we didn't find it. Goldie
FISHiEE

Re: Goldie M Adonis

Post by FISHiEE »

Hi Goldie,

Lydden and Temple Ewell Nature reserve is where you're after:

http://www.kentwildlifetrust.org.uk/res ... r-reserve/

It's got Adonis Blues. I wouldn't say masses, but they are there. The place has thousands of Chalkhill Blues plus Common Blues, Brown Argus, Marbled Whites, Silver Spotted Skipper, etc. in July/August/September. One of my favourite places when I was in Kent. Get there at sunrise and they will be at your mercy with a camera :) I'd think August would be a much better bet for the Adonis Blues.

The place had loads of Wasp Spiders too which I quite liked, though numbers seemd to vary quite a bit from year to year.

I can give you more info if required such as where I've seen certain things etc. There's quite a lot of up and down, but it's well worth it.

Another spot I have seen good numbers of Adonis Blues, and not much else but Adonis, is at a place near Crundale, just north of Wye. I wouldn't say it was one of my favourite locations, but there were plenty of Adonis Blues the time I visited there a couple of years ago.
Goldie M

Re: Goldie M Adonis

Post by Goldie M »

I've just got back from Kent, having stayed longer than I thought, so just got your input Fishiee. I found Lydden ok, but couldn't find the nature reserve. I didn't know it was called Temple Ewell. I'll be back there in August so I'll try to find it then. I'm not sure where Crundale is though :?: I'll have to get a map of the place. I was too late for the Adonis this time so hope i'll hit the jackpot next time. I did manage to take shots of Nineteen differant butterflies though so I came away happy. :lol: Thanks again Goldie.

Return to “General”