Brown Hairstreak (Early Stages)

Vince Massimo
Administrator & Stock Contributor

Re: Brown Hairstreak (Early Stages)

Post by Vince Massimo »

Thanks for your replies and comments everybody :D .

The first hatching occurred on the morning of 5th July, which was a few days earlier than expected. L2 spent 32 days as a pupa and emerged as a male. At about 4 days prior to hatching, the pupa started to darken in the area around the wings and this gradually spread to the whole pupal case, which became completly black.
Brown Hairstreak Pupa (L1) typical colouration 15-June-11
Brown Hairstreak Pupa (L1) typical colouration 15-June-11
Brown Hairstreak Pupa (L2) 4 days before hatching 1-July-11
Brown Hairstreak Pupa (L2) 4 days before hatching 1-July-11
Brown Hairstreak Pupa (L2) 3 days before hatching 2-July-11
Brown Hairstreak Pupa (L2) 3 days before hatching 2-July-11
Brown Hairstreak Pupa (L2) 1 day before hatching 4-July-11
Brown Hairstreak Pupa (L2) 1 day before hatching 4-July-11
The adult was released back to its site of origin and stayed around for over an hour, occasionally taking sips of the sugar solution that I had sprayed onto the leaves of the plant.
Brown Hairstreak Male (L2) freshly hatched 5-July-11
Brown Hairstreak Male (L2) freshly hatched 5-July-11
The revised hatching dates for L3 and L1 are 13th July and 15th July respectively. I suspect that L1 may be a female, judging by its slightly broader abdominal area, but time will tell and I will post a final update when both have emerged.

Vince
Susie

Post by Susie »

That's fantastic, Vince. Great news and an absolutely fascinating set of photographs.

Just as an aside, i've been meaning to look for wild brown hairstreaks as the hemp agrimony in my garden has just started to flower. Also I saw something which looked brown hairstreak like flying near a round about near buchan country park on saturday, I was driving so couldnt get a proper id and it could have been purple but I dont think so.
Vince Massimo

Post by Vince Massimo »

Here is the last installment of the Brown Hairstreak story, which deals with the most important outstanding issue.......................................................is "Sue" (L3) a boy or a girl?

Both of the remaining pupae (L1 and L3) hatched within minutes of each other on the morning of 13th July. The pupal stages lasted 30 and 32 days respectively and followed on from the 32-day development stage of the male (L2) which culminated on 5th July. These early emergence dates were expected because the eggs hatched 2-3 weeks early. Eggs being monitored in the wild were also reported to have hatched at this same time and the first sighting of an adult was a male in Bernwood Forest, Buckinghamshire on 11th July. This compares with a first sighting date of 24th July last year and 13th July in 2008.

In my previous post I speculated that, based upon the relative broadness of the abdominal area of the pupa, L1 would be a female.
Brown Hairstreak pupa (L1) 2-July-11 (top view - possible female)
Brown Hairstreak pupa (L1) 2-July-11 (top view - possible female)
Brown Hairstreak pupa (L1) 2-July-11 (side view)
Brown Hairstreak pupa (L1) 2-July-11 (side view)
As the pupa gradually darkened-up the wing-case area began to show signs of dark orange colouration (Female!).
Brown Hairstreak pupa (L1) 10-July-11 (3 days before hatching)
Brown Hairstreak pupa (L1) 10-July-11 (3 days before hatching)
Brown Hairstrteak pupa (L1) 12-July-11 (1 day before hatching)
Brown Hairstrteak pupa (L1) 12-July-11 (1 day before hatching)
In the meantime Sue (L3), remained typically mysterious because the pupa started off darker than usual and just continued to get darker, but the abdominal shape suggested a female.............and so she was :D .

Hatching day was disappointingly overcast, so I concentrated on trying to get some record shots in the conservatory before risking outdoor shots at the release site in Crawley, Sussex. This turned out to be the right decision because only a few of the later images were worth keeping.
Brown Hairstreak Female (L1) 13-July-11
Brown Hairstreak Female (L3) Sue/Susie 13-July-11 upon release
Brown Hairstreak Female (L3) Sue/Susie 13-July-11 upon release
This has been an absolutly fascinating and enjoyable project for me and I am particularly greatful to Susie for her advice and encouragement. I hope that this has generated greater interest in the subject of "early stages" and thank everyone for their comments so far.

Some of the larval and pupal images will soon be posted in the appropriate sections of the Species Album.

Vince
Pawpawsaurus

Post by Pawpawsaurus »

Vince Massimo wrote:This has been an absolutly fascinating and enjoyable project for me ...
I've found it the same, and not a little educational. Your photos have been absolutely first class, and the accompanying descriptions very readable and informative. Top marks to you. :)

Last year at Whitecross Green Wood I saw my first ever Brown Hairstreak, but I managed to find only four in three visits to the area. I'm keen to find them a little closer to home this year.

Paul
Last edited by Pawpawsaurus on Sat Jul 16, 2011 8:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Susie

Post by Susie »

An enthralling set of images, Vince. You should be really proud of what you have achieved. :-)

Return to “General”