French species ID - Non-Pyrgus

Discussion forum for getting a butterfly identified.
David M

French species ID - Non-Pyrgus

Post by David M »

Following my other request for assistance with the notoriously difficult Pyrgus, here are a few more species that I have still to identify conclusively:

I saw 3 different Erebia, but cannot see past Scotch Argus for any of them (even though there are subtle differences between the butterflies photographed and the guide book's depiction of aethiops. I'm confident 1 and 3 are the same species but in 2 there are only three forewing spots rather than four.

Butterfly 1

This first one was seen on heathland about 750m up

Butterfly 2

This one was lower down in the woodland itself

Butterfly 3

This one was seen in a different location, again in fairly dense woodland

David M

Re: French species ID - Non-Pyrgus

Post by David M »

There were plenty of Graylings about, and my view is that the following butterfly is Hipparchia semele. That said, if this is the case, then Graylings in S. France are considerably larger than those in the UK. The following photos are of a roadside casualty on the Causse Méjean. It looks like a male, but it was still pretty big and would exceed the normal dimensions of a UK female semele.

Butterfly 4

David M

Post by David M »

Found this Fritillary near the bank of the River Tarn and I immediately noticed a difference between it and the numerous Heath Fritillaries that fly in this area. To me, it's a toss up between Meadow Fritillary and Provençal Fritillary. Anyone know for sure?

Butterfly 5

David M

Post by David M »

Pretty sure both these individuals are Mallow Skipper:

Butterfly 6

Butterfly 7

Reverdin

Post by Reverdin »

Hi David.... my guess would be the first erebia butterfly is meolans, Piedmont, with that little apical spot deflected laterally, second looks like two different butterflies to me.. medusa, Woodland, and another Piedmont... but I'm not sure. The third one looks like medusa or oeme, bright eyed, depending on it's antennae. for the Frit, I would go for Knapweed... now I suggest wait for someone like Guy to say!! :lol:
Padfield
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Padfield »

I think all the Erebia are meolans. That was my instant impression on looking through them and now looking back more carefully I can't find any real reason to doubt that ID. I agree oeme is very variable and can look like that last one, but so can meolans, which is also an incredibly variable species!

I agree the grayling is semele and the skippers alceae. For myself, I'm pretty confident the fritillary is athalia, though that hasn't been suggested yet.

Guy

EDIT - I'm changing my mind on the last Erebia and now actually prefer oeme. An underside would be definitive!!
Guy's Butterflies: https://www.guypadfield.com
The Butterflies of Villars-Gryon : https://www.guypadfield.com/villarsgryonbook.html
David M

Post by David M »

padfield wrote:I think all the Erebia are meolans. That was my instant impression on looking through them and now looking back more carefully I can't find any real reason to doubt that ID. I agree oeme is very variable and can look like that last one, but so can meolans, which is also an incredibly variable species!

I agree the grayling is semele and the skippers alceae. For myself, I'm pretty confident the fritillary is athalia, though that hasn't been suggested yet.

Guy

EDIT - I'm changing my mind on the last Erebia and now actually prefer oeme. An underside would be definitive!!
Thanks, Guy. I had looked at meolans but must confess to not even giving consideration to oeme. I'm afraid the last example flew off without me getting an underside shot, but it was in pretty dense pine/chestnut dominated woodland which surprised me, as even Marbled Whites weren't up for that!

Return to “Identification”