July 2011

Discussion forum for sightings.
Gibster

Re: July 2011

Post by Gibster »

A day of mixed fortunes - set off early and was a Cliffe Pools RSPB by 7am. Six hours later I figured I'd missed the Southern Emerald Damselflies (but good numbers of Common and Scarce Damsels) Then on to Abbeymeads Pit at New Hythe where there was no sign of the Lesser Emperor Dragonfly. In desperation headed to Denbies Hillside where I realised that butterflies are much friendlier than Odonates! Loads of Marbled Whites, three Dark Green Frits over Steers Mead, a very knackered female Adonis Blue, an exceedingly fresh male Common Blue and fair numbers of Chalkhill Blues including one with the underside forewing spots replaced by elongated dashes and another with underside hindwing spots absent. Susie, Chalkhilll abs are at Denbies!!!! Several males seemed darker than usual, greyer across the outer upper forewings than I'm used to seeing. At 5pm there was an incredible mass emergence of male Yellow Meadow Ants erupting across the hillside and into the sky, soon followed by the queens. A truly stunning spectacle to behold, and in greater numbers than the usual Black Ant mating flight swarms. I soon discovered that Yellow Meadow Ants taste 'orrible. Finally finished the day at Malden Rushett in search of WLH, but had to make do with Purple Hairstreaks instead. 22 butterfly species seen today and yesterday without visiting woodland...and I'm off work tomorrow too! :D

Gibster.
Raising £10,000 for Butterfly Conservation by WALKING 1200 miles from Land's End to John O'Groats!!!
See http://www.justgiving.com/epicbutterflywalk or look up Epic Butterfly Walk on Facebook.
Susie

Post by Susie »

Hey Gibster! I was at Denbies today and must have looked at dozens and dozens if not a hundred of male chalkhills and there seemed to be a huge amount of variation between them but nothing I could describe as really aberrant except for one chap which was crippled and I got very excited over initially before deciding it wasn't unusual. I envy you your abs, any photos? Any chance you could pm me where you saw the abs, please? :D I hope to get back there a few times over the next few weeks so hopefully I'll find some more.
millerd

Post by millerd »

There were Chalkhill aberrations there last year - like this one. Interesting if they turn up again, particularly after the Adonis emergence earlier in the year. I wonder how the second brood will do?

Dave
Attachments
ChB Ab2 resized.jpg
Susie

Post by Susie »

Ooooh, nice! I am very envious! :mrgreen:
Gibster

Post by Gibster »

Yep, that's the boy!

Susie, you've been PMed

Gibster.
Raising £10,000 for Butterfly Conservation by WALKING 1200 miles from Land's End to John O'Groats!!!
See http://www.justgiving.com/epicbutterflywalk or look up Epic Butterfly Walk on Facebook.
MikeOxon

Post by MikeOxon »

We went to Fermyn Wood in glorious sunshine yesterday (Monday 11th). Heavy traffic around Silverstone delayed our arrival until about 10.30am.

Despite plenty of cars in the mouth of the ride opposite the gliding club, there were surprisingly few butterflies on the wing. A visit to the Western ride found lots of Purple Hairstreak in a 'master tree' by the gravel clearing about 200m from the road. Every branch seemed to have hairstreaks looping around it - very active. Eventually, one looped down near enough for a photo - even showing some purple top-surface.
Fermyn Woods - 11th July 2011
Fermyn Woods - 11th July 2011
Later in the day, the best find was this variant Red Admiral on the main ride, which Piers has kindly informed me is known as ab. bialbata. Note the white 'dots' within the red band.
ab. bialbata - Fermyn Woods - 11th July 2011
ab. bialbata - Fermyn Woods - 11th July 2011
We walked through to Lady Wood, which was also very quiet, except for some excitement caused by a White Admiral pretending to be an emperor, on the surface of one of the rides!

Other butterflies seen included Small and Large Skippers, Small and Gv Whites, Holly Blue, Peacock, Comma, Silver-washed Fritillary, Ringlet (lots), and Meadow Brown. Just a couple of probable high-flying Purple Emperors.

Mike
Last edited by MikeOxon on Tue Jul 19, 2011 10:26 am, edited 3 times in total.
millerd

Post by millerd »

There is a report (complete with photo) on the BC Upper Thames Branch website of a Brown Hairstreak seen on July 11th in Bernwood Forest.

Dave
selbypaul

Post by selbypaul »

Visited Lindrick Common near Worksop today. Sadly the sun only briefly made an appearance around lunchtime. Saw a couple of Marbled White, two tatty Dark Green Fritillary, a number of Ringlet, a number of Meadow Brown, all three common Whites, and my first Gatekeeper of the year.

All in all, this was overall a disappointing tally. The same week last year I'd had numerous Scotch Argus and Silver Studded Blue, and the Marbled White were abundant. Makes me think that the site isn't a self sustaining site, as many pointed out in this forum last year.

Also had a view of a Small/Essex Skipper in the distance through binoculars. It appeared to have dark tipped antenae, indicating Essex, but could not be sure.
-------
Back home and was extremely pleased to find a fresh looking Small Copper in the garden, my first ever. Even better, it was patrolling the Common Sorrell I'd planted specifically for this species - really pleased!
Hugh Middleton

Post by Hugh Middleton »

Paul, nearly called in there this afternoon after 'twitching' the Marsh Sandpiper Cloudy conditions meant I went to the Limewoods nearer home. Reliable sightings of a Black Hairstreak and Purple Hairstreaks but sadly non seen.
Again lots of Ringlet, 3 White Admirals, a few Peacock, GV Whites , Red Admiral and Small Skippers.
The cloud and wind meant many were not flying much so this may have been the case for you at Lindrick. Thanks for posting about that site and for the directions.

Hugh
Gibster

Post by Gibster »

Despite the threat of rain, I boldly dragged Sami up to Denbies Hillside in search of Chalkhill Blue abberations. Sods Law, today I had the camera - but couldn't find any abs!
We saw plenty of 'normal' looking Chalkhill Blues, a few Brown Argus, Small Skippers, an Essex Skipper for Sam's yearlist, our first Painted Lady of 2011 and lots of Marbled Whites.

It struck me that a large percentage of the Marbled Whites at Denbies are carrying red mites, something I've noticed at other sites too. But none of the Meadow Browns or skippers I saw had any mite infestation. I think I have seen red mites on other species (Ringlet?) but it seems pretty much the norm for Marbled Whites.

Why is this? I can't find anything in my literature.

Cheers,

Gibster.
Michaeljf

Post by Michaeljf »

Hi all,
for all those interested - not sure if this has been covered elsewhere - David Redhead has reported the first Brown Hairstreak in Oxfordshire (as opposed to Vince's lovely blog).

A bit late...but I really enjoyed Bill (Willrow)'s comments regardingly Oversley Woods :wink: I would've posted in reply earlier but as predicted elsewhere we've just been down to Kent (Royal St Georges, Sandwich) to enjoy some of the practice days for the upcoming British Open Golf. I'm pleased to report that on non-golfing matters, there are plenty of Marbled Whites, Meadow Browns, Peacocks and Red Admirals flying about the course. And a local Kestral around the 4th tee. Also plenty of Vipers Bugloss and Ladys Bedstraw around the course. Hopefully the crowds won't trample down too much of the local wildlife over the tournament. :)

Gibster - on your point regarding the Marbled Whites, the population at Prestbury Hill (Cheltenham) always have Red Mites too.

Michael
Lee Hurrell
Stock Contributor
Stock Contributor

Post by Lee Hurrell »

Hey Seth,

I used to see red mites on Marbled Whites at Birling Gap as a kid, nearly without fail, but can't recall seeing them elsewhere.

It is depicted in the new Thomas/Lewington book but I'm not sure it says why they suffer so badly.

Cheers

Lee
To butterfly meadows, chalk downlands and leafy glades; to summers eternal.
Cotswold Cockney

Post by Cotswold Cockney »

April 2011 was the finest April for butterflies I've ever know in my lifetime. One day I counted 20+ Hoily Blues passing through my garden, the females checking the various shrubs suitable for the ova.

Next door have a mature female Holly Bush, it's the females which have the berries the Holly Blue larvae feed up on. Month or so ago Ichecked some of the branches growiung over the wall and spotted two half grown larvae on the berries.

Last Thursday 7th July, whilst working on one of my old cars which are now my main interest, I spotted something on the pavement closeby which looked like a blue flower petal. My instinct told me to take a closer look. Glad I did. My blue petal was a freshly emerged female Holly Blue, still limp freshly expanded wings easily flexing in the gusty wind. I coaxed the insect onto my finger and placed it on a nearby shrub.

I got a picture of it whilst on the ground. Not sharp as the gusting strong wind and less than ideal camera made a good picture difficult. Here it is anyway.

Later that same day, what at first appeared to be a Red Admiral passing through I immediately afterwards realised was a day flying Scarlet Tiger. There are a number of strong colonies of this beautiful moth on the nearby hills. The nearest to me about three miles away around Painswick Beacon. As a schoolboy during the early 1950s, my friend and I found several larvae of this moth around the Haresfield Beacon Area. So, we had seen the larvae before ever seeing the moth which I'm pleased to report is still found in the exact same site in good numbers as it was back in those 1950s.
Cotswold Cockney is the name
All aspects of Natural History is my game.
Lee Hurrell
Stock Contributor
Stock Contributor

Post by Lee Hurrell »

I doubt there are many species you could say that about CC, but that is lovely to hear.

Cheers

Lee
To butterfly meadows, chalk downlands and leafy glades; to summers eternal.
Pete Eeles
Administrator & Stock Contributor
Administrator & Stock Contributor

Post by Pete Eeles »

Crispin wrote:Spent much of today lying down on 30 degree slope looking for larvae or pupa - I got bloody sore elbows from the dry chalky ground and the stem-less thistles! :evil:

But I found what I was looking for ... First I found the silky web above then this fully grown Silver-spotted Skipper lava. I expect most are pupa by now.
Very nice find!

Cheers,

- Pete
Life Cycles of British & Irish Butterflies: http://www.butterflylifecycles.com
British & Irish Butterflies Rarities: http://www.butterflyrarities.com
NickB

Post by NickB »

Lots (100+) of Chalk-hill Blue at Burwell Cutting yesterday, plus a Peacock, RA, ST, several Small White, with a few Gatekeeper, MB, Essex & Small Skipper, CB, BA and odd Small Heath.
Nice to see 2 Small Copper too and some more of these crazy long-horn moths...
Nemophora metallica_2_low_Burwell_12th_July_2011.jpg
Essex_Sk_1_low_Burwell_12th_July_2011.jpg
CHB_m_8_low_Burwell_12th_July_2011.jpg
BA_1_low_Burwell_12th_July_2011.jpg
A few deformed and some very small CHB males around this year....
"Conservation starts in small places, close to home..."
Wurzel
Stock Contributor
Stock Contributor

Post by Wurzel »

Managed to squeeze in an hour at Five Rivers in between dropping off and picking up my older daughter from Rainbows. Great light, lovely and warm. A single Small White, single Speckled Wood, 2 Brown Argus, 2 Gatekeepers (male), 10+ Marbled White, 3 Ringlet, 30+ Meadow Brown and 15+ Smessex Skippers - with 2 definite Essex (male and female). Photos and more on personal diary

Cheers, have a goodun

Wurzel
Hoggers

Post by Hoggers »

Went to Cumbria for a two day outing from Kent and saw :

On 12th July - Three Mountain Ringlets at Fleetwith close to the Drum House ;

On 13th July - At Meathop Moss, approximately 12 Large Heaths; and at Whitbarrow, 7 High Browns, many Dark Greens, two Small Pearl-bordered Fritillaries, 6 Northern Brown Argus, 14 Grayling, many Small Heaths and Common Blues, Ringlets, Meadow Browns, Red Admiral, Small Tortoiseshells and Speckled Woods.

A fantastic trip with lots of sunshine and many glorious butterflies.
vawn

Post by vawn »

Today, out walking on the coastal path, I spotted dozens of Meadow Browns, a Comma, a Speckled Wood and 3 Ringlets having a fight but yesterday, in my garden, I saw a really big, pale blue butterfly, it was about 5cm across flitting around my privet and it had no marks on the edge of its wings, I also saw my first Brimstone :D oh and yesterday I also saw 2 holly blues and a really really tiny blue too. And I was starting to think I was never gunna see butterflies again lol
but yeah that blue, any ideas?
[FONT=Comic Sans MS][FONT=Comic Sans MS]Image[/FONT]
nick patel

Post by nick patel »

c.10-15 mountain ringlet at cold pike today, also large heaths at meathop.

Return to “Sightings”