Countryfile Sunday 3rd July - Large Blue

Discussion forum for books and any other media concerning butterflies.
Lee Hurrell
Stock Contributor
Stock Contributor

Countryfile Sunday 3rd July - Large Blue

Post by Lee Hurrell »

There is a feature on the Large Blue in Gloucestershire on tonight's programme - BBC1, 7pm.

Cheers

Lee
To butterfly meadows, chalk downlands and leafy glades; to summers eternal.
Susie

Re: Countryfile Sunday 3rd July - Large Blue

Post by Susie »

I enjoyed that apart from where they called a large skipper a moth. Ye gods. :wink:
Lee Hurrell
Stock Contributor
Stock Contributor

Post by Lee Hurrell »

I know.... :roll:
Susie

Post by Susie »

I love it when I can feel superior. Doesn't happen very often! :wink: :lol:
Butterfly Gardener

Post by Butterfly Gardener »

I yelled at the screen when that happened :lol:

Also how many times did the presenters let us know that they "haven't been seen in the Cotswolds for 50 years".

I used to enjoy Countryfile but lately I think the quality has dropped quite a bit and I rarely watch a full show without getting bored or frustrated and switching channel.
m_galathea

Post by m_galathea »

I thought the BBC did a really good job with this. Three of my (non butterfly watching) friends commented on the article, and all learnt something about the Large Blue.
The presenters took an interest in it, in complete contrast to that Adrian fool who used to present the One Show, who commented "It's large and it's blue".
mud-puddling

Post by mud-puddling »

Did anyone else notice that one of Bob Eade's photos was showcased as part of this years entries in the photographic competition?
Susie

Post by Susie »

Yes, I noticed that too.
Dave McCormick

Post by Dave McCormick »

I yelled at the screen when that happened :lol:
So did I. Was good though, but I wouldn't be sitting on an ant nest
I used to enjoy Countryfile but lately I think the quality has dropped quite a bit and I rarely watch a full show without getting bored or frustrated and switching channel.
Starting to feel the same about it, just watch it if there is something that might interest me, otherwise I don't. Been watching Popstar to Operastar on ITV so not been watching much of countryfile lately but had to see the blues.
Cheers all,
My Website: My new website: http://daveslepidoptera.com/ - Last Update: 11/10/2011
My Nature videos: http://www.youtube.com/user/DynamixWarePro
millerd

Post by millerd »

I watched this on i-Player last night, and became really frustrated with the dumbed-down style of presentation. Why does every article in this magazine programme have to be split into five or six bits, with each subsequent bit reiterating the content of the previous one (or two, or three...) and looking forward to the next?

I suppose I know the answer: the meat of the article is only about five minutes or so viewing time, but doing it the episodic way allows this to expand to a good fifteen. If you cut out the repetition and the skipper faux pas, there would have been about five to ten minutes at most of quality television about a fascinating subject.

I am rare in no longer possessing a telly, but I pick items of interest for watching on i-Player later (for which I don't need a licence - Hoorah!). What I notice when I do look at documentaries and broadcasts like "Countryfile" is that they are so lacking in content and depth these days compared to their erstwhile selves of ten years ago. HD quality images and huge screens in no way make up for dismal content.

I'm pleased to see the Large Blue goes from strngth to strength though.

Dave
Lee Hurrell
Stock Contributor
Stock Contributor

Post by Lee Hurrell »

To be honest I only record it for the week's weather! And to see if Ellie Harrison is presenting of course....

But luckily the Large Blue was the lead story in the Radio Times otherwise I would have missed it. But it is good to hear how well it's doing and especially on prime time.

The show did have a small feature on my relative's village in Worcestershire a few months back but it was blink and you'll miss it...

Cheers

Lee
Piers

Post by Piers »

millerd wrote:I watched this on i-Player last night, and became really frustrated with the dumbed-down style of presentation. Why does every article in this magazine programme have to be split into five or six bits, with each subsequent bit reiterating the content of the previous one (or two, or three...) and looking forward to the next?
It probably reflects the diminishing attention spans. I have heard it referred to as 'Classic FM' syndrome.

I listened to an interesting programme on the wireless the other day about the future of 'e-books'. E-books shall allow people just to dip into the parts of novels/plays etc. that they want to read, rather than having to go to the trouble of reading the entire work. Just in the same way that people now choose to down load a particular movement (or part of a movement) of a symphonic work, or track from a rock album, so they don't have to listen to the complete work.

Information has to be delivered in tweets and soundbites these days for people to be able to absorb it. It's not for me to say whether this is a good or a bad thing, but it may go some way to explain why information is delivered the way it is in magazine programmes lately.

But I digress. My apologies for that...

Piers.
Butterfly Gardener

Post by Butterfly Gardener »

Piers wrote:
Information has to be delivered in tweets and soundbites these days for people to be able to absorb it.
Is that really true? Or is it more a question of the people at the top thinking that this is the case?
Dave McCormick

Post by Dave McCormick »

Butterfly Gardener wrote:
Piers wrote:
Information has to be delivered in tweets and soundbites these days for people to be able to absorb it.
Is that really true? Or is it more a question of the people at the top thinking that this is the case?
Well the way I see it, not everyone is going to like every part of a show like this, they tune in to see what they want to see and pay less attention to the rest. With everyone being in a rush these days for one thing or another, we really don't have time to appreciate everything, so sound bites and tweets are the best way to absorb information.
Cheers all,
My Website: My new website: http://daveslepidoptera.com/ - Last Update: 11/10/2011
My Nature videos: http://www.youtube.com/user/DynamixWarePro
Zonda

Post by Zonda »

Well the way I see it, not everyone is going to like every part of a show like this, they tune in to see what they want to see and pay less attention to the rest. With everyone being in a rush these days for one thing or another, we really don't have time to appreciate everything, so sound bites and tweets are the best way to absorb information.
That is probably the case, and i applaud the butterfly inclusion. Ellie Harrison,,,,,, face like an angel,,,, walks like a sheep farmer. Sorry gal.
Cheers,,, Zonda.
Lee Hurrell
Stock Contributor
Stock Contributor

Post by Lee Hurrell »

:lol:
Wurzel
Stock Contributor
Stock Contributor

Post by Wurzel »

Just seen tonight's Countryfile and next week they'll be featuring Brown Hairstreaks. Also this week they were on the Channel Islands and mentioned the mild weather and so early springs there - would that mean longer seasons for the imago (lasting longer) or would they have more broods?

Have a goodun

Wurzel
Michaeljf

Post by Michaeljf »

They've been asking several contacts for good video footage of the Brown Hairstreak for the programme. I mentioned this to our own Paul Wetton a couple of weeks back and he'd already submitted some of his excellent DVD work to them, so they may yet be using his work. Must set the recorder for next week's programme anyway :).

Michael
David M

Post by David M »

I was about to post a forewarning regarding this. Next week's edition should be particularly interesting to UKB members.

Don't miss it!
Susie

Post by Susie »

Yes, likewise I was going to mention it. I am preparing to be disaappointed though.

Return to “Books, Articles, Videos, TV”