Heath Fritillary....eventually!

Discussion forum for butterfly photography. You can also get your photos reviewed here!
steveh

Heath Fritillary....eventually!

Post by steveh »

Well after so many years of living close to and wanting to see this butterfly I eventually had some luck.
We have had some rotten weather here lately ..heavy rain on friday and yesterday there was occasional sunshine so I thought I would have a look.
After wandering flooded paths for a few hours I had not been down before and seeing Speckled Woods..(too much dog poo,one dobermann,two staffs and several other dogs that made me jump out my skin).Holly Blues,the first ever Hornet I have ever seen and they are MASSIVE :shock: ..

I FINALLY found a newly hatched Heath waiting for it's wings to straighten hanging on some cow wheat. :D

Once I eventually got my camera set up there must have been at least 30 Heaths flying,emerging or mating and it was a brilliant sight!
Im sure it more luck with the amount I saw..I thought at the time how an these be so rare if there is so many??
These were truly fascinating to watch go about their very busy business.

I went back today to the same spot to try and take some better photos..didn't see any!?! :?:

Photos below include a pair together which then went on to be mating?

If anyone can tell me if they know the difference between male/female that would be appreciated
Regards
Steve

My personal photo website http://stevehale.zenfolio.com/
Pete Eeles
Administrator & Stock Contributor
Administrator & Stock Contributor

Post by Pete Eeles »

Hi Steve - great shots! I assume these were in East Blean woods?

Anyway - in terms of the photos you've provided - the "front" individual is definitely female, judging by the size of the abdomen. The chappy behind is almost certainly a male. A tip I was once given is that the male is easy to distinguish since its abdomen is not crammed full of eggs, and therefore protrudes beyond the wings - as shown in your photo.

Having said that, this species has a rather peculiar habit of being extremely sociable - with individuals often sitting side-by-side for no apparent reason (other than the perch is good for absorbing the sun's rays!).

This species is highly localised - so I'm not surprised you saw so many in such a small area. You're probably seeing 25% of the UK population!

In terms of male/female differences, the (as usual!) female is generally the larger of the two, and has more rounded wings. It is often duller in comparison to the male.

Cheers,

- Pete
Martin

Post by Martin »

Great shots Steve...you're a lucky, lucky fella! :D

Martin
Bill S

Post by Bill S »

Superb shots Steve, thanks for sharing.

Bill
steveh

Post by steveh »

Pete Eeles wrote:Hi Steve - great shots! I assume these were in East Blean woods?

Anyway - in terms of the photos you've provided - the "front" individual is definitely female, judging by the size of the abdomen. The chappy behind is almost certainly a male. A tip I was once given is that the male is easy to distinguish since its abdomen is not crammed full of eggs, and therefore protrudes beyond the wings - as shown in your photo.

Having said that, this species has a rather peculiar habit of being extremely sociable - with individuals often sitting side-by-side for no apparent reason (other than the perch is good for absorbing the sun's rays!).

This species is highly localised - so I'm not surprised you saw so many in such a small area. You're probably seeing 25% of the UK population!

In terms of male/female differences, the (as usual!) female is generally the larger of the two, and has more rounded wings. It is often duller in comparison to the male.

Cheers,

- Pete
Pete,
Thanks for the brilliant reply!
Yes this was in East Blean woods.
Looking at the shots with your male/female advice I can see the difference.So many thanks for that.

Cheers to Martin and Bill too :D
My personal photo website http://stevehale.zenfolio.com/

Return to “Photography”