june 2011

Discussion forum for sightings.
NickB

Re: june 2011

Post by NickB »

..there are in fact a series of doppelgänger Neil's working round the country.
How else is he everywhere at the same time...?
He does move in mysterious ways.....
N
"Conservation starts in small places, close to home..."
Dave McCormick

Post by Dave McCormick »

admiral halsey wrote:
MikeOxon wrote:I can start by confidently stating: definitely not a dragonfly.

This insect has only two wings, which places it firmly in the Diptera. I think I can see one of the halteres, which are the little balance weights that hind-wings evolved into in the diptera (true flies).

The abdomen shape indicates a female and the long legs and short antennae point to Crane Flies (Tipulidae). The commonest, and most likely is T. oleracea but I am not sufficiently expert to state that with confidence. The larvae of these are the notorious "leather jackets", which cause much crop destruction.

Mike
Thanks Mike. I had my doubts about it being a dragonfly, though I'm sure you can understand my difficulty when seeing the Club tailed Dragonfly. The markings are quite similar. With your information, I think it points to a member of the Tiger Crane Fly family.

Rich
Hi,

Your crane-fly is a Spotted Crane-Fly (Nephrotoma appendiculata). There is a similar, related species with a dark smudge on wing, N. quadrifaria.
Cheers all,
My Website: My new website: http://daveslepidoptera.com/ - Last Update: 11/10/2011
My Nature videos: http://www.youtube.com/user/DynamixWarePro
millerd

Post by millerd »

MikeOxon wrote:
millerd wrote:An extra point of interest was an orchid: there are none of any sort anywhere nearby - can anyone I/D from this photo?
Your orchid is a Bee Orchid (Ophrys apifera) Where was it? They tend to thrive on rough waste grassland on chalk soils, often at the side of paths where the ground gets compressed.

Mike
The orchid was in the middle of a path, where the surface is compressed rubble with a thin carpet of grass and low-growing plants (cranesbill, rock rose). However, it's definitely not chalky. The underlying soil is gravel, which I believe is part of the Thames river terrace system. I was surprised to see it, to be honest.
Thanks for the I/D, Mike!

Dave
dilettante

Post by dilettante »

MikeOxon wrote: Your orchid is a Bee Orchid (Ophrys apifera) Where was it? They tend to thrive on rough waste grassland on chalk soils, often at the side of paths where the ground gets compressed.
What a great evolutionary strategy: I'm a delicate flower and I'm only going to grow in heavily-trampled areas :D
andy brown

Post by andy brown »

Had the Afternoon a Magbalene amazing amount of Marbeled whites, meadow browns, Ringlets, a couple of hangers on here are a few pics with a couple of nice surprises :D
Skipper.jpg
Ringlet 1.jpg
Ringlet.jpg
Small Heath.jpg
Common Blue.jpg
Brown Argus.jpg
5 spot.jpg
6 Spot.jpg
Holly Blue 1.jpg
Holly Blue 1.jpg
Clouded Yellow.jpg
Attachments
Holly Blue.jpg
Dave McCormick

Post by Dave McCormick »

dilettante wrote:
MikeOxon wrote: Your orchid is a Bee Orchid (Ophrys apifera) Where was it? They tend to thrive on rough waste grassland on chalk soils, often at the side of paths where the ground gets compressed.
What a great evolutionary strategy: I'm a delicate flower and I'm only going to grow in heavily-trampled areas :D
Well plants are more stronger than they look, case of "Beauty beats the Beast" for this one :D
Cheers all,
My Website: My new website: http://daveslepidoptera.com/ - Last Update: 11/10/2011
My Nature videos: http://www.youtube.com/user/DynamixWarePro
Hugh Middleton

Post by Hugh Middleton »

Spent the last few days of June at Blakeney in North Norfolk culminating in our 39th wedding anniversary on July 1st. Wanting to ensure we get to our Ruby I tried to control my birding/butterflying :)
Saw the usual 'good' Norfolk birds but no mega rarities about.
Lots of butterflies esp Meadow Browns, Ringlets, 'Whites', Small Tortoiseshells, Red Admirals, Skippers, etc
Highlight was the Wednesday when I was allowed to spent most of the day butterflying.
The morning was spent at Kelling Heath. I had found the site for Silver Studded Blues last year but was too early for them and couldn't get over when they were about. This time i was spot on and saw over a dozen. Was nice to verify the report that they had crossed the road to the car park area and saw several there. Especially enjoyed watching a female egg laying. A real treat!

The afternoon was spent searching for Chalkhill Blues - Thanks ericY for the directions. Alas was too early - no blues of any kind. Lots of meadow Browns,Whites and Skippers and a lovely Banded Demoiselle.

A very pleasant relaxing holiday with some happy 'nature memories'.

Hugh
EricY

Re: june 2011 my Cumbria trip Part 1 jun29 & 30

Post by EricY »

Dashed up to Honister on wed morn from my overnight at Daughters in Sheffield. Cold & windy & missed the previous days good weather. First look at the tramway track to drumhouse was a little daunting for someone of my physical limitations! Managed it with several stops for a breather. No MR's in sight at Drumhouse. Went up the path towards Grey Knotts to the area with a view of buttermere, still cold & no luck after 1.5hrs gave up, then 100yds from drumhouse just one rather poor MR decided to give me a photo chance, sure it was not anywhere near the 15c they are supposed to fly at. Next day Arnside Knot, lots & lots of DGF's & I did manage a resonable underside pic, but no HBF's. Kept meeting a contract researcher doing a survey of HBF's. Mostly DGF's had been found with a couple of HBF's in large clearing to right below cp. Late afternoon I was told 2/3 had been found in little clearing just below the entrance grid. Thought i had no luck there either but later examination of photos produced an image that while not great at least shows the additional underside spots if examined closely, so all was not lost. Lots of Grayling on the hill & they appeared much darker than those we get on Norfolk coast but maybe I have only seen older specimens there. Eric
my one & only Mountain Ringlet
Grayling (darker than I have seen before)
Grayling (darker than I have seen before)
DGF underside
DGF underside
High Brown Frit
High Brown Frit
HBF upperside of one in prev photo
HBF upperside of one in prev photo
Question ? is this one of each. I think lower & darker one is an HBF, am I right?
Question ? is this one of each. I think lower & darker one is an HBF, am I right?
GOLDENORFE

Post by GOLDENORFE »

they both appear to be hbs, the concave rear edge of front wing as opposed to convex in dg.

spotted quite a few hbs at arnside today, the dgs are looking a bit pale in comparison. mostly on the second tier below carpark, although a few on top and 3rd levels. very hot and all flying constantly!
grayling everywhere also
phil
Hugh Middleton

Post by Hugh Middleton »

Having been away on holiday spent a few hours on the local patch of the Lincs Limewoods.
The place was alive with Ringlets - 137 in total.
3 White Admiral
8 Marbled Whites
2 Essex Skippers - my first positively identified this year.
Plus Large Whites, GV Whites, Small Skippers, Red Admiral and Meadow Browns.

And lastly the best - one White Letter Hairstreak. Sadly, only seen and identified through binoculars, so no change of a photo even with my usual pathetic attempts at photography :)

Hugh

Sorry this should be in the July section if anyone is clever enough to move it
Essex Bertie

Post by Essex Bertie »

[quote="admiral halsey"]The pics below are of two Skippers. One of these clearly has the orange underside of the antennae denoting a Small Skipper. In the other it is not clear. Can anyone id it please?

Rich

I think the second one is a Small Skipper as well, Richard. You can just see orange at the very end of the antennae which will continue around the underside. Essex Skipper antennae look as if they've been dipped in black ink, you should see more of these locally in the next week or two as the Small Skippers fade away. Unfortunately, the Small Skipper antennae uppersides can be quite a dark tan so you have to crouch down and sneak up on them from the other side if poss -not an exercise for your Sunday Best.
Cheers
Rob
EricY

Post by EricY »

Thankyou GOLDENORFE for the info on concave/convex HBF/DGF forewing edges. I had not come across this distinction before but have now found it on a site devoted to European bf's. UKB only mentions the small third spot in on the forewing in their upperside differentiation. Adrian Riley only mentions The upper side row of dark spots can be larger but not always in his recent book. I have now checked a lot of photos on the web & my own & concave/convex does seem to fit well. Here are 3 more shots that may or may not adhere to the theory, all taken in the little clearing below the gate at Arnside. Eric
I believe upper is HBF & lower DGF
I believe upper is HBF & lower DGF
Blurred take off by HBF in prev pic, just about pick out the underside spots to confirm HBF
Blurred take off by HBF in prev pic, just about pick out the underside spots to confirm HBF
HBF possibly white wing marked by the researcher to know it had been counted if found in net again?
HBF possibly white wing marked by the researcher to know it had been counted if found in net again?

Return to “Sightings”